Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck in sub. -30C temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any knowledge on possibility of leaving truck in cold temperatures? 200kw capasity should make this possible, and truck use in the north would reguire this. I ordered, but I'll need to sort this out before final desicion.

-30 is just plain miserable and cars/trucks feel the same way. That said, it's a lot easier to start my Tesla than it is to start the diesel tractors in the morning. Range takes a hit and at -30 I'd probably count on about 50% when doing travel planning if starting from dead cold. The outbound trip is helped a lot by preconditioning the battery. And here's a tip if you have a Performance version -- Ludicrous Plus has "Max Battery Power" which heats the battery somewhere above 40C. I get "springtime" range when I start out that way. But returning home after a full day of cooling off? Still miserable.

I have a 2014 S. Heating battery to ludicrous mode temps to cope with cold is a foolish waste of energy, the only purpose it might serve would be staying warmer once parked. I think running some preheating partway thru the day would work a lot better to hold off a full cold soak.

Pack takes time to reach ambient temperature, preheating while plugged in helps offset what some have coined the "departure tax".
I have parked my at work at -20f at work which is pretty close to -30c and by the time I left had the temp all the way up to -18c, it will double or triple energy use for the first few miles but it handles it.

I wouldn't go leaving it at the airport for days at -30c not plugged in but for a shift at work is fine in my experience with the S.

• Helpful
Reactions: mswlogo and GSP
We had a solid month last year where the temp never rose above -30.
Plan your trips accordingly.
Just like the winter of '97. How I remember that year.

So, there I was, crossing the street by Midtown plaza. Guy tried to run a red light, had to brake hard to avoid hitting pedestrians crossing with the light. He rolls down the window, -30something, and starts swearing at them, as if it was their fault he had to brake. And then, he turns, and starts swearing at me!

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Electruck
I'm more concerned about how the rear bed cover is going to hold up in winter. The button to operate it faces upward. Will freezing rain or melting snow get in there and freeze damaging the mechanism? Will snow on the cover get pulled into where the cover is stored when you open it and cause damage?

Brakes will be capable without regen, would be wildly irresponsible to figure regen into safely stopping a load.
That said pack will warm quickly towing.
Yeah, I know they’d put robust brakes in, I just hate using brakes anytime now, haha. Any amount I have to use them I feel like I’m “chewing” through them. Term used lightly in this context.

That said, agree that towing will definitely heat up pack very nicely!