Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and the Baja 1000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think I'm in any way suggesting that fuel cells are practical for general transportation? I'm simply talking about the specifics of this one challenge. You're going a bit off topic here.
Hydrogen is horrible for racing. If hydrogen is good for racing, why are they not using it already? I'll answer that for you. Because you get more HP with carbon fuels. That is not off topic. If you want to use a fuel to race use the best fuel for the race. Hydrogen is not it. The fact that hydrogen tech takes up more space than liquid fuels or batteries is exactly on topic. If you build a hydrogen 1000 miles vehicle it will for a fact be larger than a 1000 mile battery vehicle. It will weigh more than ICE. Hydrogen does not store well. Why not just continue to use the better carbon based fuels? That tiny amount of carbon no matter how much they pollute is not really contributing to global warming,

Name one advantage to using a fool cell for the Baja1000 over a standard liquid fuel combustion vehicle besides the carbon which is not relevant to global warming. A 1000 mile fool cell will be larger and weigh more than a 1000 mile gas vehicle.

That is why one must compare gas cars to fool cell cars... to see the huge disadvantages to fool cells. Not to go off topic. Quit guessing whether or not a fool cell vehicle can feasibly go 1000 miles and look it up. A fool cell can go 1000 miles but it is not feasible.

You continue to stay off topic. This is a discussion about one specific individual who wants to use hydrogen in one specific race vehicle not about what's the best fuel for racing or anything else. I never once claimed it was the best fuel for anything, just that it might be easier to implement in a one off vehicle than the Cybertruck in this specific instance. I also said battery swapping might change that. You're having an argument with yourself over things I never said.

Reactions: phantasms
I do wonder if it would even be feasible. The problem is that the fuel cells normally don't put out that much power. Like in the Nikola Semi, if I recall correctly, they had to use two of them to get ~200kW. So they still relied on a fairly large battery pack for acceleration. Given the high power demands of racing you either need a lot, or a really big, fuel cells. Or you have to have a large battery and just use the fuel cell as a range extender. (Well that is really all most fuel cell vehicles are, normally just with fairly small batteries.)

I think they would also have problems keeping the filters for the fuel cells clean enough. The air for them has to be very clean.

So I'm really thinking it would be harder to create a viable fuel cell vehicle for the Baja 1000 than people think.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms and Sudre
You continue to stay off topic. This is a discussion about one specific individual who wants to use hydrogen in one specific race vehicle not about what's the best fuel for racing or anything else. I never once claimed it was the best fuel for anything, just that it might be easier to implement in a one off vehicle than the Cybertruck in this specific instance. I also said battery swapping might change that. You're having an argument with yourself over things I never said.
Wow. Won't even include me in the reply hoping I won't notice. Nice.

I leave you be then. You are absolutely wrong about being off topic. "one specific individual who wants to use hydrogen in one specific race vehicle ".
Talking about hydrogen's problems is exactly on topic. No matter which race or which vehicle. Next time don't quote any of my posts in the first place if you don't want the conversation. When this one specific vehicle (1000 mile range hydro) appears in the Baja1000 let me know. I bet it is discovered it won't work at all. SO how does a dream vehicle beat anything? No one can seriously compare a vehicle that will never be made to one that has already been driving around. It seems you don't understand that. In that case, why does this thread exist?

Probably, which is why I thought he might be talking about an ICE burning hydrogen.

Does that square with this quote:

"I have no idea whether Musk will accept our challenge. My guess is he will not, because he knows, despite his public railing against fuel cells, that hydrogen is better suited than current batteries for the most extreme environments," Glickenhaus said.

Does a hydrogen powered ICE use a fuel cell?

@phantasms any clarification on what kind of hydrogen powered vehicle he was thinking of building?

Aaahhh I didn't understand what this is all about. Cybertruck but without the stock battery but with a bunch of fuel cells? Cool, but who's interested in refining that technology? A lot if not most pro level racing is used in part as a development lab by the manufacturers. If Tesla wanted to perfect fuel cells that would make sense but we know what Tesla's stance is and it's not interested.

No that is not what this is about. Some guy on Twitter challenged Elon saying he would build a custom truck using hydrogen that could beat the Cybertruck.

Ok that's silly. Of course anything that can either be quickly fueled up will win vs. a battery that takes hours to recharge to go another 100 miles. Cybertruck is simply not a viable vehicle to race Baja.

The energy in 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) of hydrogen gas is about the same as the energy in 1 gallon (6.2 pounds, 2.8 kilograms) of gasoline.

Plus the weight (I imagine substantial) of a tank to hold this bomb at 10000+ psi. But refueling is almost like a normal gas car. I imagine for racing you'd need to develop some quick fill coupling which would be pretty tricky for 10K+ psi gas. But back to the basics, the whole thing doesn't make any sense. Electric vehicles can't yet compete in these kind of races, and I doubt there's going to be a lot of interest in developing high output hydrogen engines and fuel systems that are safe enough to race with and quck-fill.

This just in.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.34.31 PM.png