Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck announce prices may actually happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they even ever get it into production. There’s a not-insignificant chance that it’ll end up somewhere between vapor and science fair experiment a la Rivian and never reach full scale production and delivery. I think CT is awesome and I’m by no means a truck guy at all. I just can’t believe a single word that comes out of Musk’s mouth anymore. He ought to consider running for office at this point.

If they even ever get it into production. There’s a not-insignificant chance that it’ll end up somewhere between vapor and science fair experiment a la Rivian and never reach full scale production and delivery. I think CT is awesome and I’m by no means a truck guy at all. I just can’t believe a single word that comes out of Musk’s mouth anymore. He ought to consider running for office at this point.

Did you believe him when he said the prices of Tesla cars were too high to the point of being ridiculous several months ago and something must be done? If you did, congratulations, you weren't surprised by the "surprise price cuts".

Were you surprise when he said he was thinking about buying twitter... and then he did? Or when he said he was going to build a rocket to the moon... and he did?

I think Elon's batting average is close to 800 which is a lot better then a lot of people.. including a lot of politicians... Don't be sad. Perhaps he will become a politician after its all done and said.

Did you believe him when he said the prices of Tesla cars were too high to the point of being ridiculous several months ago and something must be done? If you did, congratulations, you weren't surprised by the "surprise price cuts".

Were you surprise when he said he was thinking about buying twitter... and then he did? Or when he said he was going to build a rocket to the moon... and he did?

I think Elon's batting average is close to 800 which is a lot better then a lot of people.. including a lot of politicians... Don't be sad. Perhaps he will become a politician after its all done and said.
100% correct! What car has Tesla shown that has not come to market yet other than the CT and roadster? I think its more like 1000, just not on the timeline everyone expects but they do come to market.

He had to be forced in court to buy Twitter - which he’s running into the ground. It has lost numerous advertisers and is by his own admission on a rapid course for bankruptcy. A user poll of his leadership was resoundingly no confidence.

He has not yet built a rocket to go to the moon. Artemis is a NASA project (not SpaceX) and their contribution (the lander) has yet to fly. Personally I think it will, and it’ll do fine. They have a very good engineering team.

Credit where it’s due - he did some fantastic things with SpaceX and with Tesla early on. There have been some bumps in the road lately though. Self-driving is a disaster. Cybertruck is a joke. So is the Roadster 2.0. The “refreshed” Model 3 is cheapened and IMO just awful. They need to up their game. Maybe the pricing changes will spike sales and allow for more R&D (which IS expensive) and release of a really great product in the next year or two.

The unsung heroes are the Boring Company and Neuralink. Both show amazing promise. They’re not there yet but are making great strides. IMO they operate mostly in spite of, rather than under the direct dictates of, Musk.

The whole Twitter thing has been an epic disaster.

Musk is a smart guy and has done some amazing things but he’s also a BSer and to some extent, a con man. I just don’t trust the guy. Too much embellishment, distortion of facts, overpromising and outright bogus statements. Your mileage may vary.

He had to be forced in court to buy Twitter - which he’s running into the ground. It has lost numerous advertisers and is by his own admission on a rapid course for bankruptcy. A user poll of his leadership was resoundingly no confidence.

He has not yet built a rocket to go to the moon. Artemis is a NASA project (not SpaceX) and their contribution (the lander) has yet to fly. Personally I think it will, and it’ll do fine. They have a very good engineering team.

Credit where it’s due - he did some fantastic things with SpaceX and with Tesla early on. There have been some bumps in the road lately though. Self-driving is a disaster. Cybertruck is a joke. So is the Roadster 2.0. The “refreshed” Model 3 is cheapened and IMO just awful. They need to up their game. Maybe the pricing changes will spike sales and allow for more R&D (which IS expensive) and release of a really great product in the next year or two.

The unsung heroes are the Boring Company and Neuralink. Both show amazing promise. They’re not there yet but are making great strides. IMO they operate mostly in spite of, rather than under the direct dictates of, Musk.

