Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck gigapress (9000T Idra Press) being assembled! in Italy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
drone%20package%20delivery%20.jpg

He already has the drones.. too

Cyber Rodeo at Giga Texas - YouTube 2022-06-01 17-03-43.jpg

Tesla may make the total chassis out of one huge casting. Front to back, with the battery simply bolted in the middle.

Then could fab the side exoskeleton in a single piece, making assembly so much easier and less expensive.

Classic Elon re look at the building process.
How does this impact the consumer? I doubt prices will decline just because manufacturing is cheaper, just an opportunity for increased margins. And what happens during an accident or even normal use where a casting crack is created? Is the car totaled automatically? If not, will there be enough trained welders to do the repairs? Or is the car just disposable? What could be terrific for Tesla may be less so for consumers and insurance companies the latter of which will never lose money.

How does this impact the consumer? I doubt prices will decline just because manufacturing is cheaper, just an opportunity for increased margins. And what happens during an accident or even normal use where a casting crack is created? Is the car totaled automatically? If not, will there be enough trained welders to do the repairs? Or is the car just disposable? What could be terrific for Tesla may be less so for consumers and insurance companies the latter of which will never lose money.

Tesla prices their products like everybody else: supply and demand.

Even if your vehicle is totaled for a "minor" incident, the remaining unmolested parts end up in the secondary market and help reduce the cost of repairs elsewhere, which is great for everybody (unless you didn't have insurance lol).

Tesla prices their products like everybody else: supply and demand.
Yup. And for the foreseeable future demand will far exceed supply and not just for Tesla but for EVs in general. I’m still trying to buy the first available of either an Ioniq5 or GV60. You just cannot get one the result of which is ludicrous dealer markups on the precious few that come into country and no GV60s at all yet.
Even if your vehicle is totaled for a "minor" incident, the remaining unmolested parts end up in the secondary market and help reduce the cost of repairs elsewhere, which is great for everybody (unless you didn't have insurance lol).
Yes, and again this is good at the macro level but the original buyer is sort of screwed out of their car…which was my posit.

If the giga press is needed for the cybertruck production and it is just being built. The only cybertrucks that Tesla built now are prototypes and no preproduction trucks have been built and tested. How is Tesla going to deliver trucks in 2023
If the most critical aspect of the manufacturing line is designed, built and is being assembled, then I think the rest will go together pretty easily. But of greater import is battery production - same as every one else. That's the most likely area of delay.

If the giga press is needed for the cybertruck production and it is just being built. The only cybertrucks that Tesla built now are prototypes and no preproduction trucks have been built and tested. How is Tesla going to deliver trucks in 2023
A casting machine is not the only way to make a large aluminum part, but it’s the best way to make a million copies quickly and cheaply.

The prototype probably has a CNC-machined cradle instead of a cast one.

Wouldn't you need two of them? One to stamp the left side and one to stamp the right side. How long will it take for the giga press to take the Boat ride?

As noted by Sandy Munro, the MY initially used a two-piece casting for the rear, later upgraded to a single piece. GigaTexas showed off front castings but those are just now getting delivered.

Not sure exactly what you mean, though...each cast part is produced inside a sealed cavity with at least two halves; a "stamp" makes shapes out of sheet metal, and is a completely different process.

IDRA says shipping via boat takes about 4 weeks.

There is the broader question related to repairability of the structural pack vehicles as well. What's good for the factory is not always what's best for the end user/repair shop.
They aren't. I maintain there will be a handful of trucks delivered in 2023 (just to say they started deliveries in 2023) but it will be 2024 before they really get rolling.

Reactions: SalisburySam