Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck Image Leaked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the CT is striking, but ugly, and I think the real functionality of that fugly I will have to see to believe (much like the yoke steering wheel [and gullwing doors] that I think is an idiotic gimmick). It's a shame Nikola Motors is a scam. Of all the potential Truck EVs, I liked the looks of the Nikola Badger the most. Ford Lightning is a fair second place with a lot of smart practical applications, but the idea of buying an American legacy auto turns my stomach.

1643478176253.png

You mentioned GM, Ram, and Ford. Over the past 4 years all of those brands have had declining sales every single year. Last year they all lost even more share as Tesla rolled over the lucrative mid-high end of the auto market. Tesla’s sales surpassed BMW‘s… not BMWs EV sales, their total sales.
So how many units did Tesla sell in 2021? Because BMW sold in excess of 2.2M

I think that the CT is striking, but ugly, and I think the real functionality of that fugly I will have to see to believe (much like the yoke steering wheel [and gullwing doors] that I think is an idiotic gimmick). It's a shame Nikola Motors is a scam. Of all the potential Truck EVs, I liked the looks of the Nikola Badger the most. Ford Lightning is a fair second place with a lot of smart practical applications, but the idea of buying an American legacy auto turns my stomach.

View attachment 761769
That is a great looking truck. I agree with you on the CT styling, and it is getting worse now with the front bumper, side mirrors, giant wiper, etc. It is a shame because there is no need to go so extreme with it. The main value proposition is dent-less stainless steel and bullet proof glass. I don't recall anyone ever asking for those two things in their next truck. 🤔 I like to be able to pick a color other than the same one as my kitchen sink, a bed you can reach over the side rails and a frunk which is huge advantage in an EV pickup.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
The main value proposition is dent-less stainless steel and bullet proof glass. I don't recall anyone ever asking for those two things in their next truck
Probably because no one ever thought it possible. I'll take both thank you very much, anything else seems lame in comparison now. "What, your truck gets dents, paint scratches, and can rust? Why?" Just like no one asked for a cell phone without physical keys either.

Reactions: RVAC and 82bert
Probably because no one ever thought it possible. I'll take both thank you very much, anything else seems lame in comparison now. "What, your truck gets dents, paint scratches, and can rust? Why?" Just like no one asked for a cell phone without physical keys either.
Agreed on the stainless, though it poses constraints that do require some trade offs, like drag (probably). The glass is not as interesting to me.

That is a great looking truck. I agree with you on the CT styling, and it is getting worse now with the front bumper, side mirrors, giant wiper, etc. It is a shame because there is no need to go so extreme with it. The main value proposition is dent-less stainless steel and bullet proof glass. I don't recall anyone ever asking for those two things in their next truck. 🤔 I like to be able to pick a color other than the same one as my kitchen sink, a bed you can reach over the side rails and a frunk which is huge advantage in an EV pickup.
And that there is the thing about owning a truck... customization. You can get your vehicle in any number of combinations. and options.
When I watched the reveal night videos where attendees were getting a ride in the truck, they were a bunch of urban coffee shop goers.
I look at the vehicle and see annoyingly high side rails, no drain holes, tie down holes in a triangle shape with sharp edges(wtf?)
handles... guys with trucks wearing gloves would probably like handles, I know I do. Spare tire? where is it? Hopefully not like Rivian
where it's under the bed and you have to unload the bed along the highway to access it.

And that there is the thing about owning a truck... customization. You can get your vehicle in any number of combinations. and options.
When I watched the reveal night videos where attendees were getting a ride in the truck, they were a bunch of urban coffee shop goers.
I look at the vehicle and see annoyingly high side rails, no drain holes, tie down holes in a triangle shape with sharp edges(wtf?)
handles... guys with trucks wearing gloves would probably like handles, I know I do. Spare tire? where is it? Hopefully not like Rivian
where it's under the bed and you have to unload the bed along the highway to access it.
That is my thinking as well. The CT seems to appeal more to non-truck people looking for something unique to drive. Trucks from the Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota come in a ton of configurations to meet various use cases, price points, etc.

