Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck delivery price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a chance Tesla will not sell these trucks for the prices being published today? Now that GM has introduced the Hummer for 60% more than the Cybertruck is it realistic Tesla can produce the top end truck for 69k as offered? I’m not familiar with Tesla’s pre-order pricing versus actual selling price history. I’m sure many more than me here would know more.

Is there a chance Tesla will not sell these trucks for the prices being published today? Now that GM has introduced the Hummer for 60% more than the Cybertruck is it realistic Tesla can produce the top end truck for 69k as offered? I’m not familiar with Tesla’s pre-order pricing versus actual selling price history. I’m sure many more than me here would know more.
If anything, Tesla will lower the price of the vehicle.

Also, there is no benefit to pre-ordering with the exception of locking in that potentially higher price.

Reactions: kayak1 and Gasaraki
The current CT pricing is dependent on Tesla scaling up the new battery cell that they showed at Battery Day. Right now that cell is still in the lab stage. So anything anyone says is pure speculation.

If they do lower the price, just cancel your order, get your $100 back, and place a new order.

As for reservations, Tesla has their own algorithms for production. Tesla lives and dies by their production and delivery numbers per quarter. They will do whatever they can to make those numbers as high as possible.

They will first deliver whatever they can produce the quickest and easiest. As an example, they may have a supplier delay for a certain wheel, or other option. In the case of Model Y, the 5 seat configuration was easier since they could just slightly modify Model 3 back seat. If you ordered the 3rd row you had to wait because they were still designing it.

Next they will batch configurations, colors, and destinations to simplify production and delivery. Historically, those closer to the factory have received cars earlier.

Preordering doesn't work like a line? First-come, first-served?
There's a lot of debate about whether preorders are about being in line, vs locking in a price. Much as I want to think I'm ~#48,000 in line, nothing actually says your place in line, they've flipped the build schedule (1/2/3 motors) around, existing & local owners tend to get release preference, and hopefully not being quite ready to buy when the time comes doesn't kick you to the end. Presumably early orders will get early deliveries, but there's too much uncertainty to know you're "in line" per se.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
The current CT pricing is dependent on Tesla scaling up the new battery cell that they showed at Battery Day. Right now that cell is still in the lab stage. So anything anyone says is pure speculation.

If they do lower the price, just cancel your order, get your $100 back, and place a new order.

As for reservations, Tesla has their own algorithms for production. Tesla lives and dies by their production and delivery numbers per quarter. They will do whatever they can to make those numbers as high as possible.

They will first deliver whatever they can produce the quickest and easiest. As an example, they may have a supplier delay for a certain wheel, or other option. In the case of Model Y, the 5 seat configuration was easier since they could just slightly modify Model 3 back seat. If you ordered the 3rd row you had to wait because they were still designing it.

Next they will batch configurations, colors, and destinations to simplify production and delivery. Historically, those closer to the factory have received cars earlier.

If the price is lower, they will just give you the lower price... you don't have to f u c * * n cancel and replace your order. That's the stupidest sh** i've ever heard.

Expect pricing to be in line with what they revealed. They typically haven’t gone away from launch pricing, unless you reserved your Cybertruck after FSD price increases, or make changes to the config, which could affect your pricing on FSD if that cost changes..which it will be Monday.

The only thing Tesla will likely do is make the single motor, delayed, or potentially drop it all together. Tesla typically will prioritize the high dollar variants first, then as they ramp production, will move down to the lower cost options. All based on features, and spec your final design is, then they do a run of that version, and will ship based on proximity to the factory and RN#. Being a lower RN# won’t guarantee an earlier delivery, if your spec doesn’t match whatever they decide to run production on first.

Reactions: kayak1
There's a lot of debate about whether preorders are about being in line, vs locking in a price. Much as I want to think I'm ~#48,000 in line, nothing actually says your place in line, they've flipped the build schedule (1/2/3 motors) around, existing & local owners tend to get release preference, and hopefully not being quite ready to buy when the time comes doesn't kick you to the end. Presumably early orders will get early deliveries, but there's too much uncertainty to know you're "in line" per se.
That's how previous model releases worked? Just curious because I wasn't interested in Tesla back then, so I wasn't paying attention.