The whole Twitter thing has been an epic disaster.

Musk is a smart guy and has done some amazing things but he’s also a BSer and to some extent, a con man. I just don’t trust the guy. Too much embellishment, distortion of facts, overpromising and outright bogus statements. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, Musk is a smart guy and has done some amazing things... But yet, you cannot fathom him putting into production a silly thing as a Cyber truck? Ok, whatever.. you be you...

Reactions: whisperingshad
We have seen Cybertruck prototypes with driver's display and a changed dashboard from the original prototype in 2019 that looked more like new Model S / X than 3 / Y.

I think the Cybertruck will cost more than originally presented, for now.

Maybe starting with the quad motor trim and an upgraded "premium" interior with 2 displays and more premium materials for something like $89k and then later offer a cheaper version with a more spartanian interior and the paper / marble dashboard with only one screen as a more practical and cheaper version for businesses and mass production etc.

... If tesla is playing the long game and wants to put the screws to the competition, they will price it low. ...
There is no competition - CT is a niche player at best. If they "put the screws to the competition" I can see a few outcomes - neither is good for Tesla:
1. Competition lowers prices because they can absorb a loss leader in exchange for more sales - which has the result of increased demand, which then satisfies the lower cost for materials - the other players can ramp up fast to meet the demand because they have crazy manufacturing capabilities.*

2. Competition ignores Teslas "cheap" truck knowing they will be backlogged in for 5-10 YEARS because they only have one factory and limited manufacturing capabilities.* People who need a truck NOW will buy one at a higher price.

*Save for Rivian - poor sods haven't got a chance in the long term

There is no competition - CT is a niche player at best. If they "put the screws to the competition" I can see a few outcomes - neither is good for Tesla:
1. Competition lowers prices because they can absorb a loss leader in exchange for more sales - which has the result of increased demand, which then satisfies the lower cost for materials - the other players can ramp up fast to meet the demand because they have crazy manufacturing capabilities.*

2. Competition ignores Teslas "cheap" truck knowing they will be backlogged in for 5-10 YEARS because they only have one factory and limited manufacturing capabilities.* People who need a truck NOW will buy one at a higher price.
I don't think either of these points are valid or logical.

Ford is barely breaking even on the Lightning and have closed down sales (again) for 2023.

What company, that makes trucks, has the capability to produce more than Tesla? This isn't just about Tesla's ultra efficient process, but battery sourcing (more than anything).

My opinion is that IF the CT is priced low, people will buy it despite not liking the way it looks. I don't think the competition can do anything about it just like they aren't going to with EV cars. Ford basically already said they couldn't lower the MachE.

I don't think either of these points are valid or logical.

Ford is barely breaking even on the Lightning and have closed down sales (again) for 2023.

What company, that makes trucks, has the capability to produce more than Tesla? This isn't just about Tesla's ultra efficient process, but battery sourcing (more than anything).

My opinion is that IF the CT is priced low, people will buy it despite not liking the way it looks. I don't think the competition can do anything about it just like they aren't going to with EV cars. Ford basically already said they couldn't lower the MachE.

“EV” trucks…..

Again, if the regular Joe Blow isn’t looking at a Truck right now whether it be ICE or EV they aren’t going to buy a CT.

So if you want to ask which company, look around because there are 3 that are currently pumping out more Trucks than Tesla.

Tesla even with their price cut still has plenty of EV existing inventory. The competition has caught up and are looking at other things in a vehicle other than range and charging capability. The CT will suffer from the bare bones interior and lose to the competition. All those pre-orders from those holding Crypto currency will be let go. It’s not going to be pretty for the CT after the first few months.

I expect CTs to be on the used car market soon after it is released, a lot of people will jump into it thinking they “need a truck” but have never owned one. It’s going to be hilarious.

“EV” trucks…..

Again, if the regular Joe Blow isn’t looking at a Truck right now whether it be ICE or EV they aren’t going to buy a CT.

So if you want to ask which company, look around because there are 3 that are currently pumping out more Trucks than Tesla.
Yes, EV trucks...the topic at hand...and your second point is false.

