Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck AWD - Will TRI motor be safer than DUAL motor in winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XYZ88

Mar 15, 2020
Norway
Hi there,

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between DUAL and TRI motor in snowy/icy winter conditions.

I've read other posts in this great forum that covered the RWD, but I'm interested in whether DUAL AWD would be any less secure in slippery conditions than TRI AWD, and then why?

The RWD is not an option, I think, due to safety in slippery conditions. Just my feeling.

I see the Cybertruck as a possible game-changer in expanding my service area and have this idea that in a few years I could be having it autonomously drive me (sleeping or not) to places I find too far away for "regular driving."

Please share your thoughts!

Reactions: Gphenix
Hi there,

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between DUAL and TRI motor in snowy/icy winter conditions.

I've read other posts in this great forum that covered the RWD, but I'm interested in whether DUAL AWD would be any less secure in slippery conditions than TRI AWD, and then why?

The RWD is not an option, I think, due to safety in slippery conditions. Just my feeling.

I see the Cybertruck as a possible game-changer in expanding my service area and have this idea that in a few years I could be having it autonomously drive me (sleeping or not) to places I find too far away for "regular driving."

Please share your thoughts!
Braking would be basically the same on both. Tri gets you better independent torque control of the rear wheels (motor vs brake vectoring).

So tri is more controllable and thus safer at some level, but not sure it's significant.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma and Drax
Braking would be basically the same on both. Tri gets you better independent torque control of the rear wheels (motor vs brake vectoring).

So tri is more controllable and thus safer at some level, but not sure it's significant.
I’ll add another point along this line. Tri probably will be worse in the winter, bigger battery will weight more and heavier is worse on winter roads, especially under braking.

...heavier is worse on winter roads, especially under braking.

If that were true then all semi traffic would be halted for winter. The biggest factor in winter traction is the type of tire. I also prefer a heavy car in winter over a lightweight car. I routinely drive Teton Pass (8400’) in winter and a heavy car, with awd and winter tires is unbeatable — even downhill. But I emphasize, winter tires make the biggest difference.

If that were true then all semi traffic would be halted for winter. The biggest factor in winter traction is the type of tire. I also prefer a heavy car in winter over a lightweight car. I routinely drive Teton Pass (8400’) in winter and a heavy car, with awd and winter tires is unbeatable — even downhill. But I emphasize, winter tires make the biggest difference.
Yes tires make the biggest difference. But on the same tires the lighter weight vehicle will do better.

Of our cars all are full time AWD: MB e320 4 matic on Hakka 9, Subaru Legacy on Hakka 5, LX570 on 32” Hakka 7, and model 3 LR AWD on Hakka 9. The MB will run circles around the others (Subaru is a close 2nd) on the worst roads I’ll take the MB every time, my LX is ~ 7k lbs, sliders, rack, lockers. LX is the worst, it’s under braking it’s slides... and the trucks slow way down in the winter. I rank them; MB > Subaru > Lexus > Tesla. Tesla is only last due to its wonky traction control, it stops way better then the LX as my LX weighs about as much as the Tesla and Subaru combines.

I’ll add most winters I drive almost entirely on snow/ice covered roads ~7 months a year. We’ve had snow/ice on the roads for over a week, got 6” at my house last night and highs will be ~20F the rest of the week, I may not see asphalt now until May.

I live in the Texas panhandle. We have “Black Ice”. It wouldn’t matter Tri vs dual. Safety is, the slower you go the better it is. The faster you go, it is like being in a skating rink without being able to turn. Would you rather hit the wall fast or slow.
By the way, I ordered the tri motor with FSD. My commute is approximately 40 miles each way. I drive in all types of weather, from high winds (50+), Baseball size hail and temps falling from the 80’s in the days to the 20’s at night. I figure this will be a good test for the Cyber Truck. My aim is to keep my precious wife safe as we grow younger in our tri motor Cyber Truck.

Last edited:

During winter driving I have to add more weight over the rear axle for traction. (Snow and Ice). I chose the Tri Motor for the winter and summer.It carries more weight for both safety and comfort. Ice is always unpredictabl. The heavier you are and maintaining a safe speed grants greater control with the larger tires.

During winter driving I have to add more weight over the rear axle for traction. (Snow and Ice). I chose the Tri Motor for the winter and summer.It carries more weight for both safety and comfort. Ice is always unpredictabl. The heavier you are and maintaining a safe speed grants greater control with the larger tires.
It will.be interesting to see if extra ballast is needed. The Cybertruck will start off much closer to a 50/50 weight distribution due to rear motor(s) and pack than an unloaded ICE pickup with most of the weight over the front axle. I know mine can't accelerate well in 2WD even in summer.

Lighter cars lower cars with narrower tires are better on snow and ice. Subaru, Audi cars , 4Matic MB cars are the best winter vehicles hands down and will drive circles around any truck in the winter. That’s why subaru is the #1 vehicle in many sates with real winters. Our old 2003 MB e320 4 matic is the best winter vehicle I’ve ever driven. Way better then my 200 land cruiser on 285/75-17 (34x11.5) in the summer that I downsize to 265/66-18 (31 x 10.5) in the winter.

More importantly when is Cybertruck coming out. Seems like Tesla hasn’t said a word recently, and no analyst has bothered to ask. Is it still coming in 2021?
The CYBRTRK assembly line workers are currently being trained at Fremont and they will be transferred to Austin GF ready to hit the ground running (saving months of training). I would anticipate we would see some CYBRTRKs coming off the line at the end of 2021 and into full production swing by early 2022.