Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck design/features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree fully which is why I canceled my Rivian reservation, can’t go smaller then 20, well until someone does a brake swap out. I switched to a set of 17” the fist summer I had my LX570, and run them as my primary summer set up. So 8 years ago. I kept the set of 20’s and would use the 20’s when I took long trips and wouldn’t be off-roading, like when we would go 2k miles to the Whistler bike park. Until last fall I had 3 sets of wheels/tires. The 17’s on KO2s, the 20’s with defender LTX, and my winter studded Hakkas on 18” tundra take offs. Here it is on my summer tires. Sold the 20’s last fall.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
All else being equal (same model and build process on wheels, same OD on tires, same model tire) smaller rims (not tires!) are always more FE. They also perform better which is why F1 was running 13" wheels until they were mandated to run larger wheels.

The thing about low profile rim set ups is that the additional metal rim of an LP rim weighs more than the additional rubber of a taller tire sidewall. Low Pro sets ups always weigh more (once again, all else being equal). Furthermore the bead area of the tire and wheel is beefed up and there is more of it on a low pro tire set up.

Here is the thing, even if you spend extra money (i.e. forged wheels vs. cast) and manage to get the overall weight exactly the same on your low-pro combo, it will still be less efficient because the location of the weight is further from the fulcrum. Just like spinning on your old man's bar stool with your friends and pulling your legs in speeds the stool up even though you still weigh the same.

I get 'lookin' good' but large rims with are the ultimate example of form over function.

I know of a guy that dynoed a C5 Z06 going from the stock magnesium 17s to 22s (same OD on the tires, obviously) and he lost 30 hp on the dyno, and that only measured the loss on one axle, so it was actually double that.

Reactions: coleAK
All else being equal (same model and build process on wheels, same OD on tires, same model tire) smaller rims (not tires!) are always more FE. They also perform better which is why F1 was running 13" wheels until they were mandated to run larger wheels.

The thing about low profile rim set ups is that the additional metal rim of an LP rim weighs more than the additional rubber of a taller tire sidewall. Low Pro sets ups always weigh more (once again, all else being equal). Furthermore the bead area of the tire and wheel is beefed up and there is more of it on a low pro tire set up.

Here is the thing, even if you spend extra money (i.e. forged wheels vs. cast) and manage to get the overall weight exactly the same on your low-pro combo, it will still be less efficient because the location of the weight is further from the fulcrum. Just like spinning on your old man's bar stool with your friends and pulling your legs in speeds the stool up even though you still weigh the same.

I get 'lookin' good' but large rims with are the ultimate example of form over function.

I know of a guy that dynoed a C5 Z06 going from the stock magnesium 17s to 22s (same OD on the tires, obviously) and he lost 30 hp on the dyno, and that only measured the loss on one axle, so it was actually double that.
Well said. I hate that most people think larger rims are higher performance and unfortunately they have become an expectation and standard for American consumers. Like you said larger rims hinder performance in every aspect: efficiency, acceleration, stopping distance, cornering, off roading,…. I had track cars (SCCA and ice, frozen lakes that is) the standard was to always go with the smallest rims that would fit over your brakes. Same thing for off-roading. With a 20” I wouldn’t run a tire smaller then a 38-40”. A 20” with a 34 or 35 is just asking for trouble.

The defender has 20” rims with 33’s. The CT will probably weight at least 2.5-4K lbs more then the defender. Watch ~11:30

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Well said. I hate that most people think larger rims are higher performance and unfortunately they have become an expectation and standard for American consumers. Like you said larger rims hinder performance in every aspect: efficiency, acceleration, stopping distance, cornering, off roading,…. I had track cars (SCCA and ice, frozen lakes that is) the standard was to always go with the smallest rims that would fit over your brakes. Same thing for off-roading. With a 20” I wouldn’t run a tire smaller then a 38-40”. A 20” with a 34 or 35 is just asking for trouble.

The defender has 20” rims with 33’s. The CT will probably weight at least 2.5-4K lbs more then the defender. Watch ~11:30

No idea which is more efficient. I do know that Tesla will do whatever it takes to boost range though so I’m not super worried about it. If they can squeeze 10 miles more range out of a battery by putting a different sized rim on then you bet they will.

The rims on the Silverado look damned near low profile. I don’t even think I’d take them on a forest road.