If the CT is low cost and provides additional value and utility, it will sell.

There were a ton of people who purchased a Ford Maverick who were at Ford Dealerships looking for a sedan (Ford posted some numbers on this, but I'm not going to search for them).

Hell I was looking for an SUV when I purchased my first truck.

edit: It's odd that you said that. In the US Trucks outsell cars...most first time truck buyers came from a car. Just because someone is driving a car or van or other truck today and isn't interested in a new truck in no way eliminates them from buying a CT.

Reactions: henderrj
Yes, EV trucks...the topic at hand...and your second point is false.

If the CT is low cost and provides additional value and utility, it will sell.

There were a ton of people who purchased a Ford Maverick who were at Ford Dealerships looking for a sedan (Ford posted some numbers on this, but I'm not going to search for them).

Hell I was looking for an SUV when I purchased my first truck.

edit: It's odd that you said that. In the US Trucks outsell cars...most first time truck buyers came from a car. Just because someone is driving a car or van or other truck today and isn't interested in a new truck in no way eliminates them from buying a CT.

Ford had no sedans for purchase in their lineup when the Maverick came out.

A traditional truck with great suspension and amenities. The CT isn’t a traditional trucks and has a bare bones interior with a subpar suspension.

Ford had no sedans for purchase in their lineup when the Maverick came out.

A traditional truck with great suspension and amenities. The CT isn’t a traditional trucks and has a bare bones interior with a subpar suspension.
1. That was the point of what Ford released. People came to buy a Fusion and bought a Maverick.
2. It doesn't matter about subpar suspension. If there's value and range, it will sell to people who wouldn't normal like the CT design or even Tesla. That's not really debatable...the level of which that will occur is, but there were a ton of people who cancelled Rivian and Mach E orders last week to buy a Tesla who were once "never Tesla" types and claim the value was just too good to pass up.

Also, Let's not pretend the Maverick has great amenities or suspension. It used the Ford Fiesta suspension instead of their normal truck suspension.

1. That was the point of what Ford released. People came to buy a Fusion and bought a Maverick.
2. It doesn't matter about subpar suspension. If there's value and range, it will sell to people who wouldn't normal like the CT design or even Tesla. That's not really debatable...the level of which that will occur is, but there were a ton of people who cancelled Rivian and Mach E orders last week to buy a Tesla who were once "never Tesla" types and claim the value was just too good to pass up.

Also, Let's not pretend the Maverick has great amenities or suspension. It used the Ford Fiesta suspension instead of their normal truck suspension.

No they did not lol…. The Fusion and Focus had already been discontinued and when the Maverick first came out there were 0 at the dealership, all had to be orders.

The Maverick has had great reviews including its suspension. You know the same suspension that came off the Fiesta ST that also received rave reviews? We are talking about Full size trucks anyways. The Cybertruck will have to be real good to even come close to an F-150 Lightning suspension. Tesla is known to have subpar suspension so they have their work cut out for them.

Again, someone looking for a Truck will likely buy a traditional truck, even an ICE especially when they start at $30k or less instead of the Monstrosity that is the Cybertruck. Not to mention a the lack of paint. People are Overrating this truck but will likely only sell to those who think they need a truck. The first time they can’t park that tank they will want to get rid of it lol

BTW, will it have sensors and a 360 degree camera? You know standard stuff on trucks?

No they did not lol…. The Fusion and Focus had already been discontinued and when the Maverick first came out there were 0 at the dealership, all had to be orders.

The Maverick has had great reviews including its suspension. You know the same suspension that came off the Fiesta ST that also received rave reviews? We are talking about Full size trucks anyways. The Cybertruck will have to be real good to even come close to an F-150 Lightning suspension. Tesla is known to have subpar suspension so they have their work cut out for them.

