Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck design/features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be a lot of guesswork over the design and capabilities of the Cybertruck against what was actually stated, so I’ve created this list from the transcript of the presentation, along with any relevant tweets from Musk. After all, even Neil deGrasse Tyson got it wrong when he claimed the Cybertruck was much heavier than the F150.

Here is the link for the transcript:

Tesla Cybertruck Event Transcript: Elon Musk Unveils Cybertruck - Rev

Feel free to list additional info or corrections as they become available. (If this has been done already in a thread, sorry, I didn’t see it so please ignore.)

Chassis/frame:
  • same dimensions, same weight [as F150, 4000-5600 lbs]
  • moved the mass to the outside [exoskeleton]
  • stressed skin design
  • skin [made] out of thick, ultra hard stainless steel
  • won’t scratch. It doesn’t dent
  • ultra hard, cold rolled stainless steel alloy that we’ve developed
  • going to be using the same alloy in the Starship rocket and in the Cybertruck
  • transparent metal glass (Tesla armored glass)
  • aerodynamic - possible cd of .30 (source: tweet)
Suspension
  • adaptive air suspension (standard)
  • ability to adjust the ride height...so you can be efficient on the highway and you can also go off-roading
  • highest clearance of any production truck (16 inch clearance)
  • adaptive damping and adaptive ride height
  • best angular approach angle
  • best departure angle
Cybertruck Vault:
  • a hundred cubic feet
  • six and a half foot bed length
  • up to 3,500 pounds of payload
Charging:
  • access to all the superchargers
  • capable of more than 250 kilowatts [charging rate]
Features:
  • onboard outlets for 110 and 220 volts
  • onboard air compressor
  • autopilot standard
  • [accessory] ATV
  • load mode (drop real low and go high on the other side)
  • built-in ramp
  • ATV plug[s in and charges in the bed]

Here is picture of the Sail Pillar open
have-you-noticed-that-the-tesla-cybertruck-has-sail-pillar-storages.jpg

So I took the least efficient Tesla (Model X P100D with 22 inch wheels and did a comparison.)

This is the best design feature of all of them....

$16K in fuel savings over ten years!!!!... Since I charge for free at home (solar) and at work, the cost savings are actually closer to the full $24K or $2400 per year. I bet every fleet manager is rubbing their hands together right now. Combine that with IRS Section 179 and we are talking huge cost savings. Then imagine cutting these MPG estimates in half if you tow ( 3 guys in my neighborhood own huge lawn mowing businesses), would love to see their weekly gas bill.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 7.30.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Will the Cybertruck have 360/birdseye view camera for parking? Tesla should really bring this feature across all their vehicles. It’s available on far less expensive cars. I wish it were available on Teslas...
An enhanced birdseye view with a trailer would solve so many problems when backing up. Does anyone know if the current software shows a trailer in birdseye view? I don’t have a hitch so I can’t test it.
F652AA7E-25E2-4583-8CE5-E4DE9E2EF4C8.jpeg

So I took the least efficient Tesla (Model X P100D with 22 inch wheels and did a comparison.)

This is the best design feature of all of them....

$16K in fuel savings over ten years!!!!... Since I charge for free at home (solar) and at work, the cost savings are actually closer to the full $24K or $2400 per year. I bet every fleet manager is rubbing their hands together right now. Combine that with IRS Section 179 and we are talking huge cost savings. Then imagine cutting these MPG estimates in half if you tow ( 3 guys in my neighborhood own huge lawn mowing businesses), would love to see their weekly gas bill.

View attachment 483681

Why are you guys cherry picking the least efficient gas powered trucks? Are people really buying Raptors for fleets?
Most popular truck Ford sells is the XLT with a typical MPG range of 18-23.
If person drives 1k miles per month, avg 20 mpg, it's gonna cost them about 1750 per year.
Over '10 years' it will cost 2x fuel.
Of course if you are fully solar, that's another story altogether.

Reactions: coleAK
Why are you guys cherry picking the least efficient gas powered trucks? Are people really buying Raptors for fleets?
If person drives 1k miles per month, avg 20 mpg, it's gonna cost them about 1750 per year.
My co-workers get around 8 mpg when pulling a trailer with their pickups.

I picked them over the 2.7, 3.0 & 3.3 liter because - none of them have specs close to the CT. Those trucks I picked more closely represents the specs of the Cybertruck, 3500 lbs of cargo - none of these can do that, 0-60 in 2.9 none could do that, 4.5 secs again none, and only the F150 3.5L HO could out accelerate that CT (5.1 secs) the slowest CT which took 6.5 secs, 500+ mile of range, only one exceeded that - the Raptor with its 36 gallon tank, the standard is 23 gallons in the smaller F150 and 26 gallons in the mid tier. Also none could tow at the Triple level and all models of the F150 had fewer cubic feet of cargo space even with the 8 foot bed. Also the trucks I picked fit between the Dual and Triple in payload and towing performance and are most comparable to the CT AWD versions that most people will buy. Also none tow 14K in this class

But you are right fleet managers are cheap, once they calculate O&M lifecycle costs - its gonna get real interesting. World events in the Middle East could accelerate adoption, if oil infrastructure is damaged or the Strait of Hormuz gets blockaded, since this region provides 45% of US imported crude oil. (OPEC & Persian Gulf Countries)

Source: Tesla Cybertruck vs 2020 Ford F-150 (all models) comparison

Last edited:
An enhanced birdseye view with a trailer would solve so many problems when backing up. Does anyone know if the current software shows a trailer in birdseye view? I don’t have a hitch so I can’t test it.
View attachment 483708
So the current Birdseye uses sonic sensors and cameras. No way for those sensors to see what is behind a trailer that is behind the Tesla... only way would be if the trailer also has sensors/cameras that are connected to the car’s system or if you had your own personal satellite.