Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck in sub. -30C temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't take it being very cold at all to make it so that 120v isn't enough to charge the car. It will keep the car battery warmer than it would have been if it were cold soaking, but I have seen several times recently when I was plugged into 120v but getting zero charge.

It doesn't take it being very cold at all to make it so that 120v isn't enough to charge the car. It will keep the car battery warmer than it would have been if it were cold soaking, but I have seen several times recently when I was plugged into 120v but getting zero charge.

Sounds like better insulation may be beneficial in colder climates. I know there was a thread here somewhere with someone experimenting with bonding insulation under the pack, I think on a Model 3.

May need to get a battery blanket for 12v battery or you may get stuck if -30 or lower since charge is severely affected on the smaller battery in extreme cold. Having a happy main battery is useless if the 12v start battery doesn't have charge to engage it. This is from living in Fairbanks, AK using an ICE vehicles. Model 3's 12v is a bit more insulated than non-EV, but not sure how it fares in -30 and lower.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy

o_O that's not what I want to hear... lost my garage in a divorce, so I plan on parking the truck outside even through the winter. Hopefully there's a solution. Anyone?

o_O that's not what I want to hear... lost my garage in a divorce, so I plan on parking the truck outside even through the winter. Hopefully there's a solution. Anyone?

If you plug in after driving, the battery should be warm enough to accept a charge and likely stay that way overnight. It's when the battery is fully cold-soaked that it's a problem.

Or, you can install a larger circuit with more amps.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy

Figure out how to get a 240 volt circuit out to your parking space. 120 volts is a barely-adequate option for a car, let along a hungry Cybertruck in the winter. Or rely on Superchargers, which is a less-than-ideal scenario, as well.

TT-30 or 14-50, the plugs used by RVs and travel trailers. It's not ideal, but a large gauge extension cord for either will work, and are readily available because of the RV industry. TT-30 needs a 30A breaker on 120V, 14-50 a 50A 240V breaker.

TT-30 or 14-50, the plugs used by RVs and travel trailers. It's not ideal, but a large gauge extension cord for either will work, and are readily available because of the RV industry. TT-30 needs a 30A breaker on 120V, 14-50 a 50A 240V breaker.

TT-30 (2.8 kW) is a poor choice for EV charging, IMO ... although it's certainly better than a regular wall plug. NEMA 14-30 (5.7 kW) or NEMA 14-50 (7.6 kW on a mobile connector) are the better options. A hard-wired wall connector is the best option, providing up to 11.5 kW.

TT-30 (2.8 kW) is a poor choice for EV charging, IMO ... although it's certainly better than a regular wall plug. NEMA 14-30 (5.7 kW) or NEMA 14-50 (7.6 kW on a mobile connector) are the better options. A hard-wired wall connector is the best option, providing up to 11.5 kW.

It's not a great choice, I agree - but it's twice the power of a standard wall outlet, and should be enough to achieve some charging even in severe weather, the plugs and cords are readily available - and it only requires 120V, which can be a problem in some situations.

I don't particularly recommend it, but I wanted to make sure it was offered as an option, because there are situations where it may be the only option.

Reactions: Big Earl
Figure out how to get a 240 volt circuit out to your parking space. 120 volts is a barely-adequate option for a car, let along a hungry Cybertruck in the winter. Or rely on Superchargers, which is a less-than-ideal scenario, as well.

That works for me, I have 240 right by my parking spot next to the house.

Appreciate the responses, everyone. :)