Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SIZhxuw.jpg

to0f62T.jpg

Reactions: VIKING26
I suspect this is not finalized, as I understood that at least in the US, the headlights have to have a fixed component - that is, they cannot be 100% attached to the hood of the vehicle. If this pic is accurate, it looks like the entire front light bar would be contained within the moving frunk lid. Same with taillights - some portion has to be fixed in place (i.e., not on the tailgate).

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
I suspect this is not finalized, as I understood that at least in the US, the headlights have to have a fixed component - that is, they cannot be 100% attached to the hood of the vehicle. If this pic is accurate, it looks like the entire front light bar would be contained within the moving frunk lid. Same with taillights - some portion has to be fixed in place (i.e., not on the tailgate).
they should have thought about that beforehand and not after seeing the F150 Lightning go "oh damn... we need feature parity here..."

This is a common misconception. It is allowable to have the headlamps affixed to a moving hood. The C4 Corvette and Pontiac Solstice are examples of this.

S5.3Location of required equipment. Except as provided in paragraphs S5.3.2, S5.7, and S7, each lamp, reflective device, and item of associated equipment shall be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle other than glazing that is not designed to be removed except for repair, in accordance with the requirements of Table I and Table III, as applicable, and in the location specified in Table II (multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, trailers, and buses 80 or more inches in overall width) or Table IV (all passenger cars, and motorcycles, and multipurpose passenger vehicles, truck, trailers and buses less than 80 inches in overall width), as applicable.
However note the exemption of a panel that has to be removed for repair, that would be the hood, you have to lift or remove it to do repairs. So it makes those lights exempt.
As for the other lights
S5.3.2.2If any required lamp or reflective device is obstructed by motor vehicle equipment (e.g., mirrors, snow plows, wrecker booms, backhoes, winches, etc.), and cannot meet requirements of S5.3.2, the vehicle must be equipped with an additional lamp or device of the same type which meet all applicable requirements of this standard, including S5.3.2.
That is why many hatchbacks and others have 4 rear lamps, if you have the trunk or hatch open, the lights mounted on them is considered "obstructed" and you need other lamps to fill the requirement.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
S5.3Location of required equipment. Except as provided in paragraphs S5.3.2, S5.7, and S7, each lamp, reflective device, and item of associated equipment shall be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle other than glazing that is not designed to be removed except for repair, in accordance with the requirements of Table I and Table III, as applicable, and in the location specified in Table II (multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, trailers, and buses 80 or more inches in overall width) or Table IV (all passenger cars, and motorcycles, and multipurpose passenger vehicles, truck, trailers and buses less than 80 inches in overall width), as applicable.
However note the exemption of a panel that has to be removed for repair, that would be the hood, you have to lift or remove it to do repairs. So it makes those lights exempt.
As for the other lights
S5.3.2.2If any required lamp or reflective device is obstructed by motor vehicle equipment (e.g., mirrors, snow plows, wrecker booms, backhoes, winches, etc.), and cannot meet requirements of S5.3.2, the vehicle must be equipped with an additional lamp or device of the same type which meet all applicable requirements of this standard, including S5.3.2.
That is why many hatchbacks and others have 4 rear lamps, if you have the trunk or hatch open, the lights mounted on them is considered "obstructed" and you need other lamps to fill the requirement.

Thanks for the clarification. This is as I remembered.

Franz did design both the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky. These vehicles had a great, enthusiastic team behind them (including Franz). They were, however, a royal pain to assemble.

Sadly, GM lost many good design people over the years simply because of the incredibly oppressive bureaucracy that they had to follow.