Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck - Charging while Towing long trailers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Greetings Large truck peeps. I haven't been on 35" tires since my last 2 Rubicons!

Planning to haul a 9,000 lb trailer approx 35' long with the cyber truck. (and skip Enterprise truck rentals).

I am hopeful my route means I don't have to charge for my most basic hauling needs... however... thinking how do you charge with that?! Even if I could pull in nose first and get the charger connected, I'd be sticking past the parking space about 30' or so. Not really ideal, and might make backing up and getting out rather difficult. As maneuvering a gas truck with this trailer to get fuel is fun enough, and any rest/lunch stops must be planned out against large parking lots.

So... like.. unhook, leave the trailer somewhere close, charge, hook back up? seems like hassle... any other ideas?

Greetings Large truck peeps. I haven't been on 35" tires since my last 2 Rubicons!

Planning to haul a 9,000 lb trailer approx 35' long with the cyber truck. (and skip Enterprise truck rentals).

I am hopeful my route means I don't have to charge for my most basic hauling needs... however... thinking how do you charge with that?! Even if I could pull in nose first and get the charger connected, I'd be sticking past the parking space about 30' or so. Not really ideal, and might make backing up and getting out rather difficult. As maneuvering a gas truck with this trailer to get fuel is fun enough, and any rest/lunch stops must be planned out against large parking lots.

So... like.. unhook, leave the trailer somewhere close, charge, hook back up? seems like hassle... any other ideas?
Unhooking and recharging is really your only option unless you happen upon one of the few pull-through chargers. Even then you would likely be blocking something.

Unhooking and recharging is really your only option unless you happen upon one of the few pull-through chargers.
Agreed. As much as I'd like to see Tesla build lots more Superchargers with at least some pull-through stalls, I don't really see that happening. The vast majority of Teslas over the next few years will be M3s and MYs and very few of those will ever see the business end of a trailer. This is one of the things giving me the most pause about getting a CT for frequent trailering.

unless tesla creates dedicated charging spots for towing (think rest areas) it's going to be a pain. i towed a featherlight last weekend and skipped one of the "pull through" spots in petaluma because i didn't want to unhook. even with pull through, you're at the whim of other people charging. not to mention, the angles to get the trailer out were tight because there were cars parked in front of the charging spots

2ab4fd1271d6feb03aabf51e21095a07.jpg

336479c5d051432ff511a5611d73f435.jpg

I'd think depending on the area and how much traffic they are seeing they could start to put in charging stations for a trailer pull through. Living in the Philadelphia region, there are plenty of people who trailer boats/jet ski's to the shore a lot and would need this type of functionality. I'm sure it's similar to areas that have lots of lakes that see similar activity during the summer months.

I have yet to encounter either. The Superchargers I've seen with pull-in stalls aren't going to accommodate a trailer because you're still going to block neighboring stalls. How does it work in Petaluma?

old sat map, but you can see how the parking spots are divided

even when I drove through there was tons of mall traffic. if, any spots are available, you're going to be fighting cross traffic. also, there were cars parked which I have indicated in red. pulling out is going to be a pain too.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.54.28 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: LNL_HUTZ
Just thought about this topic tonight. Not planning to tow much, if any, but I don’t see drive through superchargers being an option. I don’t remember them being wide enough to get a wide trailer, like a car hauler, through.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. Tesla seems to think more about the long-drive experience, so I wouldn’t be surprised if trailer-friendly superchargers along popular interstate routes pop up.

Just thought about this topic tonight. Not planning to tow much, if any, but I don’t see drive through superchargers being an option. I don’t remember them being wide enough to get a wide trailer, like a car hauler, through.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. Tesla seems to think more about the long-drive experience, so I wouldn’t be surprised if trailer-friendly superchargers along popular interstate routes pop up.
I have seen one or two drive-thru chargers, but they are rare. Drive-in chargers are more common (nose in, charger positioned properly at rear), although sometimes the trailer would block traffic. A few of the newer SC have a wider stall or two, presumably for pickups.

On my recent 4000 mile East Coast trip with a 21 ft trailer only had to unhitch three times. With practice it goes quick. My wife and I make a great team.

I assume California would be nearly 100% unhitching.
My Y is on order including a Tesla trailer hitch. Within a month of delivery I will be traveling 2200 miles pulling a trailer so you sound like the person to ask. Unhitching only 3 times over 4K miles is amazing. Would you mind explaining to me the reason you could keep the 21ft trailer hitched so often? For example, are there actually that many pull-through superchargers? Did you primarily use Tesla superchargers or another manufacturer. Whatever your answer, I hope I am that lucky.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

I imagine that by the time there are significant numbers of people needing pull through spots they will be developed.

Many of the current Supercharging stalls could easily be converted to pull throughs by just removing the raised concrete island between the pumps.

Most of the new SC installations I've seen are NOT trailer compatible. For example 8 additional V3 SCs were just added at Holbrook, AZ, so now a total of 12, along I-40. Not one of these 12 stalls is trailer friendly. Really poor planning. Someone needs to send a memo to the SC department that Tesla actually sells cars with trailer hitches and the Cybertruck is coming very soon. Tesla is creating unnecessary problems for those who want to tow and for us all because I guarantee, trailers will routinely end up blocking SC stalls because people don't want unhitch. If anyone has a friend in the SC planning department please send this feedback.