Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Home Charging - New Onboard Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when topped off, it can go farther than what a day’s charge can supply.

The most common estimate for battery size is ~200kWh. A 48A HPWC can charge that in <18 hours assuming it's 200kWh usable meaning a ~220kWh battery and assuming you're charging from 0 to 100%.

To get to that point you need to do ~400 miles of local driving. THEN to need to re-charge in <18 hours you'd need to have a need to drive ANOTHER ~400 miles the NEXT day; I don't think even most Uber or Lyft drivers do that. How common do you think this is? If it's <4 times a year a trip to a SuperCharger when required would make more sense than the expense of a more powerful home charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
To get to that point you need to do ~400 miles of local driving...

Or, you were towing 10,000 pounds for a couple of hours, and need to get back on the road, but instead you spend all day watching your electric meter.

A high-capacity battery is not very useful if you can't charge it fast enough.

That said, there's a design balance between the desire for faster charging, and what a residential load can provide. I guess we'll find out when CT arrives.

Zactley. I’m happy with taking a few days to top it off, as I don’t drive much most days, and long distance days are under 500 miles (or minor top off).

It’s the “oh, we’re going to Montréal - now” trips (1200 miles, nonstop) that concern me. Up side is 80% of 200kWh packs in a lot of miles fast, so few stops. Downside is gas is (?) still a faster recharge. Moreso is the Great American Vacation hauling butt & trailer across the Plains States, and long day trips where chargers are sparse and not super. I’m fine with planning accordingly, but other half isn’t.

But yes, guess I’m getting off topic.

Without researching it let's say 48amps is good for 25miles per hour. How many hours are you home?
Yes a higher power option is likely needed but not by most. I say this as someone who has an 80amp setup at home.

All true, but I still think you're describing the average family sedan. I'm looking more at commercial users who will put on a lot more miles each day and may have to recharge midday. @nwdiver's L3 suggestion strikes me as the most likely solution.

Commercial will either be back at the shop longer when folks go home for the night or much shorter if shared demanding a DC solution.

Tesla got away from the 80amp capable home charger I presume because with most houses having 200amp service maybe not lot of folks had 80 to spare.

I do think the Cybertruck is likely to spawn need for a DC solution businesses can buy but the current required is going to beyond residential.

Actually i believe the current wall connectors can take 277volts and if you have access can raise the charge rate beyond published tables.

• Informative
Reactions: rhumbliner
I need to get a wall charger soon as my Tesla Mobile connector is overheating. But I have CT reservation (tri-motor).
With the higher power output and better thermal resistance of the 4680 cells, I'm pretty sure CT will charge at higher than level 2 in the home. Possibly something like 60A with proper wiring and breakers.
Does anyone anticipate a new, higher powered wall charger getting released next summer?

The current batteries are not thermal limited to 48A either. The Model S used to be able to charge at 80A but they dropped support. I wouldn't bet on it but perhaps. The new models could have 140Kwhr or better and I think Tesla increasing amperage again to drop 0-100 charge times would be warranted.

Why is your MC overheating? Is it left outside in the direct sun? Maybe fix that first.

This is the problem most people don’t understand about Tesla’s. They need inside a garage. Severe heat or cold is not an option for them. AN ICE truck Cat be left outside. Not a a Tesla. So the CT is not for everybody

[Moderator: This is incorrect.]

my 2014 P85D lives outside and has been pretty happy. I keep it plugged into shore power when home and charge limit set to 75% when not planning a longer trip.

Still on its original 12V battery and original HPWC which sits outside under a very small eave. (Lots of other repairs, but don’t think I’d blame the weather). Connector gets rained on regularly.

don’t see any reason not to do the same when/if I get a CT.

had the electrician run a 100A circuit so I’d be able to do 240V 80A (roughly 20kW) charging when possible. Hope the CT will support this. The old “dual charger” setups did.

Last edited:
The current batteries are not thermal limited to 48A either. The Model S used to be able to charge at 80A but they dropped support. I wouldn't bet on it but perhaps. The new models could have 140Kwhr or better and I think Tesla increasing amperage again to drop 0-100 charge times would be warranted.

