Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the water drains around the connector and there is a drain at the bottom of the connector so no water pools.

This is part of the reason why the Tesla guys were so surprised at Porsche going 800 volts, easier to arc in inclement conditions when there is that much potential. Not that 400 volts is safe, don't put your tongue on it. But that connector is designed to be beyond the capability of electricity to arc.

Reactions: simplego and alexgr
I think it depends on how much you're planning on driving in a typical day or week, or how much you're willing to spend on the project. If it's a "no holds barred" situation, I'd go 60 Amp circuit to a Wall Connector and call it a day.

If you want to save a few bucks you could get away with a NEMA 14-50, slightly smaller cable, and a 50 Amp breaker.

But I expect the Truck will consume notably more kWh/mile and the extra charging capability might come in handy more often than you might initially expect.

Yeah, 100A to the garage.
However, if you can do 200A and separate meter to the garage, that's even better.
Not specifically for the Cybertruck, but for future proofing BEVs in general.
It might be advisable to have a separate meter for charging EV(s) and may be hot water for shower, using off peak rate
and a second meter for daily house utilities with a regular meter rates for cooking, heating, Air Conditioning to avoid peak rate.

Also do you plan to have solar panels and PowerWall ?

Even if you don't plan (yet) having such installation, you can get some good information from the following video.
For example adding an isolation switch from the grid might not be a big cost when building a new house,
but could be an expensive requirement if you plan to go solar later on.

Definitely 100 Amp service. There’s rarely been a case where I end up saying, “Wish I had purchased the smaller capacity version...” Capability ends up providing value.

In your case, CT could end up with 72 or even 96 Amp charging capability. Picture a contractor pulling a trailer to a fairly distant job site, then using the battery for site power. Then head back home in time for a child’s sports event.

Overnight charging from nearly empty to nearly full is part of the value proposition. Making time for a Supercharger detour and charge is not.

I had the electrician run 2 gauge copper from a 100 Amp breaker to a subpanel in the mudroom near the driveway where my wife likes to park. The HPWC is on a 100 Amp breaker there. When I decluttered the garage last year, the electrician returned to run a 2 gauge connection to a second HPWC there.

We have two Tesla’s between our house and nearby daughter. Distant daughter has one, too. 100 Amp circuit makes it easy for two cars to get full charge overnight. HPWCs manage power allocation to keep total draw below 80 Amps.

My friend with S85D with dual 40-Amp chargers is happy to stop by on a road trip. His car gains range quickly at 80 Amps so he reduces net lost time during the visit.

Our S100D can charge at 72 Amps. A few weekends ago we were completing a nearly 400 mile round trip for our first vaccinations when our plans changed. A big storm was predicted for the next day, so we decided to drive to our daughter’s place after dinner instead of the next morning.

The trip takes about 50% charge one way. We came home with 25% or so. Did not want to stop at another Supercharger. Plugged in, dialed charge rate to 72 Amps. About two hours later we had packed, prepared and eaten dinner and the battery was at nearly 60%.

Unplugged and had an easy drive. I had given our daughter and her husband a Tesla Wall Connector as a car-warming gift when they got their Y LR in December, so we knew we could recharge after arriving.

Many other instances when money spent on a high capacity charging setup bought time.

If you can afford the incremental cost to install a robust, future-ready setup during construction, it will be money well spent. The biggest risk will be developing a sore arm a few years down the road. You’ll be regularly patting yourself on the back, pleased with your foresight.

Not trying to be petty but I'd bet that you can more than make up the time by stopping at your nearby WaWa or Sheetz when they have 250 kW Superchargers instead of 80 A X 240 V = 20 kW. Sorry you're in Phila. My son lives there and SC are about nonexistent in the city. We've driven there twice. Charging a non-issue until we get there.
Vaccines are all over the place. We got ours about 5 miles away (next to the Supercharger in Arlington). My sister and her husband live in Albuquerque and got theirs in Amarillo! Crazy. Here's me charging at a new Supercharger in Waco at a little over Mach1:
IMG_20210222_173359.jpg

Reactions: nwdiver
Definitely 100 Amp service. There’s rarely been a case where I end up saying, “Wish I had purchased the smaller capacity version...” Capability ends up providing value.

In your case, CT could end up with 72 or even 96 Amp charging capability. Picture a contractor pulling a trailer to a fairly distant job site, then using the battery for site power. Then head back home in time for a child’s sports event.

Overnight charging from nearly empty to nearly full is part of the value proposition. Making time for a Supercharger detour and charge is not.

I had the electrician run 2 gauge copper from a 100 Amp breaker to a subpanel in the mudroom near the driveway where my wife likes to park. The HPWC is on a 100 Amp breaker there. When I decluttered the garage last year, the electrician returned to run a 2 gauge connection to a second HPWC there.

We have two Tesla’s between our house and nearby daughter. Distant daughter has one, too. 100 Amp circuit makes it easy for two cars to get full charge overnight. HPWCs manage power allocation to keep total draw below 80 Amps.