So how many units did Tesla sell in 2021? Because BMW sold in excess of 2.2M

You are missing the forest for the trees here. People keep this refrain up “When legacy auto decides to start making EVs… “

Do you wait until a new competitor is bigger than you? Just 80% of your size? Only beating your most popular model in some markets?

At what point would you suggest it is remotely interesting to start “Trying”?

Reactions: DblOSmith
I think that Ogre referred to US sales where apparently Tesla outsold BMW in 2021 IIRC
Yes and the CEO of BMW has paid for that with his job... many at BMW are outraged that BMW has fallen so far it's early EV leadership under the tenure of the now outed CEO...

I agree they are well positioned but I think the market is too big for Tesla alone. There is also no reason that the rest of the market will not be able to deliver compelling EVs. They just needed a company like Tesla to force them to do so. Either way it will be fun to watch it all unfold.

5 years ago, the rest of the industry was struggling to figure out how to make EVs and Tesla was struggling with how to figure out manufacturing at scale.

Tesla has licked manufacturing at scale. I’ve seen little evidence that the rest of the industry has figured out EVs. There are a lot of big problems they are quire a bit behind on solving.

If Ford could have produced 50,000 Mach Es, they’d have easily sold them all. They might have sold twice that many, hard to say. Tesla thrashed them at the very thing everyone says these guys are good at—manufacturing at scale.

Speaking of the Bolt, it sounds like GM is just going to quietly sunset it.

Chevy had the 3 best EV names and they’ve managed to irrevocably taint the reputation of all 3 brands.

* Volt - A solid hybrid but more or less left to rot on the vine after it’s first couple years
* Bolt - A solid EV but more or less left to rot on the vine after it’s first couple years
* Spark - An ICE vehicle… a great little car but it’s hard to upgrade a low end brand.
I owned a Volt from 2014-2017 then a Bolt from 2017-Nov 2020..

The Volt was an excellent and dependable vehicle, unfortunately it was necessarily complicated due to it's hybrid design and would be scary to own out of warranty. I imagine GM did not have a high profit margin on this one time halo product. They were happy to discontinue it based on "low sales volume".

The Bolt was excellent as well, a sturdy and dependable vehicle with no mechanical issues overall until the recent (LG made) battery fire issues. They will be happy to distance themselves from the Bolt name going forward.

Reactions: Ogre
I owned a Volt from 2014-2017 then a Bolt from 2017-Nov 2020..

The Volt was an excellent and dependable vehicle, unfortunately it was necessarily complicated due to it's hybrid design and would be scary to own out of warranty. I imagine GM did not have a high profit margin on this one time halo product. They were happy to discontinue it based on "low sales volume".

The Bolt was excellent as well, a sturdy and dependable vehicle with no mechanical issues overall until the recent (LG made) battery fire issues. They will be happy to distance themselves from the Bolt name going forward.
I wasn’t trying to pan any of these products. I totally agree. A friend of mine owned (maybe still owns) a Volt and loved it for a long commute.

The Bolt issue should be a case study in business school. It was certainly an LG issue, but on the Bolt, GM outsourced engineering of a critical portion of their vehicle. So much so that it was arguably as much an LG car as it was GM.

Reactions: Zorg
You are missing the forest for the trees here. People keep this refrain up “When legacy auto decides to start making EVs… “

Do you wait until a new competitor is bigger than you? Just 80% of your size? Only beating your most popular model in some markets?

At what point would you suggest it is remotely interesting to start “Trying”?
No, you're missing the point. You stated that Tesla outsold BMW, which is completely inaccurate.

Why the mods keep letting you post fallacy as fact is beyond me.

Last edited:
Yes and the CEO of BMW has paid for that with his job... many at BMW are outraged that BMW has fallen so far it's early EV leadership under the tenure of the now outed CEO...

Wow...a US based manufacturer outsold a German based manufacturer in the US? Color me shocked.

Kia outsold Tesla in Korea by 1000% in 2021. That must mean Kia is better than Tesla. 🙄

Reactions: alloverx