Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck - capacitive switches on yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent episode of Munro Live, they talked about the controls on the yoke and said that they were capacitive switches. In general, capacitive controls require a touch (finger or stylus), does anyone know if this will be an issue operating the controls with gloves on?

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Finally got inside a new Model S, and the door button was a capacitive switch/button crap. MUCH MUCH preferred the real button on the Model Y right next to it. Or even the door handle in my Model X.

If you thought the unlabeled hieroglyphics of the Model 3 door was hard for your friends who ride in your car (because cars carry humans), just wait for them to fumble with this over-engineered stupidity.
$0.35 button that works perfectly in all weather, with gloves, without, with zero instructions? forget that crap. we need a $5 button that doesn't work when cold, with gloves, and when you touch it, you can't really be sure it works at all.

The more of the car I saw, the more it was clearly built by 12 year olds who don't know the purpose of a car.

And the idea of a yoke makes zero sense in a truck where your driving conditions require a wheel.
backing into a trailer or down a boat ramp or making tight turns to park ... will be serious fun with a yoke but without drive-by-wire and adjusted steering ratios... the yoke is a cut-off steering wheel. nothing more, nothing less. touch buttons never work well with gloves... but i doubt the work glove audience is a even a target group for the CT...

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
The more of the car I saw, the more it was clearly built by 12 year olds who don't know the purpose of a car.
I have to say this is the best statement to explains teslas design team I’ve seen on here in >8 years. Every Tesla has some level of garbage design, I’ve always said designed as a 3rd, 4th, 5th,… car for a banana belt urban hipster trust fund kid. Elon guides the design catered to him, with tunnel vision. That said, my 2014 model S was amazing for its time but the day I sold it for a model 3 was my happiest day of ownership, and even with its quirks at almost 4 years still love the 3.

The CT needs to have: a traditional steering wheel, some real buttons, non motorized large door handles, at most 18” rims, an option for traditional springs with no air suspension, nice large side view mirrors (you know for towing), fit a traditional aftermarket roof rack (Yakama, Thule, rhino,…)

• Love
The CT needs to have: a traditional steering wheel, some real buttons, non motorized large door handles, at most 18” rims, an option for traditional springs with no air suspension, nice large side view mirrors (you know for towing), fit a traditional aftermarket roof rack (Yakama, Thule, rhino,…)
They make that exact product. It's called an F-150 Lightning.

The CT will not have the things you list. You are a traditional truck buyer and want to do traditional truck things. The CT is a Cowboy Cadillac. It can do some truck things but it is mostly for windshield cowboys. Think Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridgeline. I am not hating on the Avalanche and Ridgeline. They do what they set out to do very well.

Honestly Tesla's approach is the correct one as there are WAY more windshield cowboys than actual ones. Very few trucks around here are used as serious work trucks. Most are used to haul families, tow boats or travel trailers, and the odd Home Depot run. CT will work great for that.

They make that exact product. It's called an F-150 Lightning.

The CT will not have the things you list. You are a traditional truck buyer and want to do traditional truck things. The CT is a Cowboy Cadillac. It can do some truck things but it is mostly for windshield cowboys. Think Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridgeline. I am not hating on the Avalanche and Ridgeline. They do what they set out to do very well.

Honestly Tesla's approach is the correct one as there are WAY more windshield cowboys than actual ones. Very few trucks around here are used as serious work trucks. Most are used to haul families, tow boats or travel trailers, and the odd Home Depot run. CT will work great for that.
The EV F150 doesn’t have enough range or a competent 4wd system. Now if they make a raptor EV… I would consider a hummer EV id they have a >400 mile version. If they wanted to compete with ridgeline/avalanche/ranger/…. Why not make it a mid size (10-12” shorter) that everyone on this forum is asking for?

Only pick up truck I’ve ever owned was a 1992 F250 diesel I used as a plow truck. My other “trucks” were a j60 LC, Lexus LX450, MB G500, and current rig is a LX570 (below). I use them hard in the outdoors of Alaska for camping, subsistence fishing/hunting, biking, hiking,…. I’ve gotten to the point mostly drive it in the summer, only when off-roading and camping. The 3 is primary the rest of the time. With as trendy as “overlanding” is with the hipster crowd my recommendations make sense from a perspective of sales and marketing.

All the suggestions I made increase the performance, efficiency, and functionality.

No doubt in my mind that the CT will be 5 years ahead of the others in terms of range, battery, drivetrain. I reserved a big battery one day 1 of the release. My hope is that is isn’t too much “Elon quirky”…

Also, Elon could make practical rims (as in 17” or 18”), steering wheels, some buttons, practical roof racks, …. Cool again. If Tesla makes it people will buy.

