Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck design/features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the current Birdseye uses sonic sensors and cameras. No way for those sensors to see what is behind a trailer that is behind the Tesla... only way would be if the trailer also has sensors/cameras that are connected to the car’s system or if you had your own personal satellite.
The sensors can see more than one car ahead. What's the difference?

The sensors can see more than one car ahead. What's the difference?
Depends on what Is in front. Can’t see past a semi. Campers are a large obstruction behind the tow vehicle. it would be needed any way, I use tow mirrors on my truck and a blue tooth camera on the back of my camper and can see much more and more accurately than the digital view of our 3.

That 3500 lbs payload sounded like a lot, I figured you could never put that much in the truck w/o leaving the vault open, but I did the math and it came out differently than I expected. Someone wanna check my numbers?

100 cu. ft. of storage. 6+ gallons in a single cubic foot, water weighs 6+ lbs. a gallon, so 36+ lbs. a cubic foot x 100 = 3600+ lbs.

So unless you are carrying stuff lighter than water, like gasoline or hydrogen (not likely in a CT), or maybe quadrotriticale, you could max your payload before maxing out the storage compartments. Check them for tribbles.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Brando
I thi
That 3500 lbs payload sounded like a lot, I figured you could never put that much in the truck w/o leaving the vault open, but I did the math and it came out differently than I expected. Someone wanna check my numbers?

100 cu. ft. of storage. 6+ gallons in a single cubic foot, water weighs 6+ lbs. a gallon, so 36+ lbs. a cubic foot x 100 = 3600+ lbs.

So unless you are carrying stuff lighter than water, like gasoline or hydrogen (not likely in a CT), or maybe quadrotriticale, you could max your payload before maxing out the storage compartments. Check them for tribbles.
i think a cubic foot of water is closer to 62 lbs, it’s surprisingly heavy

I think a cubic foot of water is closer to 62 lbs, it’s surprisingly heavy
Ah, yes, well I did use the + sign to indicate I was rounding down, but that is WAY more than I thought:

https://www.reference.com/science/much-cubic-foot-water-weigh-ac1656c2efc1f7c8

Check out how much more it is to move concrete or maybe gold (1200lbs), gracious!

They even show how much snow weighs, looks like a full bed of snow is a significant percentage of cargo carrying capacity

In metric the payload volume conversion to water mass is easier:
  • 100cubic ft = 2.83 m³
  • Water density: 997kg/m³ (or roughly 1kg/L)
  • 2.83 x 0.997 = 2.82 metric tons = 3.10 US tons

While we're at it we can roughly work out the draft of the CT when used as an amphibious vehicle:
  • CT Displacement area (neglecting the tyre buoyancy) = 10.57m²
  • So roughly every 10cm (4") of vehicle height is one ton of buoyancy.
  • That means that if the CT floor is flat and sealed (which it should be for aero) it will start to float at just 30cm (12") of water up the body, which is at the height of the top of the front and rear bumper. (so not far at all) Leaving some 400mm (16") of hull height before you get to the frunk lid.
  • That means together with the maximum 40cm (16") of ground clearance, you end up with a wading depth of under 70cm (28") before the thing will float away.
Provided the door seals are good, and the rear bed tailgate has some seals, this thing would make a pretty good amphibious vehicle. Good enough for some river or lake fishing so you can leave the boat at home. Just need a small bilge pump and a tow hitch mountable submersible electric drive unit running off the 7kW 240AC plug as an outboard, plus an electric rudder/actuator and you'd be set! :)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Wishlist for Ctruck
1. Hard points to mount snow clearing blade, along with power receptacles for “hydraulics”.
2. Access from cabin to truck bed

I have a P90DL, and I’m waiting for a tri-motor Ctruck like I am a 9year old waiting for Santa.

First off, you need to subtract the driver and passenger weights from the total payload. You probably have at least one helper to load and unload, so here in the land of plenty, subtract 500 lbs for the weight of the helper and driver.

Some examples of some heavy stuff you might end up hauling:

A "yard" (27 cubic feet) of not-so-dry sand can be close to 3000 lbs. A typical Bobcat bucket capacity is about 1/2 yard so two heaping scoops of sand and your truck will be at or over weight capacity. A yard is not a very large pile. If you spread the sand pile level in the 78 x 57 Cybertruck bed, it would be less than 11 inches deep.

Or some sack-crete. A 60 lb bag is about 1/2 cubic foot. So 50 or so bags would hit the max weight capacity and take up 25 cubic feet of space. This would take slightly less space than the sand (it is mostly just sand)..

Or maybe you are hauling something less dens like retaining wall blocks. The larger ones are 77 lbs each, and are 8x12x18, or 1 cubic foot each. You could carry like 40 of them and fill about 40 cubic feet of space. Spread out in the bed, you could fit them, in 3 layers of 18 which would be 24" high. Don't know how high the tailgate is, but if its less than 24" you could start the top layer more towards the front and get the cover closed.

