Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberTruck may be classified as Medium Duty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get this news story. It's being pitched like "CyberTruck won't compete with F-150."

What am I missing? You get more CyberTruck, for less money than a Ford F-150. Why the heck won't they compete in the market?? It's not like you have to search out a GMC dealer or anything...
Seriously I don’t think it will compete with a f150 or ram or Silverado. It will be in its own class and will appeal mostly to people who are not truck loyalists. I’ll give you an example. My brother who makes plenty of money to buy almost any vehicle under let’s say ~$150k and lives in an urban big city and almost never tows or used the bed. His first car a Chevy s10, 2nd car a Silverado, since then he had owned 6 more Silverado 1500’s gets a new one every 4-5 years, his wife has owned 3 Tahoe’s and on her 4th suburban. Kids first cars you guessed it Silverado 1500 or Colorado. No way he will ever buy anything but a Chevy truck. I also knew a guy when we lived in TN who’s dad didn’t speak to him for years because he bought a Ram and they were “Ford people”.

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle
View attachment 487931

I do. I pull my FJ40 on an 18 foot car hauler. To the Black Hills and back last year 11.4 mpg. I've done this trip twice now with the new truck and it has been very consistent. Missing from tmy pic is my KLR650 and welder/tools but you get the idea.
Awesome set up! Arctic Fox and a fj40! I just told him he needs to get a Ford, he said wishes he did. I showed him this he said the dually camper crowd were going to the Rams a few years ago because they had a higher GWVR than ford or GM, but he regrets it as has had all kinds of problems out of his 2016 Ram.

I have a J80 and a 200 series.

Reactions: ricohman
View attachment 487931

I do. I pull my FJ40 on an 18 foot car hauler. To the Black Hills and back last year 11.4 mpg. I've done this trip twice now with the new truck and it has been very consistent. Missing from my pic is my KLR650 and welder/tools but you get the idea.

Well with the cybertruck, use that for the trails as well and that will save you from taking the jeep. Haha

Reactions: coleAK
Seriously I don’t think it will compete with a f150 or ram or Silverado. It will be in its own class and will appeal mostly to people who are not truck loyalists. I’ll give you an example. My brother who makes plenty of money to buy almost any vehicle under let’s say ~$150k and lives in an urban big city and almost never tows or used the bed. His first car a Chevy s10, 2nd car a Silverado, since then he had owned 6 more Silverado 1500’s gets a new one every 4-5 years, his wife has owned 3 Tahoe’s and on her 4th suburban. Kids first cars you guessed it Silverado 1500 or Colorado. No way he will ever buy anything but a Chevy truck. I also knew a guy when we lived in TN who’s dad didn’t speak to him for years because he bought a Ram and they were “Ford people”.

I think you (and Ford/chevy) will have quite a surprise in a few years.

Truck tent
501eb0f9-b9df-449e-ad4d-88a960a96c9d_1.a4da957c6325f99e6439196c01064b6c.jpeg

Reactions: coleAK
@ ColeAK
Just so I'm on the same page, are you getting CT? If so did you want to still have a pickup camper on it?
I have a reservation for the 3 motor. I probably won’t get one if it has Air suspension. If I do get one I’ll tow my camper with it from the get go and down the road see if anyone makes a truck topper that works with it. We have a model 3 that is awesome and I also have a reservation on a Rivian RS1.

I have a reservation for the 3 motor. I probably won’t get one if it has Air suspension. If I do get one I’ll tow my camper with it from the get go and down the road see if anyone makes a truck topper that works with it. We have a model 3 that is awesome and I also have a reservation on a Rivian RS1.

Yep ok. Two dual CT and a tri in two different countries atm. What don't you like about air suspension? I have 16ton trucks, Discos, landcruisers and they are all fine so far. Road corrigations make them fatigue, but nothing a bag swap won't fix.

I'm also thinking they can't use the MX setup like they did on the prototype as its never going to support the load or the ride height range. Plus this will have active damping. "If" they do it right it should be just as good as the current disco air.

You can't do much about the ramp over/wheelbase except make it shorter. But I'm expecting a very fine thottle/torque response for offroading. I hope theres a limited slip diff at least on the DMs.

Yep ok. Two dual CT and a tri in two different countries atm. What don't you like about air suspension? I have 16ton trucks, Discos, landcruisers and they are all fine so far. Road corrigations make them fatigue, but nothing a bag swap won't fix.

I'm also thinking they can't use the MX setup like they did on the prototype as its never going to support the load or the ride height range. Plus this will have active damping. "If" they do it right it should be just as good as the current disco air.

You can't do much about the ramp over/wheelbase except make it shorter. But I'm expecting a very fine thottle/torque response for offroading. I hope theres a limited slip diff at least on the DMs.
Air suspension is fine and good on road cars. I just see too many short comings off road and in the cold. The Bosch system that mB/Jeep/Tesla uses: off road when you raise them up they get very firm and you lose almost all travel and articulation. The system in the LR3 was better but Rover went to the Bosch in the new disco for better reliability. My brother has a Grand Cherokee trailhawk, it drives amazing on road but off road it’s a mess. Spends considerable amount of time with a wheel off the ground when raised up, He dosnt use the “high”’setting unless crossing water the increased clearance isn’t worth the articulation loss. it “pogos”’off the bump stops and feels like you are going to roll. Has random failures when it freezes from the inside <0F. He has a buddy that is a Jeep guy and finally pulled the air for “Kings and springs” in his trailhawk. Also off road it’s prone to leaks and compressor failures. Look at how land cruisers (helix) and patrols are by far the vehicle of choice in the harshest Environments around the globe.

As for the adjustable height AHC in the 100 and 200 series toyota/Lexus land cruisers. I have a 200 with AHC, it’s not air it’s hydraulic with springs. It does not have the shortcomings of air, it actually gets softer with more articulation when raised, it’s extremely robust they even use it on the armored LCs used by the UN. Compared to thy brothers GC trailhawk My 200 has worse angles (Approach, departure, brake over) it’s longer, wider and heavier but off road it is much more cape able, relaxed and easy. He bounces along teetering on 2-3 wheels and my rig is smooth as butter. I hope Tesla goes with a similar hydraulic system to Toyota and ditches the air.

finally, Elon should be taking the CT prototype to Moab not pimping around Beverly Hills.

And yes the thought of an EV drivetrain is awesome: instant torque, throttle mapping, ... I also think that the range off road will be very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehninger1212
I can only hope they do some sort of ACTUAL off road testing, the worst thing that can happen is they release the truck and its awful off pavement. It is going to be picked and prodded like no other off road vehicle.
I agree. Tesla could learn a lot from Porsche with the first Cayenne. Porsche knew it would be picked apart and discredited as an SUV. But they did extensive testing off road, ran off road endurance races heck it came with an optional center and rear diff lock. As smart as Elon is however I think he does a whole lot of looking through blinders and seeing only his own world. As much as we love our model 3 let’s face it it was designed for southern CA. Stupid 20” summer only tire as the only choice on the performance, rocker panels set up to get blasted by rocks, almost no interior lighting, no insulation from the cold in the roof, rear bias AWD, ...

My concern for the truck is that they will drive it all around LA and up the coast to Santa Barbara. Even within a relatively short distance from SoCal He should have people towing a camper, off roading in Moab, hunting birds and mule deer in the eastern Sierra, camping and fishing the free range of the walker rivers, shadowing the farmers in the Central Valley, and snow testing around the East gates to Yosemite and mammoth.

heck send me one up to AK I’ll beat the crap out of it and run it through the wringer.