Do you (or anyone else reading) happen to know how many preorders for previous models actually followed through to become real orders? I'm also curious how many preorders there were for other models prior to their release relative to the over 500k (?) for the CT.

I'd actually be thrilled to know that orders aren't delivered chronologically by order date because I placed my tri-motor order just 3 weeks ago :D

That's how previous model releases worked? Just curious because I wasn't interested in Tesla back then, so I wasn't paying attention.

Do you (or anyone else reading) happen to know how many preorders for previous models actually followed through to become real orders? I'm also curious how many preorders there were for other models prior to their release relative to the over 500k (?) for the CT.

I'd actually be thrilled to know that orders aren't delivered chronologically by order date because I placed my tri-motor order just 3 weeks ago :D

Others will know better than I but I think it starts by configuration. Trimotor will be first built then dual and then possibly single. There were some geographic overlays where people closest to the factory were getting deliveries so there would be cars on the road, I’m not sure this is the case any longer. However, date will be an important driver. If you ordered a tri-motor on launch announcement, virtually a year ago, vs a couple weeks ago you would certainly expect to receive the vehicle with the earlier order date long before the one with the later date. I’m guessing date is a big factor—at least I hope because I reserved within minutes of the announcement.

Guys...
http___www.anrdoezrs.net_fr121p-85-7NWRXRUPSNPPWPPTXV_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barnesandnoble.jpeg

There Is No Line.

Cybertruck Tesla Matrix

SS

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and Zer0t
OK, this has been my experience. I reserved my Model 3 about a month after the reveal. I waited about 30 months to get my car. The ramp was pretty crazy and confusing but what ended up happening was Configuration (performance model first), Location (west coast first) and whether you were a previous Tesla owner got initial priority. While somewhat frustrating for those of us that didn't qualify on any of those fronts, in hind sight it really made sense. For a brand new product they wanted to produce the high margin performance models first. Also, they didn't want to increase the complexity of the ramp by bringing long range delivery logistics into it. Thirdly, they wanted people familiar with Tesla and its technology to get the early examples first so they could provide knowledgeable feedback on the early cars.

Now, with respect to the Cybertruck, I don't think location will have as much of an impact this time around. The logistics have largely been worked out with Model 3 and Model Y. I do expect them to produce high margin versions first (tri and dual motor versions). Based on previous experience, I do expect them to consider previous owners first, at least initially. Tesla tends to reward previous owners somewhat and I don't see that changing. The frustration comes when people qualify on one of these aspects but not others. People tend to think the area they qualify for should trump others who qualify in another. Keep in mind, I qualified on NONE of these with my Model 3 and, as close as I could tell, it delayed my delivery by maybe a few months, and that was with the crazy Model 3 ramp. I suspect the Cybertruck ramp to be much smoother.

Bottom line...if you are thinking when you pre-ordered will insure your place in some sort of line, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I reserved my Cybertruck for the sole reason of locking in Full Self Driving cost, which is very important to me. If FSD wasn't important to me, I would not have reserved and just waited until they started to ramp. But hey, that's just me.

My recommendation...evaluate your priorities and then reserve or don't. After that, FORGET YOU MADE THE RESERVATION and get on with your life. Your truck will come when it comes. If you constantly fuss over the internet worrying where you are in some perceived line, you are going to give yourself an ulcer.

There's a reason I named my Model 3 PATIENCE! ;)

Just my $0.02.

Dan

OK, this has been my experience. I reserved my Model 3 about a month after the reveal. I waited about 30 months to get my car. The ramp was pretty crazy and confusing but what ended up happening was Configuration (performance model first), Location (west coast first) and whether you were a previous Tesla owner got initial priority. While somewhat frustrating for those of us that didn't qualify on any of those fronts, in hind sight it really made sense. For a brand new product they wanted to produce the high margin performance models first. Also, they didn't want to increase the complexity of the ramp by bringing long range delivery logistics into it. Thirdly, they wanted people familiar with Tesla and its technology to get the early examples first so they could provide knowledgeable feedback on the early cars.

