Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you dial your 40 kW to 20, and your charge time goes from 5 hours to 10 hours what's the point?
I'd much rather charge at 250 kW at a Supercharger.

20 kW for 3 hours? That's 60 kWh. Some headwind.

The reason you can't buy a 20kW charge for cheap is that much electronics is expensive. Any anyway you don't need it. You'll need it less when you get your 500 mile range Cybertruck. You'll be able to get to a Supercharger from about anywhere.
For my Model 3 I have a Gen1 UMC and could charge up to 40A on my 50A circuit but I have it turned down to 20A because it's kinder to the grid and I just don't need to charge that car any faster except while traveling and then I use Superchargers.

The point would be charging at home for cheap (for me it's ~$0.03/kWh) instead of a supercharger. ~20kW would be ~2x L2 if 48A is the new standard. Also for areas without a nearby supercharger 20kW would again be much better than L2. The chargers I'm installing are in Artesia... the closest supercharger is >100 miles away. A 20kW L3 shouldn't cost >$10k. Even an urban charger is probably close to $100k. Even once there are superchargers in the area... 20kW L3 is cheap enough that a host can offer it free as a perk instead of paying $0.20/kWh at a supercharger. So instead of paying $12 to charge at a SC... pay $12 for a Combo Meal at McDs :)

Yeah... they thought they could make it but had to turn around. By the time they got here the battery was at ~20% and they needed a full charge to make it. Maybe ~2 hours would have been enough at 20kW.

Off-board is the ~same cost as onboard. My point is that instead of offering 20kW (80A) as an onboard option offer it as an off board (L3) option. Why not? If someone thinks they might need to charge a bit faster than 48A would not an off-board option be the better way? I would prefer a 20kW L3 option over a 20kW L2 option. I can install a 20kW L3 that all Teslas can use.

Last edited:
Artesia NM? That is remote.
Given that a typical whole house load is around 10 kW avg, I still think you're going to run into infrastructure issues asking for 20 or 40 kW more.

I charge at 20kW at my house not all the time but often and I've never had an issue. The HPWCs I installed in Roswell are 80A (20kW) each. I was charging at ~20kW with another Tesla pulling ~11kW... no issues, that's ~30kW from simple 200A service. The 400A service I'm installing in Artesia could easily support 60kW. It's no supercharger but which would you rather have? 48A L2? Or 60kW L3? :)

Sure... a 250kW supercharger would be great.... but I don't have $300k to entice Tesla to build one. I think 20kW for ~$3k, 40kW for ~$6k or 60kW for <$10k would be great options to have. Why not?

Why should only Teslas with dual chargers get to enjoy charging at 20kW in supercharger deserts? ;)

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 6.38.29 PM.png

I don't need it. I have plenty of SC where I need to go. I'm sure they will build more.
One problem with a slower chare is that you naturally need more of them to get the same throughput. That takes more land and forces people to wait longer.

..... wouldn't that be an argument in favor of having L3 HPWCs that can charge at 20kW instead of a bunch of L2s that people have to camp on for hours if there's no Superchargers?

So you think that only ~11kW, 70kW and 250kW is useful? No added value to 20, 40 or 60? No reason to offer a 20kW charger for ~$3k? Either 11kW for $500, 70kW for $100k or 250kW for ~$300k? You don't think there's a YUGE gap there between 11kW and 70kW?

Wouldn't the availability of more affordable 20 - 60kW chargers also ease the need for more $300k superchargers? For SE NM for example. If there were 30kW chargers at Carlsbad Caverns NP and a Supercharger in Roswell you could take a trip from Abq to the caverns... hike for 3 hours and leave fully charged without the need to stop in Roswell.

OR... having cheaper L3 would open the opportunity to be less restricted by superchargers. Instead of stopping for dinner on the way home and either having your choice restricted to walking distance to the SC; if your restaurant of choice installed a 30kW HPWC you could just go there and skip the detour to a Supercharger. Not many businesses are going to invest $300k in a supercharger but $10k could be feasible.

Last edited:
Sure would be interesting to add a 25 kW DCFC station at home. Pretty pricy, though. I'm seeing them going in the $10k range. Also, Tesla would have to make CCS1 adapters for our cars for us to be able to use them.

I think 11 kW charging at home is fine even on the tri-motor CT for me at least. Even if I do come home with an empty battery, I'll just charge for 8 hours one night, and catch up with charging the next night after that.

Sure would be interesting to add a 25 kW DCFC station at home. Pretty pricy, though. I'm seeing them going in the $10k range. Also, Tesla would have to make CCS1 adapters for our cars for us to be able to use them.

I think 11 kW charging at home is fine even on the tri-motor CT for me at least. Even if I do come home with an empty battery, I'll just charge for 8 hours one night, and catch up with charging the next night after that.

That's why I'd really like Tesla to get in the game. IIRC my upgrade to dual chargers was $1500 and that was 8 years ago. I bet Tesla could sell a 20kW DCFC for ~$3k.

I 100% agree that 11kW will be fine for the vast majority of people. But there WILL certainly be edge cases were a home charge rate of >20kW would be useful. I usually charge at 20A but I've also had times where the ability to charge at 80A at home was helpful.

I'd much rather see a $3k 20kW DCFC option than a 72A onboard option. What would REALLY be great is if they were stackable.

