Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original CT frunk opened like a regular hood. Recently, it's been proposed that the hood would include the front part as well like the Ford lightning, but then some remarked that at least some of the headlights need to remain forward facing like the FL to be legal. I haven't seen anyone consider that maybe it will work just like the FL which keeps the two side lights stationary while allowing part of the front facing hood to lift up with the top. This seems to fit the design perfectly as outlined below in yellow. Since they don't have a pencils down moment, maybe it just wasn't quite ready to show on this latest prototype? What do you think?

ctfrunk.jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
The original CT frunk opened like a regular hood. Recently, it's been proposed that the hood would include the front part as well like the Ford lightning, but then some remarked that at least some of the headlights need to remain forward facing like the FL to be legal. I haven't seen anyone consider that maybe it will work just like the FL which keeps the two side lights stationary while allowing part of the front facing hood to lift up with the top. This seems to fit the design perfectly as outlined below in yellow. Since they don't have a pencils down moment, maybe it just wasn't quite ready to show on this latest prototype? What do you think?

View attachment 917926
Yellow for the win!!

I hope not. I was really hoping for the front "short bed" option (full width). Maybe, instead, they put in a secondary legal-limit headlight *behind* the front "grill". Perhaps a tall, skinny headlight on each side that is exposed when open that can double as a work light? Will have to clear the wheel wells anyway so it can't be full width, I suppose but maybe close.

competition is good in many ways but people expecting & wanting so & so-this time Frunk almost identical or close to Ford 150 lightening is not worthy. I own M3 since 2018 & 2020 MY but have hardly used Frunk that much.

You have a trunk, there’s no reason to use the frunk. On a Truck it’s totally different. The Frunk is one of the best things on the Lightning.

I believe that many current owners do not use the frunk because it does not open/close electronically. Manually closing the delicate hood is often not worth the hassle of a potential dent/crease, IMO.
I added the Tesla Offer frunk actuators to both our Model Xs back in 2020. Before that we hardly used the frunk for the exact reason you mentioned. After adding the capability to power open the frunk with the push of the key fob/screen/app, we immediately started using the frunk all the time. Wife loves using it because it's a smaller space where things won't roll around much. Can't emphasize enough how much of a difference it made.

Agree. I have a 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat and both my wife (model S) and I (model 3) love the frunk. It is just soooo easy to access. Groceries go right in and right out without bending over or contorting to reach into the depths of a trunk. Also, I like to back into parking spaces so I can see better when leaving so it is easier to access coming out of the store.

BTW, don't know if you saw this:

At the Investor's Day, supposedly someone from Tesla said that the frunk "opens like Rivian, not like F-150 Lightning". I was really hoping for the additional access the Ford implementation gives (or the Chevy or Dodge Ram proposed models), but if true, I suspect Tesla is too far down the engineering road to change now.

Update: however after skimming through what is now 33+ pages of comments on that thread, there is conflicting information on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
BTW, don't know if you saw this:

At the Investor's Day, supposedly someone from Tesla said that the frunk "opens like Rivian, not like F-150 Lightning". I was really hoping for the additional access the Ford implementation gives (or the Chevy or Dodge Ram proposed models), but if true, I suspect Tesla is too far down the engineering road to change now.

Update: however after skimming through what is now 33+ pages of comments on that thread, there is conflicting information on that.
I think opening like the F150 (yellow line above) would make it much more useful. Looks like the front may be higher than the Rivian, so having to reach over the top (especially of the front is dirty) would certainly make it less useful. And I agree with the sentiment that the frunk is more important in a truck, as it would be a lot easier to store something in there than 1) open the bed cover 2) lower the tailgate 3) close the tailgate 4) close the bed cover.

We initially didn't use the frunk much except for long trips but now we use it a lot, depending on what the items are and the weather. Its especially useful to carry something that is smelly.

This is kinda like having the best world of both SUV interior trunk and a sedan trunk to me.

I think opening like the F150 (yellow line above) would make it much more useful. Looks like the front may be higher than the Rivian, so having to reach over the top (especially of the front is dirty) would certainly make it less useful.
I’m currently driving an R1T and I’ve found that Rivian‘s kneel mode makes accessing the frunk very easy, especially for my 5’6” wife. Last weekend I had the opportunity of talking to a Lightning owner and asked to see his frunk. Upon opening it up, a bunch of his stuff fell out. He just rolled his eyes and said you have to be careful not to cram too much stuff into the frunk or be careful how you load it since things will shift around while you’re driving.

I think both designs have their issues but after seeing that I much prefer my R1T style frunk.

Reactions: JohnB007
I’m currently driving an R1T and I’ve found that Rivian‘s kneel mode makes accessing the frunk very easy, especially for my 5’6” wife. Last weekend I had the opportunity of talking to a Lightning owner and asked to see his frunk. Upon opening it up, a bunch of his stuff fell out. He just rolled his eyes and said you have to be careful not to cram too much stuff into the frunk or be careful how you load it since things will shift around while you’re driving.

I think both designs have their issues but after seeing that I much prefer my R1T style frunk.
Isn't CT much taller though? I'm a male 5'5" and my wife is only 5'... 😅 And we do find Model Y's frunk very useful.

How much can airbags bring down the height?

Isn't CT much taller though? I'm a male 5'5" and my wife is only 5'... 😅 And we do find Model Y's frunk very useful.

How much can airbags bring down the height?
There’s been a lot of prognostication concerning the CT on this and other forums but until the actual production version comes out we just don’t know. The R1T with it’s air suspension can drop from ridiculously high (off road mode) to quite low (kneel mode) so I imagine Tesla could do the same with the CT if they wanted.

Reactions: JohnB007
There’s been a lot of prognostication concerning the CT on this and other forums but until the actual production version comes out we just don’t know. The R1T with it’s air suspension can drop from ridiculously high (off road mode) to quite low (kneel mode) so I imagine Tesla could do the same with the CT if they wanted.
IIRC Tesla claims the back squats and the side reach over is no worse than a standard large pickup with horizontal edges.