Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Home Charging - New Onboard Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The truck likely will not fit into my garage where my wall charger is.
I live in Ohio where the winter is not friendly.

Besides putting a charger outside, or going to a Supercharger (35 min from my house), what options do you have?

So without charging outside or away from your house the only option left is to charge in your house, yes?

I don't know your house, perhaps you can pull the cT into another room in your house? Build out the garage somehow?

This may all be moot as by the time the cT is available, you may need to get a new charger to get the full benefit of the truck and you may decide it's fine to park it outside. Too early to worry.

Reactions: schmluss
24 feet of wire fixes this problem, park it outside, pre-heat and pre-cool as needed as make sure you get the Winter Weather package, with the heated steering wheel, seats and wipers.

Put you do have a point about the weather in Ohio, I rented a Hummer H2 (the crappy one that's not really a Hummer) to drive from Columbus to DC and had to stop every 20 minutes to throw hot coffee on the wipers and add rubbing alcohol to the windshield washer fluid so I could drive the damn thing in a winter blizzard... took us hours to get through Ohio to WV... hated that trip, the Hummer was a sliding all over the place, but we plowed through it and made it to our meeting the next day. Sworn never to buy any of their products after that trip, it drank gas like a dehydrated dog, and had the worse traction control (if it even had any). Also sworn never to travel with the CEO who wouldn't fly..;) He has a Model S now too...

This is the problem most people don’t understand about Tesla’s. They need inside a garage. Severe heat or cold is not an option for them. AN ICE truck Cat be left outside. Not a a Tesla. So the CT is not for everybody

Yeah when I park my S outside at -20f it takes a whole 10seconds for the resistance heat to make it out of the vents. At least if I had an ICE I would only have to drive 4-5 minutes before I got heat.o_O

Even if the CT could fit in my garage, that's where I keep all my worthless valuables. So mine will be living outside, and charging outside.

Your porch light is somehow outside without electrocuting you. So are the street lights, and your electric meter, etc. I'd probably skip charging during a monsoon but the rest of the time I won't worry about it.

This is the problem most people don’t understand about Tesla’s. They need inside a garage. Severe heat or cold is not an option for them. AN ICE truck Cat be left outside. Not a a Tesla. So the CT is not for everybody
Sorry but this is completely false. Plenty of examples of Canadian owners with outside chargers. What about all those Norwegians and Scandinavians? Teslas are perfectly viable in Northern climates parked outside. As long as they are plugged in the battery management system will do it's job.

Dan

The weather elements (ice, rain, snow) wouldn't be an issue outside on the wall charger or the plug?
This;

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.51.42 AM.png

Is here;

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.49.46 AM.png

So no :)

Confused. You feel just Tesla’s have this problem? How did all the other EV manufacturers overcome it. Our leaf was great in the winter. And it never made it inside.

Reactions: nwdiver
I agree. I can't help but think Tesla will provide a higher power wall connecter for the cT.

I wouldn't count on it. Tesla seems to be going the other direction with L2 power. From 80A to 72A and now 48A. Realistically the frequency that charging even >30A (~7kW) has any benefit is so low that it's hard to justify the expense of a higher powered home charger unless you drive A LOT and have a REALLY narrow off-peak window you want to use. Especially if you have a Supercharger nearby you can use if you need it.

Lets say your off-peak window is 8 hours. 48A is 11.4kW. So in 8 hours it can deliver 91.2kWh. Even if the CT consumes 500wh/mi that's still ~180 miles of range you can get. How often do most people do ~180 miles of local driving in a day?

I'd say that I've benefited from having an 80A charger at my house <1% of the time. >30A <10% of the time. ~85% of the time I charge at 20A and that's more than enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK16688 and SSedan
I think that holds for your average family sedan or commuter car. But I'm guessing if Elon wants to go after more commercial users (fleets, individual contractors, etc.) who put on a lot of miles daily and probably haul trailers around, he'll have to provide a faster charging method.

My bet would be on L3. A smaller version of the Urban supercharger. ~40kW instead of 70kW; Or maybe just make the Urban Supercharger available for private sale.

Reactions: rhumbliner
Some would simply back their car near where their charger is and run the cable under the door when charging.

Where I live, I see lots of people parking their nice cars outside in the weather, while they have their garages filled with low value junk.

Maybe part of that hording affliction we sometimes see portrayed on TV.

Reactions: Falkirk and Fred42
I think that holds for your average family sedan or commuter car. But I'm guessing if Elon wants to go after more commercial users (fleets, individual contractors, etc.) who put on a lot of miles daily and probably haul trailers around, he'll have to provide a faster charging method.

Without researching it let's say 48amps is good for 25miles per hour. How many hours are you home?
Yes a higher power option is likely needed but not by most. I say this as someone who has an 80amp setup at home.