Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck production likely delayed....Post your best guess of WHEN for the record!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not while making it compliant with pedestrian safety regulations... bullet proof stainless steel with sharp corners isn't i
not while making it compliant with pedestrian safety regulations... bullet proof stainless steel with sharp corners isn't it
Can you show me where the Cybertruck's angles and resistance to bullets make it illegal to be driven on US streets, like it is here in Manhattan?

Attachments

• tesla_cybertruck_in_nyc.jpg
    tesla_cybertruck_in_nyc.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 108
Can you show me where the Cybertruck's angles and resistance to bullets make it illegal to be driven on US streets, like it is here in Manhattan?

I don’t know….. but I suppose CT owners should be ready to get shot at…. You know, since there are a lot of crazy people who will want to test out Elon’s Crazy claim that it’s bullet proof… hope you have good Life insurance

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
The issue with the 4680 cells is still not sorted out.

I'm guessing fall 2022, but if the 4680 production issues don't get squared, that may slip and they may have to do some serious rethinking about how to make a truck. Right now all the assumptions are based around that.

Well, now we have a clearer answer. "Volume Production" not expected until "LATE 2023". They might get a few hand-built trucks out the door, but actual production is OVER TWO YEARS AWAY! Wow.

FROM ARTICLE: "Now, it appears the Cybertruck will be losing its big advantage in the EV truck war: not range, not styling, not tech, but time. According to Electrek, during a recent call with Tesla employees, CEO Elon Musk said he doesn’t expect Cybertruck production to start until “late 2022,” and doesn’t expect “volume production” (that is, regular production people expect from consumer vehicles) until “late 2023.” This comes after an original launch date of late 2021. I’m glad I didn’t hold my breath."

It will be worth the wait - I'm tired of really cool vehicles being shown at the car shows and then they come out with something so boring. If they made the electric car from Minority Report, I would buy it in an instant. I am not interested in boring pickup trucks. I really, really want the futuristic Cybertruck. The delay just means that I might be able to save enough money to pay cash for it. I have learned my lesson - if I had bought Tesla stock instead of a used 2014 Tesla Model S 85, I would have been able to purchase the 2016 Tesla Model S P100DL for cash... I am now investing in penny stocks (RGBP looks quite promising).

Brent

• Funny
Reactions: Ogre
Well, now we have a clearer answer. "Volume Production" not expected until "LATE 2023". They might get a few hand-built trucks out the door, but actual production is OVER TWO YEARS AWAY! Wow.
The fact that it's going to take most of a year to get from production start to volume production shouldn't be too surprising. Most of Tesla's ramps have been slow.

The Model Y fooled us all into thinking Tesla had this bagged, but I think the fact that it's essentially a Model 3 variant made ramping it up a lot simpler. With the Cybertruck, everything is new and different again. Makes me wonder if Tesla should have done something a little less ambitious and crazy for the truck. Of course if it were less ambitious and crazy I probably wouldn't have been so interested in it.

If they do get the truck launched by late 2022, I should still get my truck sometime in 2023.

For some reason i feel like the "You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in 2022." from cybertruck order website does not specify when in 2022, so i'll remain optimistic on mid -> Q3 2022 production start.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

My feeling is we'll see it well before year end 2022, but I'm not pinning anything on it. As many have pointed out, it's entirely likely that it'll be delayed again.

Oh noes!

GM's Bolt beat Tesla's Model 3 to the market and was hailed as the Tesla-killer. I think M3 sells more in one month than Bolts sell yearly. ;)

Tesla's Model Y is going to outsell all of their other models combined, as Elon suggested when they launched it. Two brand new factories are on the verge of opening to produce MYs. I think MY has demonstrated that people will wait for Tesla's vehicles.

(BTW, GM is going to have to recall virtually every single Bolt they made. That recall is going to be kinda expensive too. It's not an OTA SW fix to add a beep when switching modes. Tesla-killer indeed!)

FROM ARTICLE: "Now, it appears the Cybertruck will be losing its big advantage in the EV truck war: not range, not styling, not tech, but time. According to Electrek, during a recent call with Tesla employees, CEO Elon Musk said he doesn’t expect Cybertruck production to start until “late 2022,” and doesn’t expect “volume production” (that is, regular production people expect from consumer vehicles) until “late 2023.” This comes after an original launch date of late 2021. I’m glad I didn’t hold my breath."

Eh.

”Volume Production” is 250,000 per year/ 5,000 per week or more. They aren’t going to be sitting on their hands getting to that scale. It’s likely 50,000-100,000 trucks will ship in the weeks between start of production and then.

I’m less worried about the ramp up and more worried about when production actually starts. We’ve seen the glass for the new trucks, now lets see the rest!