Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Gooseneck Hitch Capability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just received our Model Y from Tesla this week and are loving it. We have already put the $100 order in for the cybertruck, however we are having some reservations about if the truck will be able to tow using a gooseneck hitch. So far I have seen no videos or forums that have even dove into this issue on the cybertruck. With a 12,000LB towing capacity though it wouldn't make sense not to have one. This is a big deal for us because we have horses that can only be towed with a gooseneck trailer.

If anyone has any information on #1 if Cybertruck will have the capability of towing a gooseneck, and #2 what kind of impact that would have on the battery and Autopilot features, I'd greatly appreciate hearing it.

I don't think anyone has any hard information at this point, but the Tesla renderings have included images of a CT pulling a fifth wheel. I agree--even with the dual-motor setup, assuming it ends up at 10K lbs GVWR, it would be almost ridiculous not to allow more than one kind of towing setup.

Regarding the battery consumption and AP question, the best we can do right now is look to the existing Tesla models. Towing is going to chew up your battery. With my LR MY, I hope to get 150 miles between charges pulling a 3,500-lb trailer, but I expect it to be closer to 100. Elon has suggested that the CT will have a different regen profile for towing. With a brake controller incorporated into the software, maybe they can improve the range by juicing regen while towing.

Trailer Mode currently kills AP as far as I know. Maybe Tesla will figure out a way for the CT's sensors to see around a trailer, or maybe there will be some sort of add-on kit, but towing adds an extra layer of complication that they may not want to attempt at any level of autonomy.

Reactions: PRO & TessY
Upvote 0
I don't think anyone has any hard information at this point, but the Tesla renderings have included images of a CT pulling a fifth wheel. I agree--even with the dual-motor setup, assuming it ends up at 10K lbs GVWR, it would be almost ridiculous not to allow more than one kind of towing setup.

Regarding the battery consumption and AP question, the best we can do right now is look to the existing Tesla models. Towing is going to chew up your battery. With my LR MY, I hope to get 150 miles between charges pulling a 3,500-lb trailer, but I expect it to be closer to 100. Elon has suggested that the CT will have a different regen profile for towing. With a brake controller incorporated into the software, maybe they can improve the range by juicing regen while towing.

Trailer Mode currently kills AP as far as I know. Maybe Tesla will figure out a way for the CT's sensors to see around a trailer, or maybe there will be some sort of add-on kit, but towing adds an extra layer of complication that they may not want to attempt at any level of autonomy.
Thinking out side the box.
SEMI ? perhaps some one will rent SEMI ?

reminder of usual vehicle development:
Prototype (might make more than 1)
EP = Engineering Prototypes (min. 10 test & select the components for vehicle)
EV = Evaluation Prototypes (min. 10 testing for manufacturing equipment & processes and regulations, crash tests, durability/reliability.

I have no idea WHERE the CyberTruck is in this development process.

Upvote 0