Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck bulletproof? To what caliber?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I recall 9MM at the unveiling but any more details? I'm assuming FMJ but confirmation would be nice.

How does it hold up to

Handgun Calibers
.40S&W
.45ACP?

Rifle calibers like
30-06
50 BMG?

12 Gauge Slugs?

This is just a fun discussion as "bullet proofness" isn't really what Tesla's are all about.

I mean.. a Model 3 pretty much gets totaled versus a high speed shopping cart.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
Have you ever shot high power rifles at steel? It’s hard to say exactly what would happen in real life because too many variables. He mentioned 9mm but what range? Bullet type? Power factor? Angle of contact? It all matters greatly. So, if someone trying to shoot you, it’s unlikely that it could really be relied on, however if someone is trying to shoot someone else and accidentally hits you then there’s a good chance it could protect you. There’s an even better chance it will protect you from the shopping cart or bicycle tip over in the garage however. But I’ll still tell people it’s bulletproof regardless, until Elon says it’s not lol.

but just for fun sake I’d say there’s a good chance it could stop a slug, and 45/40, maybe a 5.56 at longer ranges, but 308 and up probably not unless glancing or long range and 50 I think that wasn’t very necessary to question lol.

I recall 9MM at the unveiling but any more details? I'm assuming FMJ but confirmation would be nice.

How does it hold up to

Handgun Calibers
.40S&W
.45ACP?

Rifle calibers like
30-06
50 BMG?

12 Gauge Slugs?

This is just a fun discussion as "bullet proofness" isn't really what Tesla's are all about.

He did specify FMJ. And since he didn't say +P, then it wasn't.

What's supposed to be bulletproof? Just the glass or also the body?
Just the body, made of stainless steel. The windows are (oops) shatterproof, not bulletproof.

What was the thickness of that 30x steel....like 3mm or .118in? Just to give some perspective....below are some charts for AR500 steel typically used for targets. AR500 is harder than the stainless flavors...thus perform much better in the target role.

upload_2019-12-8_9-3-55.png

upload_2019-12-8_9-4-8.png

Have you ever shot high power rifles at steel? It’s hard to say exactly what would happen in real life because too many variables. He mentioned 9mm but what range? Bullet type? Power factor? Angle of contact? It all matters greatly. So, if someone trying to shoot you, it’s unlikely that it could really be relied on, however if someone is trying to shoot someone else and accidentally hits you then there’s a good chance it could protect you. There’s an even better chance it will protect you from the shopping cart or bicycle tip over in the garage however. But I’ll still tell people it’s bulletproof regardless, until Elon says it’s not lol.

but just for fun sake I’d say there’s a good chance it could stop a slug, and 45/40, maybe a 5.56 at longer ranges, but 308 and up probably not unless glancing or long range and 50 I think that wasn’t very necessary to question lol.
In fact I have many times, like you said it depends are many factors (speed of vehicle, angle of entry, type of weapons used) - this vehicle would be good for shotgun, 9mm, then after that I wouldn't take any chances. Speed is your friend - move out of the kill zone as quickly as possible.

This vehicle doesn't certify for any of the levels required by USG for ballistic protection.

It will not survive this test: which looks like an 7.62 X 39 (similar to .308 caliber or NATO 7.62 X 35) with usually a 123 grain bullet and ~2330 feet/sec muzzle velocity and ~1500 Foot pounds of Energy. By comparison the 9mm is 115 grain bullet with ~1200 feet/sec muzzle velocity and ~340 Foot pounds of muzzle energy (ME). ME gets weaker at greater distances in both cases so that is an important factor. At 500 yards the 7.62 X 39 round only has 350 ME - just like the 9mm at 10 yards.... so there are a ton of variables that true armored manufacturers deal with.

Last edited:
  • Love

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-8_9-31-30.png
    upload_2019-12-8_9-31-30.png
    19 KB · Views: 49

How does it hold up to

Handgun Calibers
.40S&W
.45ACP?

Rifle calibers like
30-06
50 BMG?

12 Gauge Slugs?

Here is a reference that I sited from- every ammo manufacturers uses different loads and materials. There are 9mm rounds available that will penetrate this vehicle. Ballistics101 is an awesome reference site. Note there is a massive range of rounds in 9mm and depending on the use case you buy what you need for your intended use.

What would a 50 grain 444ME 2000MV be good for? Would it penetrate the SS of the CT?

Magsafe Ammunition Ballistics
Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy ft·lb Muzzle Velocity ft/sec.
9mm +P Max 64 540 1950
9mm MGL 50 444 2000
9mm defender 52 303 1620

RBCD Ammunition Ballistics
Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy ft·lb Muzzle Velocity ft/sec.
9mm TFSP 60 539 2010

Also here is the rest of that thread, I happen to be on that forum...

I fired a few 124gr non +P 9mm FMJs at a 2mm thick medium carbon steel plate at 24 yards and the rounds zipped through like a hot knife through butter. Since I can't get hold of thicker steel, has anyone here got any real world evidence of the metal penetrative capacity of the above rounds?

M882 (0.355", 124gr, 1299fps)- maximum mild steel penetration: 4.99mm

IMI Carbine Ball +P (0.355" 115gr, 1375fps)- maximum mild steel penetration: 5.15mm

Last edited:
Last edited:
Don't forget the angle of glass. A typical windshield can defeat (by deflection) a 9mm FMJ round. This is part of the reason why we transitioned to a .40 and many still use .45ACP.

Caliber + bullet weight + grains all play a role after figuring out what you're shooting at.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
This is one of the most ridiculous threads ever. I mean ...there is simply no ballistic test data for 9mm or even .50 calibers on Mars to enable any sort of useful data. On Mars, we're much more likely to have energy based weaponry, not ballistic. I assume that if they ever did have ballistic weapons on Mars they'd be limited to the habitat structures and not used out on the plains where you're going to want to be off roading. Frankly I'm hoping to sort of keep Mars gun free and just use my CT to run over my enemies..heretical non coffee drinkers.

This is one of the most ridiculous threads ever. I mean ...there is simply no ballistic test data for 9mm or even .50 calibers on Mars to enable any sort of useful data. On Mars, we're much more likely to have energy based weaponry, not ballistic. I assume that if they ever did have ballistic weapons on Mars they'd be limited to the habitat structures and not used out on the plains where you're going to want to be off roading. Frankly I'm hoping to sort of keep Mars gun free and just use my CT to run over my enemies..heretical non coffee drinkers.

On Mars we'll crack the window with a steel ball and watch you get sucked out like Oyster.

getting sucked out in space

My bet is the first thing on a manned Mars outpost would be a weapons system. Everyone already knows the first weapon on Mars will be a Nuke - didn't you see Elon's interview?

Last edited:
What was the thickness of that 30x steel....like 3mm or .118in? Just to give some perspective....below are some charts for AR500 steel typically used for targets. AR500 is harder than the stainless flavors...thus perform much better in the target role.

View attachment 486101

View attachment 486102
This says it all. Also remember since this is talking targets they are “hanging” so the full energy of the projectile isn’t dispersed into the steel as in a fixed in place body panels.

should have done this, now that would be impressive.
Armored Landcruiser Blast Test