Check out the $7000 DCbel: EV Charger, Solar Inverter & Energy Management - dcbel

It's a solar inverter that has a CCS or CHAdeMo plug on it that can charge at much higher than 11kW. Takes most of it's power from your roof before losing efficiency when converting it to AC. I assume it can also run off the grid, just not as efficient (or free). Even claims to support emergency power for your house from your car, although they don't mention Tesla as a supported V2G setup.

My point is that instead of offering 20kW (80A) as an onboard option offer it as an off board (L3) option. Why not? If someone thinks they might need to charge a bit faster than 48A would not an off-board option be the better way? I would prefer a 20kW L3 option over a 20kW L2 option. I can install a 20kW L3 that all Teslas can use.
Hmm. One might be able to buy some 24-Amp Tesla charger modules from wrecked vehicles, rig up cooling and control, and gain a modular, scalable DC charging unit...

IIRC, first generation Tesla Superchargers used the 40-Amp units.

Reactions: smatthew
So i have a reservation on the Cyber truck and we are finishing our basement. What kind of power should I run to prepare? The cost of running it now will be a lot less than if the basement is finished.

What should i run:

2/3/4 or 8 gauge wire?
Size of circuit breaker (in amps)?
receptacle at the end (NEMA 14-50)?
If the run is less than 100ft, should only need 6 gauge wire for the 14-50 outlet. Since its a 50A rated outlet, 50A breaker.

Nick - I think they either came with one or two 40A chargers. The chargers could run in parallel.
Buying a couple of them from a salvage yard and making a L2 Offboard charger would be a fun project. I guess all EVs use the same standard to control offboard chargers?

people, people... please... i have the answer. calm down :).

Boat's have been doing this for decades, as well as large trucks! Two fuel filler caps!

Thus, TWO CHARGING PORTS on the truck.

You park this behemoth between two available super chargers (or just grab a tow strap and drag any ICE car out of them).

Then.. behind each tail light is a single charge port! BAM! 150kW becomes 300kW. 250kW becomes 500kW!

You're welcome ;) Each port charges 1 of the 2 100kWh packs! ta-da!

Yip, I agree, I posted that thought before on another thread. My 150 gallon tank on my two story RV has fillers on both sides and I actually used them once at a Chevron truck stop. Really speeds up the time it takes to fill your vehicle.

Only problem is MOST Superchargers in the country are so busy that getting two spaces next to each other free is gonna be hard to find until we see more of the 50+ stations. Even if you get two spaces free at a v2 SC, they cannot be the same NUMBER stall or you are only getting power from one charger...

Hopefully they put in the smarts to tell you to unhook the second charger as the battery fills at the point when it ends up costing you more to keep it attached for those states that charge by time instead of by kWh.

Any ideas from leaks or otherwise if the CT is going to come with 2 charge ports or are they going to stick to 1?
Also
I have my model 3 parked on the left in the garage and the charger is wall mounted on the left. I have reeled the extra cable and charging is quick and easy.
if the CT parks on the right, do we know on what side the charge port is (left or right)? If it is on the right, i think it will be a pain unroll the wire, run the charger from the right wall and then roll it back in again when charging is over.
Is there any alternative to this? Perhaps i am thinking of something that works like window blinds. You pull down and when you stop pulling it stops the blinds, then when you want to roll them up you pull down slightly and it rolls the blinds all the way up or upto where you hold it again. This way i can roll it up till it is just overhead and pull it down for charging.
Does such a mechanism exists for wires/charging? If not that what other options do i have for mess free charging? The CT is likely going to fit in the garage.

Any ideas from leaks or otherwise if the CT is going to come with 2 charge ports or are they going to stick to 1?
Also
I have my model 3 parked on the left in the garage and the charger is wall mounted on the left. I have reeled the extra cable and charging is quick and easy.
if the CT parks on the right, do we know on what side the charge port is (left or right)? If it is on the right, i think it will be a pain unroll the wire, run the charger from the right wall and then roll it back in again when charging is over.
Is there any alternative to this? Perhaps i am thinking of something that works like window blinds. You pull down and when you stop pulling it stops the blinds, then when you want to roll them up you pull down slightly and it rolls the blinds all the way up or upto where you hold it again. This way i can roll it up till it is just overhead and pull it down for charging.
Does such a mechanism exists for wires/charging? If not that what other options do i have for mess free charging? The CT is likely going to fit in the garage.

I have not heard of any such leaks, but if there is only one and assume it's driver's side like every other Tesla, wouldn't the simplest solution be to add another charger or outlet on the opposite wall of your current one?

There are tool holders that are designed to hold a certain (adjustable ) weight. I have no chargers in my garage. They are connectors. Like an extension cord with extra features. The charger is in the car.
My two connectors are plugged into outlets that are very near the ceiling fed from wiring in the attic above. One is on the left wall and is used for my wife's Y. The other is in about the center so it clears the garage door when open and is used to charge my Model 3. I could probably run the cord on that center one to my wife's car.
BTW you can buy many non-Tesla EVSEs and some of those have quite long cords.
Primecom has some good options. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVGXGDB/ref=emc_b_5_t
32A and 40A and 30ft to 50ft cords. Just use the J1772 adaptor that came with your Tesla.