Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck design/features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother and I cut wood for cash when we were in high school, pretty much all spruce and birch. We used a trailer for wood but Yep a cord wouldn’t fit in our 8’ bed 3/4 ton without the frame we built up on the sides. Oh the 1980’s two teens, chainsaws, mauls, Hand saws, wilderness, and no cell phones or helicopter/lawnmower parents.

Man great story, for me it was building fences for cash. Post hole diggers, gloves and my 84 Toyota pickup 4x4 (first truck). I guarantee i exceeded to payload/towing capacity on that thing with each job. We would drive down the fence line dropping off the post and each spot, dig and set each post. Once we got to the end we would use the truck to tension the line.

Reactions: coleAK
I'd be a bit concerned about the power outlets in the vault area.

I'd assume the 240V outlets will have a floating earth because the CT is mounted on rubber tyres. This means you will need to short two cables for power to flow, and not just one like on a household circuit, where the second circuit cam be through the ground. I'd also say the 240/110V outlets will have a earth leakage protection circuit (to the vehicle body) and will need the user to switch it on first before its live.

There goes my plan for a mobile hot tub. ;)

Redneck-swimming-pool.jpg

Good News! After the revised calculations, it turns out you can put a 24" deep redneck hot tub in the back of the CT and still be under 3500 lbs. That's probably all the way up to the top of the tailgate.

The real question would be if the roll top could handle the dynamic forces of the water sloshing around so you can drive to the party with the cover closed to avoid losing so much water.

• Love
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Good News! After the revised calculations, it turns out you can put a 24" deep redneck hot tub in the back of the CT and still be under 3500 lbs. That's probably all the way up to the top of the tailgate.

The real question would be if the roll top could handle the dynamic forces of the water sloshing around so you can drive to the party with the cover closed to avoid losing so much water.
Sloppy thinking. You have your party during a torrential downpour, drive with the cover open and fill on the way there.

Yeah, now I am curious how the cytruck handles water run-off. Rain in a traditional pickup gets out in the gap between the bed and then liftgate. If that leaks than the video of people taking the CT out boating will not happen, fill the bed with water and the truck will sink. Even if you expect to close the vault when it rains the hinge channels in the cover must drain somewhere, is it into the bed? That will suck if you have a non-plastic mattress back there to sleep on.

Neutral only works for a super short distance. Too bad they don't offer a driveshaft that you could disconnect when you wanna 4 wheels down tow. I would love to have the Tesla be the runabout that I tow behind my RV. I am keeping the car that I can tow for almost no other reason...

When they allow the car to platoon behind another vehicle I hope they allow it to be a non-tesla, otherwise, I'll just have to use summon and not be able to focus on the car as it goes, just trust it hasn't blown a tire. Maybe it will let me SEND the car somewhere and I can just follow it in the motorhome.

There seems to be a lot of guesswork over the design and capabilities of the Cybertruck against what was actually stated, so I’ve created this list from the transcript of the presentation, along with any relevant tweets from Musk. After all, even Neil deGrasse Tyson got it wrong when he claimed the Cybertruck was much heavier than the F150.

Here is the link for the transcript:

Tesla Cybertruck Event Transcript: Elon Musk Unveils Cybertruck - Rev

Feel free to list additional info or corrections as they become available. (If this has been done already in a thread, sorry, I didn’t see it so please ignore.)

Chassis/frame:
  • same dimensions, same weight [as F150, 4000-5600 lbs]
  • moved the mass to the outside [exoskeleton]
  • stressed skin design
  • skin [made] out of thick, ultra hard stainless steel
  • won’t scratch. It doesn’t dent
  • ultra hard, cold rolled stainless steel alloy that we’ve developed
  • going to be using the same alloy in the Starship rocket and in the Cybertruck
  • transparent metal glass (Tesla armored glass)
  • aerodynamic - possible cd of .30 (source: tweet)
Suspension
  • adaptive air suspension (standard)
  • ability to adjust the ride height...so you can be efficient on the highway and you can also go off-roading
  • highest clearance of any production truck (16 inch clearance)
  • adaptive damping and adaptive ride height
  • best angular approach angle
  • best departure angle
Cybertruck Vault:
  • a hundred cubic feet
  • six and a half foot bed length
  • up to 3,500 pounds of payload
Charging:
  • access to all the superchargers
  • capable of more than 250 kilowatts [charging rate]
Features:
  • onboard outlets for 110 and 220 volts
  • onboard air compressor
  • autopilot standard
  • [accessory] ATV
  • load mode (drop real low and go high on the other side)
  • built-in ramp
  • ATV plug[s in and charges in the bed]
Have you found out what the dimensions of the Cybertruck are? I am going to be building a new house and would like to build a garage that will accommodate the Cybertruck.