Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CyberGus

Not Just a Member
May 5, 2020
Austin, TX
While browsing YouTube I came across an ICE teardown. I got lightheaded watching all those many bolts, hoses, cables, seals, gaskets, and accessories get removed, piece by piece, down to the block.

It made me think about the CyberTruck (and Teslas in general) having a much simpler powertrain, and how that would affect longevity. Teslas will have a longer practical lifespan (and lower maintenance) over ICE vehicles, but what would a complete overhaul of an old and worn CyberTruck look like?
  • Body - stainless should be good forever. Plastics will degrade over the decades, depending on the environment
  • Battery - newer Teslas modules should be good for 300,000+ miles with minimal degradation, and future battery tech will be very different
  • Brakes - minimal wear on pads/rotors due to regen, but seals and hoses will degrade over time like any other vehicle
  • Motors - how many miles before a DC motor wears out? Can they even be serviced?
  • Bearings - axle bearings should be good for decades. The half-shafts have rubber boots with a finite lifespan
  • Air suspension - the bladders are probably good for 100k miles or 10 years
  • Heat Pump - similar to A/C in any other vehicle, although this also functions as thermal management for the drivetrain. Hoses should be good for decades, the compressor will need regular replacement (100k miles?)
  • Computer - Not user-serviceable. Lifespan…?
  • Touchscreen - LED screens in harsh conditions have a poor service record, but replaceable
  • Software - at what point does Tesla stop issuing software updates, and would aged software eventually doom the vehicle?

Our 2013 Tesla S is still under the original 8 year power train warranty which runs out early 2021.

Re: repairs

Air suspension - Tesla replaced two of the four corners, car was "low rider" when we arrived back from a week long trip to Saskatchewan and it was -20C for a week in Ontario Canada where our car sat idle during that time. Repair/replace was $1K per corner (covered by warranty).

HVAC - Tesla replaced the cabin heater core after 100000 km , it was working intermittently and finally stopped working in the dead of winter on a road trip. Replace/repair was $1K (under warranty).

Computer - our MCU1 was designed based on 2010 technology and is still running well, other Tesla Model S/X have had theirs replaced for $3K.

Brakes - still great after 140000 km.

Battery - 97% original capacity.

Body - aluminum, what's not to love, no maintenance, no rust. My wife did a DIY rust repair to some parts under the frunk where galvanic corrosion was producing a small puddle of rust on the garage floor.

Motors - various parts like window regulators, 12V DC motors for hatch and others work fine

Reactions: CyberGus
There are a lot of high mileage ICE vehicles out there with original drivetrains. Only time will tell with the Cybertruck This is a list of the highest mileage trucks for sale on auto trader
f450-2.jpg

It’s time to do a roundup of the highest-mileage pickup trucks currently listed for sale on Autotrader, which is always an exciting thing to see, because some people really, truly, seriously drive a lot. I mean … a lot. And these people are often driving pickups, because they’re hauling something, or driving from job site to job site, or delivering something, or whatever. So these are the six highest-mileage pickups currently listed on Autotrader — and while some trucks are listed with higher mileage, I often find that people mistake "60,000 miles" and type "600,000 miles," so this list only includes trucks with a VIN and mileage that can be verified using Carfax. With that in mind, time for the list.

f350-1.jpg

2001 Ford F-350 – 872,000 Miles

Although I intended to comprise this list solely of vehicles that had verifiable mileage numbers in Carfax, I made an exception for this truck. That’s because it has a claimed 872,000 miles, and the seller explains why: "I used to deliver camping trailers all over the USA. I have stopped doing that." Indeed, this truck probably does have 872,000 miles, if it was used to bring camping trailers across the country — and while those are 872,000 hard miles, the seller notes he’s spent a lot on the truck over the years. This F-350 is currently offered in Independence, Kansas, for $7,000.