My friend with S85D with dual 40-Amp chargers is happy to stop by on a road trip. His car gains range quickly at 80 Amps so he reduces net lost time during the visit.

Our S100D can charge at 72 Amps. A few weekends ago we were completing a nearly 400 mile round trip for our first vaccinations when our plans changed. A big storm was predicted for the next day, so we decided to drive to our daughter’s place after dinner instead of the next morning.

The trip takes about 50% charge one way. We came home with 25% or so. Did not want to stop at another Supercharger. Plugged in, dialed charge rate to 72 Amps. About two hours later we had packed, prepared and eaten dinner and the battery was at nearly 60%.

Unplugged and had an easy drive. I had given our daughter and her husband a Tesla Wall Connector as a car-warming gift when they got their Y LR in December, so we knew we could recharge after arriving.

Many other instances when money spent on a high capacity charging setup bought time.

If you can afford the incremental cost to install a robust, future-ready setup during construction, it will be money well spent. The biggest risk will be developing a sore arm a few years down the road. You’ll be regularly patting yourself on the back, pleased with your foresight.

What would you think of a 'residential' L3 option instead? Instead of including a 80A onboard charger few CT owners will use and it's only useful for that Truck... maybe a 20kW L3 charger you can buy and install at home for ~$3k.

Based on the trend of batteries getting bigger but onboard chargers getting smaller my money is on a 48A charger in the CT too but I think a small L3 you can stack would be nice. Get 1 for 20kW... stack 2 for 40kW. Beyond that and you're really pushing residential service limits. Tesla should be able to offer a 20kW L3 charger for ~$3k.

Reactions: brkaus
There are two components to cost. Capacity - limited by generator, transformer and conductor size and energy - based on fuel and O&M costs. Think about how many kWh are already made. A lot. Making more won't drive down costs much. It may make costs increase due to capacity costs. Right now we don't have much in the way of battery storage so you have to build generation to match the load. Charging slower, does more to level the load and avoid capacity costs.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I disagree with the large charger idea. That's what we have Superchargers for. If utilities have to build larger infrastructure in terms of transformers, services etc, it will drive up the price of electricity.

It won't necessarily drive up the cost of electricity. Lets take the scenario of an almost empty CT. If you had invested in a L3 charger for your home you could completely charge it up between midnight and 5am when grid demand is the lowest. So if you needed a full charge the next day instead of picking up a quick boost from the local SC for $0.20/kWh you can get a full charge using off-peak energy at ~$0.03/kWh.

I doubt this will make any sense in 99% of use cases... most people will be fine charging at 48A and picking up the occasional SC boost... but I think it makes more sense than a 72A onboard charger.

While you save $ on the off peak rate, charging 200 kWh in 5 hours is 40 kW. That's 166A continuous which by NEC definition is a 200 A circuit. For comparison, a 3 ton air conditioner has a demand of about 3 kW. The transformer in my back yard is a 25 kVA and serves several houses. So the transformer would need to be replaced as well as my service and panel. It would take a long time to pay for that.

Remember that off peak rates are not determined by the distribution system so much but by market generation costs. The power still has to be transported to your car.

While you save $ on the off peak rate, charging 200 kWh in 5 hours is 40 kW. That's 166A continuous which by NEC definition is a 200 A circuit. For comparison, a 3 ton air conditioner has a demand of about 3 kW. The transformer in my back yard is a 25 kVA and serves several houses. So the transformer would need to be replaced as well as my service and panel. It would take a long time to pay for that.

Remember that off peak rates are not determined by the distribution system so much but by market generation costs. The power still has to be transported to your car.

Sure... so dial it back to 30kW..... or 20kW. What I'm describing is precisely what you would need to...

use a powerwall to store off peak energy and dump it quickly into your car

I also think it would be nice to have an option between L2 and an urban charger available to anyone to buy and install. I'm installing L2 as part of my GFM project. 3rd party L3 options are absurdly overpriced. If I could buy even a 20kW L3 for ~$3k from Tesla I would. I'm setting up 400A service so I could easily support up to ~60kW.

I had some friends that needed to charge at my house a couple weeks ago because they got caught in a head wind. I have dual chargers and a 80A HPWC but that didn't help them any. If I had a 20kW L3 they would have only needed to hang out for ~3 hours instead of 5.

Last edited:
If you dial your 40 kW to 20, and your charge time goes from 5 hours to 10 hours what's the point?
I'd much rather charge at 250 kW at a Supercharger.

20 kW for 3 hours? That's 60 kWh. Some headwind.

The reason you can't buy a 20kW charge for cheap is that much electronics is expensive. Any anyway you don't need it. You'll need it less when you get your 500 mile range Cybertruck. You'll be able to get to a Supercharger from about anywhere.
For my Model 3 I have a Gen1 UMC and could charge up to 40A on my 50A circuit but I have it turned down to 20A because it's kinder to the grid and I just don't need to charge that car any faster except while traveling and then I use Superchargers.