Why is your MC overheating? Is it left outside in the direct sun? Maybe fix that first.
No it's inside the garage. It's probably just defective I've had it 2 years now. It only charges at 4kw. Starts at 8 but then slows after an hour or so

I need to get a wall charger soon as my Tesla Mobile connector is overheating. But I have CT reservation (tri-motor).
With the higher power output and better thermal resistance of the 4680 cells, I'm pretty sure CT will charge at higher than level 2 in the home. Possibly something like 60A with proper wiring and breakers.
Does anyone anticipate a new, higher powered wall charger getting released next summer?
Perhaps the better question would be why? The current Tesla chargers should be able to add @30 miles per hour. In 8 hours that is 240 miles. Unless you are driving more than that every day it would not be necessary. And charging at higher rates than necessary is not good for your batteries.

CT will have 520+ miles range. Just this past Sunday I arrived back home with 3% charge. It takes my current setup a couple of hours to charge the battery enough to take a grocery run when it's that low. If CT can charge 3-4X faster, the question is why would anyone want to charge slower?

Reactions: kayak1
The trend is downward, not upward... And look at it from a larger perspective, it isn't all about you and your needs. If you need to charge faster, Tesla has SC and they will tell you that. A Wall Connector should suffice for anyone's personal needs and limit the overall impact of what we are doing. I'm all for everyone having freedom to do what they want, usually, but this is one area where I don't see it that way. The rest of us don't need to bear the burden of you (and the countless rest of "you") piling onto the grid so you can feel good about a faster charge. I also don't want to pay more for electricity because you want to have it your way. And that would definitely be a trickle down effect of more demand across the board.

Just my .02

SS

The trend is downward, not upward... And look at it from a larger perspective, it isn't all about you and your needs. If you need to charge faster, Tesla has SC and they will tell you that. A Wall Connector should suffice for anyone's personal needs and limit the overall impact of what we are doing. I'm all for everyone having freedom to do what they want, usually, but this is one area where I don't see it that way. The rest of us don't need to bear the burden of you (and the countless rest of "you") piling onto the grid so you can feel good about a faster charge. I also don't want to pay more for electricity because you want to have it your way. And that would definitely be a trickle down effect of more demand across the board.

Just my .02

SS
I disagreed with your post because (a) don't judge what the OP's needs are, (b) he might have Solar/Powerwalls and be driving on sunshine, and (c) its disingenuous to presume what he might (or might not do) will cause you to "pay more for electricity"....

OP I would be concerned about your current situation first. I have had an outdoor charger for five years with no trouble. Either your charger is failing or your wiring is giving up. Either way to continue to use it sets up a fire risk.
My opinion on Tesla limiting home charging power is most home systems can't handle it let alone for years and the more power pushed the less room for error from pole to car

Reactions: empiredown
It's pretty clear that the trend of L2 charging is toward ~48A, ~11.4kW. Bigger batteries don't seem to be shifting that. My 2012 MS has a 85kWh battery and 80A dual chargers. The new 2020 has a larger battery and a slower onboard charger. Even Rivian is putting a 48A charger in their R1T that has a ~180kWh pack. If you want >48A you need to get L3.

There's options available. Here's a 25kW charger for ~$12k. OR... OR... you can just swing by a public L3 charger on the rare occasion you need to charge quick.....

I disagreed with your post because (a) don't judge what the OP's needs are, (b) he might have Solar/Powerwalls and be driving on sunshine, and (c) its disingenuous to presume what he might (or might not do) will cause you to "pay more for electricity"....
It's not disingenuous... but it certainly is presumptive. And it was based on this: "If CT can charge 3-4X faster, the question is why would anyone want to charge slower?" which didn't state anything near your above unfounded assumptions or taking of sides. I'll give you all of what you stated would make a great case. For the much less than 1 percent that it applies to. As for reality... Solar Panels to Charge an Electric Car | Solar.com
So, again, if the guy is using more than his "fair share", plaguing the grid, or not planning and expecting to be at a full charge for a road trip that doesn't have an SC closer than 240 or so miles away, then yes, I do get a say and yes it will impact the rest of us. Thanks for your thoughts. I bet you also want to charge faster, don't you?

SS