-Advertisement-
silverado.jpg

1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 – 585,000 Miles

Shockingly, the next-highest-mileage truck on our list isn’t a "heavy-duty" pickup, as you might expect, but rather a light-duty 1999 Silverado 1500. This truck, finished in gold with a camper shell, is offered by American Auto in Kearney, Nebraska, and it’s traveled an amazing 585,000 miles from new. According to the Carfax report, the high-mileage owner bought it used in 2002 with just 73,000 miles, and then started racking them up, putting on 20,000 miles in the first 5 months of ownership and going from there. Now it can be yours for $4,988.

sierra.jpg

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD – 524,000 Miles

This 2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD is gold, with aftermarket wheels and cloth seats that have held up surprisingly well to lots of miles — lots and lots of miles. Indeed, this is one of the few trucks currently listed for sale on Autotrader that has covered more than 500,000 miles, with the listing noting that the current mileage is just over 524,000. The truck is offered by Mills Motors in Centralia, Washington, and it’s listed for $13,998.

tacoma.jpg

2011 Toyota Tacoma – 489,000 Miles

I was so convinced that this Toyota Tacoma hadn’t done 489,000 miles that I thought there must’ve been an error in the odometer photo — but it’s true. This Tacoma is just a short ways from hitting the 500,000 mark. That’s truly impressive in any vehicle, but especially unusual in a compact truck, as it’s usually the full-size, heavy-duty diesel pickups that rack up these miles. This truck, which uses the Tacoma’s base-level 4-cylinder engine, is offered by Chadwick Auto Wholesale in Colton, California, east of Los Angeles, where it’s listed for $8,950.

towtrk.jpg

2001 GMC Sierra Tow Truck – 481,000 Miles

This truck has certainly had quite a life. It’s a 2001 GMC Sierra tow truck, and it’s currently listed by AR Motorsports near Atlanta with 481,000 miles on the odometer. That’s a huge figure, and it’s especially big when you consider this truck has likely spent an inordinate amount of that time pulling other vehicles around — meaning this truck has had a long life of work. If you’re ready to see if it can handle even more, it’s available for just $5,000.

f450-2.jpg

2013 Ford F-450 Stripped Chassis – 461,000 Miles

This is the most impressive vehicle on this list, to me, because it’s only a 5-year-old truck — and it’s already racked up 461,000 miles. Offered by Don Meyer Ford in Greensburg, Indiana, this F-450 is a Lariat model, with a luxurious interior — but it has a stripped chassis in back for serious towing. The Carfax report is quite a sight to behold, as it shows the truck was sold new on September 13, 2014 — with 20,000 miles added within 30 days. From there, it was off to the races, with an entry from June 2015 — just 9 months after the truck was purchased — showing 125,000 miles. Now the truck can be yours for $19,988.

MORE FROM OVERSTEER:
Video | Here’s Why the Original Tesla Roadster Was a Total Failure
Video | Here’s Why the Pagani Huayra Is Worth $3 Million
Video | Which Cars Do Doug DeMuro and Tyler Hoover Want to Own the Most?

Previous articleThe E21: The Runt of the BMW 3 Series
Next article2019 Jaguar F-TYPE: New Car Review

-Advertisement-
Related Inventory
f7c70bf1a6714b12888385680d1b16cb.jpg

Used 2001 Ford F350 2WD SuperCab DRW Super Duty
$13,999
585cc71ff8d34dee97e5d799126a2f27.jpg

Used 2001 Ford F350 2WD Crew Cab DRW Super Duty
$15,500
Most Popular Articles

• Informative
Reactions: Luke42 and CyberGus
There have been a few documented million mile Tundras. Here is a story about the first. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/project-trucks/1705-million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/project-trucks/1705-million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down
years ago when I frequented “overseas” it was common to drive a Toyota Land Cruiser (and Helix) with >500km that had been entirely driven off road in severe conditions.

yes I think EVs will last a long time. I think the biggest limiting factor will be: computers and wiring. As for the CT I have some concerns over the unibody as unibody vehicles tend to not be as robust to taking a beating as body on frame.

We’re basically looking at a disposable vehicle. The longevity specs are impressive indeed - but when you’re facing major repairs (battery, motors, bearings) on this thing, finding replacement parts will probably be a big problem.