Again, someone looking for a Truck will likely buy a traditional truck, even an ICE especially when they start at $30k or less instead of the Monstrosity that is the Cybertruck. Not to mention a the lack of paint. People are Overrating this truck but will likely only sell to those who think they need a truck. The first time they can’t park that tank they will want to get rid of it lol

BTW, will it have sensors and a 360 degree camera? You know standard stuff on trucks?
Maybe you are in a hurry or just have issues reading, but the whole point what I said is that people came to the Ford dealership looking for a sedan (Fusion was cited) and they didn't have them, because they stopped selling them, and people were buying Mavericks. I never said any sedans were available new from Ford at the time.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the CT reservations are from people who don't currently own a truck. The initial price, more than the crazy design, was the biggest reason for the massive amount of pre-orders.

You obviously dislike and have issues with the CT, which is fine, but your statements aren't set in reality. If the price is aggressive enough, people will buy it.

We have no clue what the suspension will be like, but the massive adoption of Tesla shows that most of the other points you made were incorrect about the interior or looks...even paint, which is one of the more popular features on the CT.

Everyone has their own opinions and you are free to hate the CT, but the point I made which you disputed is that a low enough price with value (range, space, size, a bed) will create demand. No, not everyone will buy a CT...and your 360 degree camera point is also silly. Almost all cars have this as well and Tesla doesn't. Owning a truck and multiple cars with and without it, it's far more useful in a car when trying to park than a truck.

Maybe you are in a hurry or just have issues reading, but the whole point what I said is that people came to the Ford dealership looking for a sedan (Fusion was cited) and they didn't have them, because they stopped selling them, and people were buying Mavericks. I never said any sedans were available new from Ford at the time.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the CT reservations are from people who don't currently own a truck. The initial price, more than the crazy design, was the biggest reason for the massive amount of pre-orders.

You obviously dislike and have issues with the CT, which is fine, but your statements aren't set in reality. If the price is aggressive enough, people will buy it.

We have no clue what the suspension will be like, but the massive adoption of Tesla shows that most of the other points you made were incorrect about the interior or looks...even paint, which is one of the more popular features on the CT.

Everyone has their own opinions and you are free to hate the CT, but the point I made which you disputed is that a low enough price with value (range, space, size, a bed) will create demand. No, not everyone will buy a CT...and your 360 degree camera point is also silly. Almost all cars have this as well and Tesla doesn't. Owning a truck and multiple cars with and without it, it's far more useful in a car when trying to park than a truck.

So….. they came for a Ford dealership looking for a Sedan….. instead they bought a Maverick which wasn’t on the lot, no test drive, instead of going to another manufacturer which had sedans available….. cool story….

I have a CT reservation, there is no hate only the reality that the CT is no going to be sold to everyday people. Just those who have gone full EV or those trying to flip the Truck to make a buck. There videos on YT with people making more than one reservation, the reservation numbers put out by Tesla are almost a joke.

As far as the 360 camera, stop lying to yourself to try to prove your point smh…

• Disagree
The point is that many truck owners weren't originally in the market for a truck. Most truck owners in the US don't use it as a truck. Something like 75% of truck owners tow 1 time or less per year and 70% have never taken their truck off road.

How is it more necessary on a truck? Do you have any logic to that? I never worried about hitting a curb on my F150. That doesn't even make sense.

I reserved a CT before ever owning an EV. I know of others who are the same, but that's anecodtal. I bought a MY to wait, then a 2nd MY, then a MS. I would agree that most, not all, CT reservations are for people who are looking for EVs, but it's the same market segment as the Lightning, which can't tow at all.

A low price will drive up demand and poach buyers from Ford, Dodge, and Rivian...just like what happened recently when the new prices captured people looking elsewhere.

I find it easier to use the mirrors when backing up any Truck vs the backup camera. I can see the sides of the truck and I can see where the front corners of the truck are going in relation to turning while backing up. Backing up to a trailer the backup camera wins.

Of course but we aren’t talking about a backup camera, the 360 camera is a game changer for trucks and hooking up. But like everything else everyone has their preferences. I’m sure we are going to hear how half a steering wheel is the best thing to happen to a truck since EV