TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cybertruck in sub. -30C temperatures

Discussion in 'Cybertruck' started by Nordah, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Nordah

Nordah New Member

Is there any knowledge on possibility of leaving truck in cold temperatures? 200kw capasity should make this possible, and truck use in the north would reguire this. I ordered, but I'll need to sort this out before final desicion.

2. Revelation

Revelation Member

The better question to ask is what effect temperatures will have on the new battery tech that Tesla is working on.
    I cannot imagine them rolling out a Cybertruck with existing tech to meet the stated specs.

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#3 S'toon, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  4. OConnorStP

OConnorStP Member

-30 is just plain miserable and cars/trucks feel the same way. That said, it's a lot easier to start my Tesla than it is to start the diesel tractors in the morning. Range takes a hit and at -30 I'd probably count on about 50% when doing travel planning if starting from dead cold. The outbound trip is helped a lot by preconditioning the battery. And here's a tip if you have a Performance version -- Ludicrous Plus has "Max Battery Power" which heats the battery somewhere above 40C. I get "springtime" range when I start out that way. But returning home after a full day of cooling off? Still miserable.

• Informative x 3
  5. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

I have a 2014 S. Heating battery to ludicrous mode temps to cope with cold is a foolish waste of energy, the only purpose it might serve would be staying warmer once parked. I think running some preheating partway thru the day would work a lot better to hold off a full cold soak.

Pack takes time to reach ambient temperature, preheating while plugged in helps offset what some have coined the "departure tax".
    I have parked my at work at -20f at work which is pretty close to -30c and by the time I left had the temp all the way up to -18c, it will double or triple energy use for the first few miles but it handles it.

I wouldn't go leaving it at the airport for days at -30c not plugged in but for a shift at work is fine in my experience with the S.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. ricohman

ricohman Member

We had a solid month last year where the temp never rose above -30.
    Plan your trips accordingly.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Just like the winter of '97. How I remember that year.

So, there I was, crossing the street by Midtown plaza. Guy tried to run a red light, had to brake hard to avoid hitting pedestrians crossing with the light. He rolls down the window, -30something, and starts swearing at them, as if it was their fault he had to brake. And then, he turns, and starts swearing at me!

• Funny x 2
  8. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I would also definitely recommend against licking the body panels of your Cybertruck at those temperatures.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Just need to plan one trip, starting from Here, ending in The Hell Out Of Here.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  10. M_D129

M_D129 Member

Would be great if they offered a battery heater option, instead of just relying on waste heat. Reduced regen on a CT, would put some serious load on those brakes.

11. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

The new drive units can operate in an inefficient heating mode, even which stationary. Same net result as the original S/X inline heater.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

Better end result, as it’s variable and can produce up to 7 kW of heat for the battery pack. :)

• Like x 1
  13. Nordah

Nordah New Member

I'm wondering if its possible to make 3 days weekend trip to hunting cabin without electricity on those conditions?

• Like x 1
  14. bpjod

bpjod Supporting Member

I'm more concerned about how the rear bed cover is going to hold up in winter. The button to operate it faces upward. Will freezing rain or melting snow get in there and freeze damaging the mechanism? Will snow on the cover get pulled into where the cover is stored when you open it and cause damage?

15. Laserbrain

Laserbrain Member

I wonder what happens when you touch the Cybertruck's steel body with bare hands in sub -30°C temperatures... instant frostbite?

16. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

Reading this thread makes me thank the Lord above I live in Georgia!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  17. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Not instant, unless your fingers are wet. In which case they are also now frozen to the body shell.

18. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Brakes will be capable without regen, would be wildly irresponsible to figure regen into safely stopping a load.
    That said pack will warm quickly towing.

19. M_D129

M_D129 Member

Yeah, I know they’d put robust brakes in, I just hate using brakes anytime now, haha. Any amount I have to use them I feel like I’m “chewing” through them. Term used lightly in this context.

That said, agree that towing will definitely heat up pack very nicely!

20. M_D129

M_D129 Member

Very good points from you and Mongo. I stand corrected! :)