Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck base $39k model to be cancelled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt any decision has been made, or will be for another year or two.

Once they have the top trim going out to customers, they’ll probably evaluate the market, profits, and what they perceive as demand and then decide.

I think they’ll probably keep a version near that price bracket for comparison, but we’ll see.

Reactions: gavine
We cant be sure, but its likely to happen if the demand is low enough. Last we were told many months ago some 13% of reservations were single motor. In my estimation, thats low enough to discontinue the base model.

Things to consider, the cybertruck is not yet pencils down (at least unconfirmed as so), everything unveiled to us in Nov 2019 were estimates and knowing Tesla, everything is subject to change.

Having a sub-$40k model seems a useful marketing point, squashing the “EVs are too expensive” argument. Few will buy, but so easy to build once the factory gets going. Don’t pass up an easy sale …
Ever variant adds expense to the manufacturing line initially and the support costs long term. It is the reason Ford Model Ts were all black originally. Tesla has embraced this by over time reducing the exterior and interior colors, eliminating upgrade packages, and in general deleting options.

I think it will be never happen. People want or expect 4WD in a pickup. And unless it has changed, this is reflected in the pre-orders.

This chart is dated but shows that fleet trucks are increasingly 4x4
4x4 Pickups Now Dominate Utility Fleets
m-utilimarc-utility-fleets-4x4-1.jpg

Ever variant adds expense to the manufacturing line initially and the support costs long term. It is the reason Ford Model Ts were all black originally.
Henry Ford was still trying to make a large scale assembly line function at all.

The only difference (oversimplified) between the Single and Tri models is latter includes 2 extra motors and 2 extra battery packs.

This is akin to Henry Ford offering an unpainted option. Just skip a step.

Henry Ford was still trying to make a large scale assembly line function at all.

The only difference (oversimplified) between the Single and Tri models is latter includes 2 extra motors and 2 extra battery packs.

This is akin to Henry Ford offering an unpainted option. Just skip a step.

You miss my point. IMHO the dual motor 4WD is the sweet spot for Telsa manufacturing and the Pickup market as pointed out by @themorey . The fact that there is ANY difference from this is something Tesla wants to avoid, or at least get paid a lot extra for taking on (ex. Tri-motor, Performance Editions of S,3,X,Y). You want there to be N steps/stations in a production line. No skipping steps for single motor version. And minimize the number versions of software and hardware configurations you have to test on the production line and support for a product lifespan.

I guess it depends on the people and the market. Most of the pickups I’ve had around my life have been RWD only over the years, and I’m pretty sure most work truck still are.

Most of the work trucks I see are AWD. I see contractors pulling up in F250 and 350, as well as Ram Cummins diesels. Truck buyers tend to buy 4WD "just in case". 99% will never use the AWD capabilities, but "you never know".

And then there is the whole question of who buys CyberTrucks. I bet initially most of these vehicles are not going to be out on job sites hauling lumber and pipes. They will be in office parks and driven by people that use them most for hauling stuff back from Home Depot or a boat to the lake. Just like most of the F-150 AWDs I see around me today with expensive leather interiors, 5 person seating, and off-road decal packages.

If orders for the AWD and tri-motor are strong enough, they may not bother building RWD CTs.

It's too early to tell seeing as a decision can wait a while. Would be good to revisit this 3-6 months after deliveries start.

My wild guess: They will eventually make them but it could be up to 2-3 years after production begins.

Reactions: jboy210
If orders for the AWD and tri-motor are strong enough, they may not bother building RWD CTs.

It's too early to tell seeing as a decision can wait a while. Would be good to revisit this 3-6 months after deliveries start.

My wild guess: They will eventually make them but it could be up to 2-3 years after production begins.

And do it as an special order you have to call in to order and they purposely limit for like the M 3 SR-.

Reactions: Mo City