Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck as a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My old 2013 Model S's extended warranty runs out in early 2021 (8 years of ownership), so I'm thinking ahead of what I'll drive as my daily driver then. Will I keep the S a little longer till it dies, but repairs will be costly when needed. This is the next new Tesla and looks freakin awesome, and it may be fun to drive a tank. It fills all the boxes of range and passengers as well. It will also fit in my carport, if I haul some crap out of there, but hey it's a truck, so that should help haul - eh? I'm a little worried about road noise on t hose knobby tires, so if the option for quiet tires exists, I'll take it. I don't plan on off-roading much. I think it'll work well as a daily driver, and should make the winter rain / snow commute feel safer. I might miss the S a bit though.... Maybe the wife'll take it?

Why is your S suddenly going to cost big dollars for repairs. The cost of buying a new Tesla will be a lot of money compared to S repairs.

Why is your S suddenly going to cost big dollars for repairs. The cost of buying a new Tesla will be a lot of money compared to S repairs.

I am hopefully exaggerating of course, but it seems that mobile service has been visiting me about every month for the last 6 months & it can sometimes be frustrating. Always another door handle, or the screen bubbles, or the TPMS, or the communications system, or the coolant system, corroded trunk motors, etc. Something that has failed is always getting replaced. My deductible now is only $300(Can) when they visit (& they can do multiple items per visit at that one deductible), but I always ask how much it will be if I didn't have the extended warranty, and it's always quite costly. $800 per door handle, $650 communications module, $1400 LCD & some other doodad, etc. I tell you, low maintenance is a myth after 6 years. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just get the extended warranty. But I'm digressing off topic here, and of course I want a new car at some point, so by the time Cybertruck comes my way (I'm ~ 200k down the list) it will be about 9 years with the Model S and about time to get a new car.

I currently drive a Fiat 500 as my daily commuter. Gets me where I need to go and I love it. I once packed it full of camping gear and my wife and I camped across the US for 4 weeks from the Grand Canyon to the coast of Maine. It was a tight ride, but it was a blast.

Now with a child, I need to consider more accessible seating. I still want something efficient, but room to move and haul furniture and garden supplies would be nice.

A Cybertruck satisfies everything in looking for. Larger room for a growing family, fuel (energy) efficiency for commuting, utility of a truck, the option to pack camping gear and going on an adventure. A truck used for truck things will inevitably get beat up and damaged, but made of stainless steel and I won't feel paranoid of dents and scratches.

My thought is I would need a fuel efficient commuter and a truck and a family toter. Or just one Cybertruck.

and you could drive the 500 right up ramp into the vault if you want!

Like many of you I've reserved a Cybertruck since it seems to tick a lot of check boxes on what I want in a vehicle. My daily driver is a Model X and the largest vehicle I've driven is probably and old Ford Aerostar Extended (190"L x 72"w x 74h) or an '84 Grand Marquis (212"L x 78.3"w x 56.3"h).

The proposed dimensions for the Cybertruck are 231.7"L x 79.8"w x 75"h. For those of you who have driven a truck about this size, how practical is it for daily driving? Do you have issues with turning radius and parking? Do lanes feel tight? Is there more road noise from truck tires? Is the ride in general comfortable for a daily driver?

My Model X chews through tires, almost needing new tires every year. With the tri-motor putting down a faster 0-60 and weight most likely increasing from the Model X, am I going to be continuing with my annual tire purchase or will truck tires last longer?

Last item, first: TIRES. IDK what the configuration will be for final ordering status, but we are allegedly looking at 35 X 12.5 X 18s. In tires you have to decide if you want quiet, eco-friendly, or just leave them stock. Current market gives us plenty of choices.

DIMENSIONS: Don't worry about how it feels, you'll adjust quickly. My F250 has about the same dimensions with NONE of the CT suspension or throttle. You'll be fine.

DAILY; Yes, it will be my daily as my employer has free charging stations at work. I'll test out the solar charge option, before I start plugging it in at work.

AGAIN, TIRES; Yes, you MAY need a tire sponsor!

So I have driven... at least 1.5MM miles in crew cab pick ups.

Admittedly, I no longer live in BFE, TX full-time...

With 360 degree cameras, they aren’t too bad, but they are often too wide/long to fit in older cities.

I’m not big on the whole “true believer” stuff when it comes to electric cars - I think old cars actually work out better once you factor in the lithium mining, etc.

Get highway tires. At least on American trucks, there are cheap wheel options, put the off road tires on them, if needed.

I daily drive my Chevy 2500 crew cab 4x4 in the winter. Similar size wand wheelbase to the Cybertruck.

Parking in my own garage takes a K-turn maneuver. Same thing needed in many other parking lots if there are not two open spaces next to each other. Its something you just learn after a while of driving a larger vehicle.

Parking at work, in a ramp, I am careful to make sure I am centered on the lines. I don't care about door dings as its an older truck, but of course getting in and out I need to be very careful not to ding other cars. Usually I leave a blank spot next to me when I park if I can kust so I can get out more easily.

Visibility in a regular truck is great, so backing out is not a problem. I suspect the Cybertruck will need to rely on cameras to be able to see to the rear.

Funny story: I used to work downtown Minneapolis and the parking ramp in the building had a very tight turn just past the card reader. In the summer I usually drive a smaller 2-seat sports care. But I had some stuff to pickup at HD on the way home, so I took the truck into work. I had to pay with my credit card because I forgot my parking pass in the other vehicle. Distracted by that, and out of habit from driving the sports car, I turned the truck 6' too early and wrapped the back wheel flair around a concrete pillar. The pillar was armored with diamond-plate that left some nice evenly-spaced scratches the length of the side of the bed.

I have also clipped the mirror of the truck backing out of my own garage and not paying close attention. There is about 4 inches of clearance to the mirrors on both sides with a 9' rough opening garage door.

Over half the cars in New Mexico are pickup trucks, so it would not be out of place for me driving around in a Cybertruck other than, well, it's a Cybertruck. :)

I would drive it as my daily driver. I've driven my S as a daily driver for 6 1/2 years and it's at 112Kmi and ready to be replaced with something different. I might to a Y later this year until Cyber arrives.

Can't tell you how many adventures I've decided not to take (rough roads, really bad dirt roads, bumpy roads, etc) all over the state in my dainty S. A Cybertruck was built for New Mexico I tell ya.

Reactions: Dr. J