If you really want to haul water, you would need a tank. Unfortunately, the standard sized low profile tanks for pickups tend to be designed to fit over the wheel wells, so you lose capacity (the one catalog I am looking at, they are also 58" wide, so won't fit in the cybertruck). But a customized tank that would fit well in the Cybertruck, it could be 78" long x 57" wide and 24" high and would hold about 3000 lbs of water (375 gallons). Again, not sure how high the tailgate is, but you could design the tank to be angled if necessary so you could close the cover.

Wood would be something even less dense. 3/4" plywood weighs about 70lbs per sheet. You could carry up to 42 of those. The pile would hang out the back on the tailgate and the stack would be 32 inches high.

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea, a cord of wood is about 125 cubic feet (18 inch cuts X 4' Tall X 8' Long in 3 rows). Which is why if a guys shows up at your front door with a bed full of wood and tells you its a cord - most of the time its not, its usually 1/2 a cord due to the weight.

That Leads Us To The Question Of How Much Does A Cord Of Wood Weigh?
A cord of wood weighs approximately 4,000 pounds, depending on the type of wood and how much moisture the wood contains.

A cord of wood is too much to fit into the bed of a pickup.

Typical Full Cord Weights For Different Kinds Of Wood
  • Green Ash – 4,184 pounds
  • Cherry – 3,696 pounds
  • Elm – 4,456 pounds
  • Sugar Maple – 4,685 pounds
  • Red Oak – 4,888 pounds
  • Pine – 3,600 pounds
  • Spruce – 2,800 pounds
  • Sycamore – 5,096 pounds
  • Walnut – 4,584 pounds
  • Eastern Red Cedar – 2,950 pounds

Reactions: coleAK
Just to give you an idea, a cord of wood is about 125 cubic feet (18 inch cuts X 4' Tall X 8' Long in 3 rows). Which is why if a guys shows up at your front door with a bed full of wood and tells you its a cord - most of the time its not, its usually 1/2 a cord due to the weight.

That Leads Us To The Question Of How Much Does A Cord Of Wood Weigh?
A cord of wood weighs approximately 4,000 pounds, depending on the type of wood and how much moisture the wood contains.

A cord of wood is too much to fit into the bed of a pickup.

Typical Full Cord Weights For Different Kinds Of Wood
  • Green Ash – 4,184 pounds
  • Cherry – 3,696 pounds
  • Elm – 4,456 pounds
  • Sugar Maple – 4,685 pounds
  • Red Oak – 4,888 pounds
  • Pine – 3,600 pounds
  • Spruce – 2,800 pounds
  • Sycamore – 5,096 pounds
  • Walnut – 4,584 pounds
  • Eastern Red Cedar – 2,950 pounds
My brother and I cut wood for cash when we were in high school, pretty much all spruce and birch. We used a trailer for wood but Yep a cord wouldn’t fit in our 8’ bed 3/4 ton without the frame we built up on the sides. Oh the 1980’s two teens, chainsaws, mauls, Hand saws, wilderness, and no cell phones or helicopter/lawnmower parents.

I did the same with my old man, I remember working my butt off loading and splitting, I still love a good wood stove fire, and still heat with it to this day, even though we live in a 2 HVAC Gas heated house and don't really need wood, it just brings back good memories with my dad and my kids love it, since it draws them down into our family room. One morning I came down to find both my kids passed out wrapped in blankets in front of the wood stove with the dog, I think they love it more than I do now.

If it were colder here in DC we would have roaring fire going now, but it's too warm. Virginia is a big Red Oak area, and if its been cured, you could carry about 3/4 of a cord since it weighs about 4800 lbs per cord and has about 24 million BTU's per cord, which is pretty good for a locally sourced firewood.

FIREWOOD BTU OF EASTERN HARDWOOD SPECIES
Inconsistency between charts may exist due to different laboratory variables

Species Million BTU’s per Cord Pounds Per Cord Dry
Osage Orange 32.9 4728
Shagbark Hickory 27.7 4327
Eastern Hornbeam 27.1 4016
Black Birch 26.8 3890
Black Locust 26.8 3890
Blue Beech 26.8 3890
Ironwood 26.8 3890
Bitternut Hickory 26.5 3832
Honey Locust 26.5 4100
Apple 25.8 3712
Mulberry 25.7 4012
Beech 24.0 3757
Northern Red Oak 24.0 3757
Sugar Maple 24.0 3757
White Oak 24.0 3757
White Ash 23.6 3689
Yellow Birch 21.8 3150
Red Elm 21.6 3112
Hackberry 20.8 3247
Kentucky Coffeetree 20.8 3247
Gray Birch 20.3 3179
Paper Birch 20.3 3179
White Birch 20.2 3192
Black Walnut 20.0 3120
Cherry 20.0 3120
Green Ash 19.9 2880
Black Cherry 19.5 2880
American Elm 19.5 3052
White Elm 19.5 3052
Sycamore 19.1 2992
Black Ash 18.7 2924
Red Maple (Soft Maple) 18.1 2900
Boxelder 17.9 2797
Catalpa 15.9 2482
Aspen 14.7 2295
Butternut 14.5 2100
Willow 14.3 2236
Cottonwood 13.5 2108
American Basswood 13.5 2108

• Funny
Reactions: JBee and coleAK

There goes my plan for a mobile hot tub. ;)

Redneck-swimming-pool.jpg

Last edited: