Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck Image Leaked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Musk somehow keeps the price increase on CTs to $10K or less, he would have a massive winner
I just want to point out the first sentence in that tweet.

”Creating an expensive truck is relatively easy.”

Musk is doubling down on the Cybertruck affordability.

I wouldn’t be surprised if prices go up. But this puts a pretty big harpoon in the $100k Cybertruck theory.

Musk was asked about Cybertruck pricing after the Rivian Hike.

His reply is classic Musk. Answers the question… says nothing.
Yep. And the reply is spot on. Competitive pricing means +20% since that is what the competition is doing.

I posted this earlier, but an actual price increase is not Elon's style. IMO, they will kill the single-motor variant. Then they will cut the specs of the dual-motor to hold the $49,900 price. They will offer an "LR" version of the dual motor with more range. The tri-motor will also have its specs cut in order to hit $69,900 and then there will be an LR version of that. Finally, there could end up being a quad-motor monster at the top end pushing $100k.

Reactions: Ogre
I just want to point out the first sentence in that tweet.

”Creating an expensive truck is relatively easy.”

Musk is doubling down on the Cybertruck affordability.

I wouldn’t be surprised if prices go up. But this puts a pretty big harpoon in the $100k Cybertruck theory.
Why? A model line can be affordable while still offering a high-end option. The Lightning runs from $40k-$95k. Why wouldn't CT be the same?

Why? A model line can be affordable while still offering a high-end option. The Lightning runs from $40k-$95k. Why wouldn't CT be the same?
I expect the top end 4 motor version will be at least that, probably more.
It’s possible there will be a top end one up there. I don’t think it’ll hit $100k without options tacked on, but maybe.

Strider’s comment is more or less what I’m thinking. Seems like a plague of people were claiming all CT prices would be $80k+ not long ago.

So an acquaintance of my configured his and put his full deposit down already and he’s not expecting his truck for some time yet.

The article I saw says it’s effective immediately, but if you’ve already configured and ordered yours (not just the pre-order), I think you might be safe? It’s not very clear.
Not safe, just read insideev's article and it states that if you are in the final stages of your transaction with rivian, no change in pricing. If not, you're hosed. If you want the dual motor then you wait till 2024 and still have to pony up for the bigger battery packs.

• Informative
It’s possible there will be a top end one up there. I don’t think it’ll hit $100k without options tacked on, but maybe.

Strider’s comment is more or less what I’m thinking. Seems like a plague of people were claiming all CT prices would be $80k+ not long ago.
Don't get me wrong. I am glad Tesla is doing their homework to keep CT costs down. We need more affordable EVs. That is what will lead to widespread adoption.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad Tesla is doing their homework to keep CT costs down. We need more affordable EVs. That is what will lead to widespread adoption.
Did you watch the Cybertruck launch?

There was a moment when pretty much everyone in the audience gasped and just lost their heads a bit when Musk revealed the prices. Nearly everyone was floored by those prices.

I think Tesla is going to try and retain that. Not necessarily those exact prices/ offerings. But that overwhelming perception of value.

I will repeat myself I predict that dual motor before options will be 59k and quad will start at 79k.
I’m not going to make any claims about prices.

There isn’t enough information to reliably predict where things will go. For example, nobody outside Tesla has a clue what 4680 prices will be like. Lots of other factors.

I suspect whatever comes will be reasonably palatable. Perhaps a price increase paired with better specs. @strider had some good theories too. Particularly the idea of lowering the specs on the base CT2 so there is still a viable option for CT1 reservation holders. It’s not just prices at this point we don’t know… we’re not even sure what configurations there will be.

If they did put a shorter range CT2 in the lineup, it opens up the possibility of a CT2 LR with 400 mile range.

Reactions: tren01t
Did you watch the Cybertruck launch?

There was a moment when pretty much everyone in the audience gasped and just lost their heads a bit when Musk revealed the prices. Nearly everyone was floored by those prices.

I think Tesla is going to try and retain that. Not necessarily those exact prices/ offerings. But that overwhelming perception of value.

However, Musk couldn't have predicted that nearly everything in the world was going to increase in price 20% during that time.

I suspect the average LR CT w/ AWD, AW steering, solar panel range extender included lockable bed cover, will come in over $75K. I don't like it, and have never spent so much on a vehicle. However I think it's a reasonable price considering the spec, but also what comparative EV & ICE full size trucks currently cost.

Really, the least expensive truck to buy/ operate will easily be the Ford Maverick. If it's too small a Colorado will do well for many. The price difference between a CT and these trucks will be enough to have free fuel for life for one of the ICE trucks.

However, Musk couldn't have predicted that nearly everything in the world was going to increase in price 20% during that time.
That’s why I said specifically they might not retain those exact prices.

It is the relative value which they will preserve, not those exact prices necessarily.

An increase inline with what we’ve seen with ICE trucks recently and now Rivian would be about 15-20%, what you suggest would increase the entry point for the line by 87%. Nothing affordable or difficult about that. Even relative to the dual motor truck you are suggesting a 30% increase which is way beyond any kind of inflation or competitive brand price increases.

To be clear, that's why I specified a fully optioned version, which is what many buyers will purchase.

My opinion is that the profit isn't enough on the 'starter' CT for Musk to even bother making. As such, I don't believe we'll see an entry level CT for years.

Here's hoping to me being wrong!

To be clear, that's why I specified a fully optioned version, which is what many buyers will purchase.

My opinion is that the profit isn't enough on the 'starter' CT for Musk to even bother making. As such, I don't believe we'll see an entry level CT for years.

Here's hoping to me being wrong!
I suspect we won’t see a CT1 for at least 3 years and only then if they have excess capacity.

The options story will be interesting. No clue where that goes. Tesla doesn’t tend to have $10s of thousands of optional upgrades but the truck might change that.

Reactions: Suns_PSD