Considering TCO will be ½-1/4 that of gas alternatives, you’ll have saved so much, and replacement parts so sparse, you’ll just buy a new one. Much like today’s sealed phones & computers.

Tesla has kept our nearly 8 year old car feeling new. On our second motor, revised air suspension, new door handles and firmware constantly upgraded. Model S was a ground breaking car for Tesla, they have done well by us IMHO. I don't see Model S as disposable, and the new computer (aka MCU2) upgrade and previous to that the 3g -> 4g upgrade is something few other car makers would do for their older fleet, but Tesla does.

Whereas my newer Smart Electric EV has been dropped completely by Daimler and I can't even get an upgrade to fix fundamental infotainment issues and I'm still in warranty. Love my Smart, but it's getting traded for Cybertruck. Likely to keep our Model S as long as it can run and drive.

Reactions: CyberGus
As for the CT I have some concerns over the unibody as unibody vehicles tend to not be as robust to taking a beating as body on frame.

I do a fair amount of extreme off roading. The Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are unibody and typically don't have issues until you get pretty hard core. At that level though there are plenty of other body on frame vehicles including my old CJ that need beefed up to handle the stresses involved as well. The Cybertruck may very well take more punishment than your typical body on frame, though we will have to wait and see to find out for sure.

I do a fair amount of extreme off roading. The Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are unibody and typically don't have issues until you get pretty hard core. At that level though there are plenty of other body on frame vehicles including my old CJ that need beefed up to handle the stresses involved as well. The Cybertruck may very well take more punishment than your typical body on frame, though we will have to wait and see to find out for sure.
My brother has a GC trailhawk, 4 years old and it creeks and squeaks pretty bad under strong articulation Situations, especially when he has a wheel off the ground (which is often). That said he tows an rPod and I think they towing has been the hardest on it.

I own and drive a 2014 P85D. In the last eight months it has gotten front half shafts, front motor, main battery, charging port and MCU. All under warranty or ESA (thankfully). Except for the half shafts, the failures left the car inoperable. If I had been paying, the repairs would have exceeded the value of the vehicle and perhaps even the purchase of a model 3.

Not drinking the koolaid. Tesla has a ways to go to prove their long term durability. And instead of stepping up, they mostly just rewrite the warranty documents to shorten coverage or give them a way to disavow coverage.

building throw away cars is not “green”. Quite the opposite. Wastes a significant amount of energy.

We’ve been looking a buying a second Tesla - likely an X or Y but maybe a CT but harder and harder as service gets worse and my 2014 shows more and more issues. (P.S. it’s fairly low mileage - under 10k/yr.)

In the last eight months it has gotten front half shafts, front motor, main battery, charging port and MCU...Tesla has a ways to go to prove their long term durability

Anecdotal but indeed, bad story.

My experience is different, 2013 Model S, out of warranty, not a squeak or rattle, no issues since Oct 2018 (garage door opener), ordered Cybertruck and looking forward to owning another Tesla.

I have participated in this survey, it shows significant reliability issues with the Model S up to 2018, where the survey stops
Tesla Model S Reliability by Model Generation | TrueDelta

Larger survey:
Tesla Model 3 and Model S Regain a Consumer Reports Recommendation

For the Model S, owners reported fewer problems with paint and trim quality—issues that have plagued it in the past. Owners also reported fewer problems with power equipment, such as cruise control, cameras, and warning lights.

My 2014 S P85 has been closer to @David.85D that @SmartElectric
Under 100k and multiple suspension issues, charger, port, pack heater, TPMS module, all pads and rotors.
Need to get it in for a rearend clunk and suspension air leak. I have only owned it since 65k. I don't know what was done before other than door handles which i knew to specifically ask about.
Had a map SD corruption issue they remoted in and fixed.

I love the car, but those pitching 500k plus as going to be routine are delusional. Sure I agree the motor and gearbox should last longer than an engine and transmission but there is a lot more to a vehicle than those two items and as all that begins to fail people just give up and scrap cars.

As someone who used to like to go to the junkyard, a lot of vehicles there have good engines and transmissions. Those pretending those items dying are the only reason to scrap a vehicle are wrong.