Now, with respect to the Cybertruck, I don't think location will have as much of an impact this time around. The logistics have largely been worked out with Model 3 and Model Y. I do expect them to produce high margin versions first (tri and dual motor versions). Based on previous experience, I do expect them to consider previous owners first, at least initially. Tesla tends to reward previous owners somewhat and I don't see that changing. The frustration comes when people qualify on one of these aspects but not others. People tend to think the area they qualify for should trump others who qualify in another. Keep in mind, I qualified on NONE of these with my Model 3 and, as close as I could tell, it delayed my delivery by maybe a few months, and that was with the crazy Model 3 ramp. I suspect the Cybertruck ramp to be much smoother.

Bottom line...if you are thinking when you pre-ordered will insure your place in some sort of line, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I reserved my Cybertruck for the sole reason of locking in Full Self Driving cost, which is very important to me. If FSD wasn't important to me, I would not have reserved and just waited until they started to ramp. But hey, that's just me.

My recommendation...evaluate your priorities and then reserve or don't. After that, FORGET YOU MADE THE RESERVATION and get on with your life. Your truck will come when it comes. If you constantly fuss over the internet worrying where you are in some perceived line, you are going to give yourself an ulcer.

There's a reason I named my Model 3 PATIENCE! ;)

Just my $0.02.

Dan
I agree 100% with what you said including reserving to lock in FSD. That's why I did it also. The only thing I'd add is that owning multiple Teslas seemed to put you ahead of those that owned just one. Also, the ownership advantage only applied to as many orders as Teslas you owned. So, if you have 3 Cybertruck reservations and own 1 Tesla, only 1 of your reservations moves ahead of non-owners. Although this last point wasn't always the case. There did seem to be exceptions where a 1 Tesla owner was able to buy 2 Model 3's before non-owners with earlier reservations. That said, Tesla could still do something entirely different for the Cybertruck. The only thing guaranteed is that some people will be angry no matter what order Tesla ends up choosing.

I agree 100% with what you said including reserving to lock in FSD. That's why I did it also. The only thing I'd add is that owning multiple Teslas seemed to put you ahead of those that owned just one. Also, the ownership advantage only applied to as many orders as Teslas you owned. So, if you have 3 Cybertruck reservations and own 1 Tesla, only 1 of your reservations moves ahead of non-owners. Although this last point wasn't always the case. There did seem to be exceptions where a 1 Tesla owner was able to buy 2 Model 3's before non-owners with earlier reservations. That said, Tesla could still do something entirely different for the Cybertruck. The only thing guaranteed is that some people will be angry no matter what order Tesla ends up choosing.
There is no priority reservation line. It does not matter if you are an existing owner or how many Tesla’s you own.

• Disagree
Reactions: S3XY
The reservation list is also a great marketing pull for Tesla, which I don't mind because I am waiting for a cybertruck and I like what they are doing over all overall (warts and all). Having said that though, for long term ownership, I'd rather get one built in Yr2 rather than Yr1 because it's taken that long for M3 and MY production line to work our most of the clunkier issues. By Yr3 build, each of the cars are fantastic.

But there is also the getting your new toy first rush. It seems some of the build issues are always fixed by the SC after you get the early builds anyway. Not all though. A friend who is one of the earliest Model X owners with non-fold-flat middle seats is really annoyed and talks about it many times.

I don't think Tesla has ever hidden the fact that the deliveries have been based on location and profitability before the position in the pre order queue. The dual motor is what they're building first, the single motor will be a year behind from what they've last said officially.

Reactions: empiredown
There is no priority reservation line. It does not matter if you are an existing owner or how many Tesla’s you own.
Our speculation is all based on how Tesla handled reservations for the Model 3. That was the last time they had way more reservations than they could produce vehicles. What is your speculation based on?

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Our speculation is all based on how Tesla handled reservations for the Model 3. That was the last time they had way more reservations than they could produce vehicles. What is your speculation based on?
The fact that they stuck to the model 3 reservation queue for about 2 days then abandoned it and did not have one at all for the Y. So more based on fact than speculation.

• Disagree
Reactions: S3XY