1652660088808.jpeg

Doesn't Tesla already sell 'Performance versions' of their cars that get less range and ride worse than the standard version all due to the low pro rim set up? Also Tesla seems to have some very heavy (really cheap) wheels.

I don't think Tesla 'does everything possible' to improve efficiency. If they did they would at least offer an 18" very aero cf wheel option. It wouldn't make any appreciable difference under steady state cruising but it would certainly improve every measure of performance in stop and go duty cycles. Braking performance, acceleration, and efficiency would all improve. Of course instead of buying those cheap cast rims for $60 each from a supplier they'd be paying closer to 4 figures even at the manufacturer level.

Even a spun forged 18" wheel could offer significant improvements.

Doesn't Tesla already sell 'Performance versions' of their cars that get less range and ride worse than the standard version all due to the low pro rim set up? Also Tesla seems to have some very heavy (really cheap) wheels.

I don't think Tesla 'does everything possible' to improve efficiency. If they did they would at least offer an 18" very aero cf wheel option. It wouldn't make any appreciable difference under steady state cruising but it would certainly improve every measure of performance in stop and go duty cycles. Braking performance, acceleration, and efficiency would all improve. Of course instead of buying those cheap cast rims for $60 each from a supplier they'd be paying closer to 4 figures even at the manufacturer level.

Even a spun forged 18" wheel could offer significant improvements.

Operative phrase here: If they can squeeze 10 miles more range out of a battery by putting a different sized rim on then you bet they will.

Amen brother, I have 16's on my truck, and only ride on 19's on Tesla for this exact reason... 21+ rims are like high heels, they reduce performance, cost more, have more issues and add weight to an already heavy car... Tesla loves them due to the profit..... everytime I see a Model S with them I laugh at the idiot who fell for this marketing trick..
I had 21s, I like the look of them a lot more than 19s even though I had 19s on the non performance model.
not sure I’d classify myself as an idiot based off that alone, marketing was the entire reason I even bought the performance model.

I had 21s, I like the look of them a lot more than 19s even though I had 19s on the non performance model.
not sure I’d classify myself as an idiot based off that alone, marketing was the entire reason I even bought the performance model.
marketing??

You saw that commercial with the MYP smoking a 911 and jumped on it?

No, I saw videos of owners on here launching their performance model s and jumped on it.
There was no such commercial. I should have put a "/s" at the end of my post or something.

The lust for speed is hard to resist. I got the LR, but am tempted to pay for the mini-performance upgrade to get that extra 0.5 seconds acceleration. Just haven't pulled that trigger yet.

I fell for it too, my P85+ came standard with them, I felt like and idiot dealing with the constant tire changes, damages and air leaks... unloaded them to another Tesla owner, and bought 19's, when we got my wife's S, we ordered it with 19's and if I ever get a PLAID, it will be on 19's too. I will get the smallest wheels that they offer on the CT, then get something decent once I figure out the what works best for my use case.

Reactions: AMPd
I fell for it too, my P85+ came standard with them, I felt like and idiot dealing with the constant tire changes, damages and air leaks... unloaded them to another Tesla owner, and bought 19's, when we got my wife's S, we ordered it with 19's and if I ever get a PLAID, it will be on 19's too. I will get the smallest wheels that they offer on the CT, then get something decent once I figure out the what works best for my use case.
When I got my Model 3 Sept 2018 it was a mess. I built out a “stealth” a couple months earlier since I was early on the list for an AWD. Went online and ordered performance without the larger brakes and 20” wheels. Got a call early Sept 2018 from tesla stating that they were not making any more in that configuration and I would need to get the 20’s or wait another few weeks for a LR. After a few back and forths and a few calls to their techs I was assured that they wound never make another “stealth” and no rim smaller then a 20” Would fit the performance. No way I wanted 20’s so went with a LR. Had another huge lie fest from Tesla when my car was in transit (another story). The entire order and delivery process was terrible, but when I got the car pretty much forgot about all of that and have loved to drive it ever since.

So in short I didn’t get a performance because I thought I would be stuck with 20” rims.

No idea which is more efficient. I do know that Tesla will do whatever it takes to boost range though so I’m not super worried about it. If they can squeeze 10 miles more range out of a battery by putting a different sized rim on then you bet they will.

The rims on the Silverado look damned near low profile. I don’t even think I’d take them on a forest road.

View attachment 804783
frankly looks no different than stock tires on an F150 (non offroad). they are plenty fine for forest roads. even a model 3 or Y can do that...