TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cybertruck plaid

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Driving Dynamics' started by Maitri982, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Maitri982

Maitri982 Member

Since the model s in 2020 will support bigger battery and trimotor, I suspect that the same powertrain/battery of the plaid will be used for the cybertruck. Agree/disagree?

2. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

No, the powertrain will certainly be different. Just how different, no one knows. We will have to wait until it's released to find out.

3. Tslacg

Tslacg Member

I dont think plaid mode will be given to the Cybertruck. But tri motor is close.

4. drcarric2650

drcarric2650 Member

Hard to say, Tesla can probably save a bit of money by using the same dual motor setup for all three, and just down grade the Cybertruck motors with software. This has an earnings advantage of allowing owners to upgrade the power for $3K to 5K. It isn't likely to compete with the S or roadster.

5. Cyber_Dav

Cyber_Dav Member

Don't you mean $10,000 to $20,000? That's the current "upgrade" intervals. Why would after-sales price be less?

6. drcarric2650

drcarric2650 Member

#6 drcarric2650, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Since they were talking about the tri motor, it's a 70K truck with 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds, what performance increase do you think they can do to justify a 10K to 20K charge?

Now if you think they will have a separate Plaid model, then I still don't think they would be able to improve the performance enough to justify the $20K price that you suggest.

7. Cyber_Dav

Cyber_Dav Member

I'm talking about what is currently available.

"Single" motor = 39k. "Dual" = 49k. Tri is 69k. That's 10k for single to dual, or 20k dual to tri.

That is all there is in the way of available OTA upgrades if they build them all the same and software control what you get.

clarification: I'm not responding to previous posts, I'm responding to yours.

8. drcarric2650

drcarric2650 Member

9. drcarric2650

drcarric2650 Member

So now that I've clarified, is there still an issue?

10. MagnusMako

MagnusMako Member

#10 MagnusMako, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like x 3
  11. dazedNconfuzed

You missed the important (to me) tweet before & leading to it.

Me: "Tesla is about to introduce an electric pickup. Can I get one?" (In the interest of domestic openness and tranquility, of course.)
    Her: "If it can pull whatever camping trailer I want, yes."
    [Cybertruck announced]
    Me: [orders tri-motor CT, being able to pull whatever camper she wants] (I was going to order anyway, of course.)
    Me: "Hey look, Tesla introduced their electric pickup."
    Her: "OMG that's ugly."
    Me: [no comment]
    Elon, tweets later: "You may return the vehicle for a full refund in the unlikely event that it causes domestic discord"

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. Tslacg

Tslacg Member

Here's a post that didn't age well :/

• Funny x 2
  13. themorey

themorey Member

I would guess that a plaid CT is synonymous with the tri motor version. A plaid S has 3 motors, larger battery and greater battery cooling, which all lead to greater performance. That sounds like tri motor CT to me.

14. dazedNconfuzed

What’s the origin of the “plaid” term? Can’t seem to get my head around it.

15. themorey

themorey Member

[​IMG]

Spaceballs reference to faster than Ludicrous speed. Previous Tesla performance package was Ludicrous mode. The next one is Plaid.

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1