Attachments

• E78C469E-70FE-4A5A-BC72-53F1AFB1A9B5.jpeg
    E78C469E-70FE-4A5A-BC72-53F1AFB1A9B5.jpeg
    894.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 0B2A7022-9781-434C-894F-24ADCA2668F9.jpeg
    0B2A7022-9781-434C-894F-24ADCA2668F9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 8EFCC0BF-B9E0-4592-B29D-4DA752C2A45C.jpeg
    8EFCC0BF-B9E0-4592-B29D-4DA752C2A45C.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 5E4D89B3-B27B-48A3-91AC-032888C27BFF.jpeg
    5E4D89B3-B27B-48A3-91AC-032888C27BFF.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 5D87922F-E319-4E3E-9E79-DEBABE4A20C4.jpeg
    5D87922F-E319-4E3E-9E79-DEBABE4A20C4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • E5C1C010-9948-499D-8219-9D0A6A435E70.jpeg
    E5C1C010-9948-499D-8219-9D0A6A435E70.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 44
The EV F150 doesn’t have enough range or a competent 4wd system. Now if they make a raptor EV… I would consider a hummer EV id they have a >400 mile version. If they wanted to compete with ridgeline/avalanche/ranger/…. Why not make it a mid size (10-12” shorter) that everyone on this forum is asking for?

Only pick up truck I’ve ever owned was a 1992 F250 diesel I used as a plow truck. My other “trucks” were a j60 LC, Lexus LX450, MB G500, and current rig is a LX570 (below). I use them hard in the outdoors of Alaska for camping, subsistence fishing/hunting, biking, hiking,…. I’ve gotten to the point mostly drive it in the summer, only when off-roading and camping. The 3 is primary the rest of the time. With as trendy as “overlanding” is with the hipster crowd my recommendations make sense from a perspective of sales and marketing.

All the suggestions I made increase the performance, efficiency, and functionality.

No doubt in my mind that the CT will be 5 years ahead of the others in terms of range, battery, drivetrain. I reserved a big battery one day 1 of the release. My hope is that is isn’t too much “Elon quirky”…

Also, Elon could make practical rims (as in 17” or 18”), steering wheels, some buttons, practical roof racks, …. Cool again. If Tesla makes it people will buy.
You think Tesla will make a better 4WD system than Ford? That might be the funniest thing I have heard in weeks. The F150 has locking diffs and a tried and true 4WD system. Teslas all have open diffs and use the brakes to counteract wheelspin. Yes, the quad-motor version should solve this but Tesla has ZERO experience with off-roading anything.

The CT will work just fine for hipster overlanding. The aftermarket will create extremely expensive tents and racks that will fit in the CT. Further, hipsters will not be camping in ice and snow.

I can tell you right now, after being a Tesla customers for 12 years, Elon will do exactly zero of your recommendations. Practical is not in Elon's vocabulary. Also, practical is not Cool.

• Love
You think Tesla will make a better 4WD system than Ford? That might be the funniest thing I have heard in weeks. The F150 has locking diffs and a tried and true 4WD system. Teslas all have open diffs and use the brakes to counteract wheelspin. Yes, the quad-motor version should solve this but Tesla has ZERO experience with off-roading anything.

The CT will work just fine for hipster overlanding. The aftermarket will create extremely expensive tents and racks that will fit in the CT. Further, hipsters will not be camping in ice and snow.

I can tell you right now, after being a Tesla customers for 12 years, Elon will do exactly zero of your recommendations. Practical is not in Elon's vocabulary. Also, practical is not Cool.
Ford is not known for great 4wd/AWD systems. And EVs do not use the same drivetrain as ICEs. The F150 lightning has 2 motors, one front and one rear both attached to an open diff... The CT will have 3 or likely 4 motors. 4 motors and no diffs will be better then 2 motors with open diffs. Most ICE F150s have open or LS diffs. None have a locking front or center (except for in low range), rear locker is an option.

I off road regularly with a guy that has a Raptor. Other then high speed open dirt/sand it isn’t all that good, he gets stuck often.

As for Tesla, my AWD (duel motor) model 3 in a straight line
on ice/snow traction is amazing. Better then any of our other cars (MB e 4matic (torsions diffs), LX570 (torsen and lockers), Subaru Legacy). Ice drag raced it 2 winters ago (ice as in frozen lake), beat everything. Cornering, the stability on the Tesla control could use major work it doesn’t spin it slide but does sort of lag.