Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Artificially Suppressing Model Y Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to TheStreet which was quoting Tesla, "Around 76,200 of the delivery total was linked to Model 3 and Model Y cars, the company said...", and yet it doesn't break out how many deliveries were for the Model Y alone.

If lower than anticipated (note how Tesla is already reaching out to non-4WD/Perf Model Y order holders to final-configure) then is it possible prospective buyers are holding out another year or so just to first see the CT in person?

Of course there is the current medical/economic climate suppressing sales of everything, yet Tesla delivered their best first quarter ever so it would be interesting to see what proportion of those 76,200 deliveries are Model Y's...

But looking at the other side, there are recent reports of CT reservations topping 622,000 and I am included in that number. But I am also included in the unseen/unknown/undocumented number of those in a position to get a(nother) Tesla sooner (my own S lease expires early next year) but are truly undecided between the Y and the CT (as I am)...so for me anyway, the thread title above applies.

The reason for my own indecision is because both vehicles would fulfill all our needs, ie., carry five people, haul more stuff than a sedan, go camping, etc., and they are even actually quite close in price across all their trims. But the CT has the cool factor, at least for me. But then will it fit in my garage? Of course I know it will fit measurement-wise, but what about daily use-wise? It may become a chore to ever so carefully have to creep-park it in the garage every day. And as a truck, will it carry the same level of overall refinement as the Y? In ride? In driving/operation? In latch and switchgear feel? I'm sure there are far more things I have not thought of yet. Not until I can see/hear reviews or even better, actually sit in and meddle around with both cars.

So anyway just based upon my own set of considerations, the relatively soon-to-be existence of the CT has already Osborne-Effect'd me to wait on getting the Model Y early next year. To wait until the CT's begin rolling.

And thinking I am a (hopefully) reasonable guy, I figure there might be many more who are thinking like me out there. Let's break out them Model Y delivery numbers, Elon.

Not this Model Y buyer. Loving it and remain on the list ( and will follow through with delivery ) of the CT as well, as it now stands.

The only thing that will derail this is a significant revision to the truck and lack of options that are currently forecast.

Not this Model Y buyer. Loving it and remain on the list ( and will follow through with delivery ) of the CT as well, as it now stands.

The only thing that will derail this is a significant revision to the truck and lack of options that are currently forecast.

Aww man, now ya got me thinkin'...wifey's car Has been gettin' on. Just gotta convince her to give it up for a Y, and then the CT comes out a year after (I'm like no. 4000 from the start of list). Hmmm...

Aww man, now ya got me thinkin'...wifey's car Has been gettin' on. Just gotta convince her to give it up for a Y, and then the CT comes out a year after (I'm like no. 4000 from the start of list). Hmmm...

Exactly what I did. Replaced her Rogue and will replace the Tacoma...

IMG_20200403_080002.jpg

According to TheStreet which was quoting Tesla, "Around 76,200 of the delivery total was linked to Model 3 and Model Y cars, the company said...", and yet it doesn't break out how many deliveries were for the Model Y alone.

If lower than anticipated (note how Tesla is already reaching out to non-4WD/Perf Model Y order holders to final-configure) then is it possible prospective buyers are holding out another year or so just to first see the CT in person?

Of course there is the current medical/economic climate suppressing sales of everything, yet Tesla delivered their best first quarter ever so it would be interesting to see what proportion of those 76,200 deliveries are Model Y's...

But looking at the other side, there are recent reports of CT reservations topping 622,000 and I am included in that number. But I am also included in the unseen/unknown/undocumented number of those in a position to get a(nother) Tesla sooner (my own S lease expires early next year) but are truly undecided between the Y and the CT (as I am)...so for me anyway, the thread title above applies.

The reason for my own indecision is because both vehicles would fulfill all our needs, ie., carry five people, haul more stuff than a sedan, go camping, etc., and they are even actually quite close in price across all their trims. But the CT has the cool factor, at least for me. But then will it fit in my garage? Of course I know it will fit measurement-wise, but what about daily use-wise? It may become a chore to ever so carefully have to creep-park it in the garage every day. And as a truck, will it carry the same level of overall refinement as the Y? In ride? In driving/operation? In latch and switchgear feel? I'm sure there are far more things I have not thought of yet. Not until I can see/hear reviews or even better, actually sit in and meddle around with both cars.

So anyway just based upon my own set of considerations, the relatively soon-to-be existence of the CT has already Osborne-Effect'd me to wait on getting the Model Y early next year. To wait until the CT's begin rolling.

And thinking I am a (hopefully) reasonable guy, I figure there might be many more who are thinking like me out there. Let's break out them Model Y delivery numbers, Elon.

Is it possible that MY is slowed by CT? Sure, anything is possible, but I would argue not likely. The Y is primarily for families/soccer mom's, the CT is not; its size will make it difficult for a quick run to the store or dry cleaners, particularly in many communities which have tiny parking spaces.

Yes, Elon will eventually release the Y numbers, but remember, it was only delivered for ~2 weeks of the quarter before shut down. So the Q1 numbers have to be low by definition.

IMO, the COVID crisis will lead into a LOT of economic uncertainty in the next couple of years, and folks will think a lot longer before plunking down $50k for a new car & truck. The slow down will hurt all big ticket items.

I have a MY on order, and my "status page" is now asking for details. I have put the order on hold till the country gets back to "normal" and am now thinking that with all the poor workmanship showing up on cars they rushed out of Fremont before it was shut down... I might be waiting till Aug. or later to get my Model Y. I can imagine the huge push they will be running to get as many cars out as quickly as possible to make up for lost time once the factory opens up again. I would not want one of the early cars to come off the line once it back up and running again. I was also very disappointed the MY does not have a factory trailer hitch, not even the 1" style for small loads like a Jetski?
At any rate, this whole "pause" situation has me thinking... I was originally drawn to Tesla because of the Cybertruck, but when the MY was introduced I was interested, and it was available much sooner than expected. Well, now that I'll have to wait for the MY anyway, maybe I can just wait till next year for the CT and get what I originally wanted from the get-go.