Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Showing It’s “Off Road” Toughness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Toughness"??? I hope that's sarcasm. :)

And such tiny tires, too. Looks strange.

Looks like it will come with a couple of wedge blocks to help you get up a curb….

644E304D-688E-47C8-8CF2-580A1084B5B9.jpeg

...? I wouldn't want to do anything that would harm one of only two prototype vehicles in existence that aren't complete builds, probably have unfinished sensitive electronics, where half the things aren't even fully bolted down because it's a flippin' prototype where various aspects are being changed daily. This makes perfect sense to me. You can't judge an end product by its prototype.

Reactions: doghousePVD
...? I wouldn't want to do anything that would harm one of only two prototype vehicles in existence that aren't complete builds, probably have unfinished sensitive electronics, where half the things aren't even fully bolted down because it's a flippin' prototype where various aspects are being changed daily. This makes perfect sense to me. You can't judge an end product by its prototype.
if Tesla only has 2 finished prototypes vehicle in their fleet at this stage .... then the end product is well over 1yr away... lol. Ford/ GM test dozens+ prototypes whenever they release a new truck generation

if Tesla only has 2 finished prototypes vehicle in their fleet at this stage .... then the end product is well over 1yr away... lol. Ford/ GM test dozens+ prototypes whenever they release a new truck generation

Ford will most likely have a 2nd gen Lightning running around at the end of the year and will reveal it next year, before Tesla delivers their first CT.

Ford will most likely have a 2nd gen Lightning running around at the end of the year and will reveal it next year, before Tesla delivers their first CT.
+ potentially an EV version of the Ranger as well

trucks are Fords bread-and-butter and they are pretty capable and good at engineering them. for a first stab at electric full size trucks the F150 Lightning is pretty good.

+ potentially an EV version of the Ranger as well

trucks are Fords bread-and-butter and they are pretty capable and good at engineering them. for a first stab at electric full size trucks the F150 Lightning is pretty good.
Hardware-wise perhaps (with the except of 20 or so with battery issues) but their software has a long way to go. Just watch a few videos about the difficulty of using navigation effectively when road tipping.

Hardware-wise perhaps (with the except of 20 or so with battery issues) but their software has a long way to go. Just watch a few videos about the difficulty of using navigation effectively when road tipping.

Luckily it has CarPlay with plenty of options for Navigation including Google Maps.

I for one am happy that the Lightning doesn’t solely rely on Software to be a great vehicle. Meaning, there is no need to constantly have a software update to fix driving enjoyment. Their App is lacking but they will get there with the 2nd gen.

Teslas hardware (MCU3) is certainly much faster and more responsive but it’s software/UI design still has areas for improvement.

The Ford is functional, and has been for years in other products. Really you typically only use the infotainment system for radio/audio, BT phone calls, occasional navigation, and occasional fiddling with car settings. As mentioned you have CarPlay/AA for other things which provides even more flexibility and options than Tesla does. Ford is also working on an Android Automotive infotainment that will replace Sync4 but it has been delayed a bit (originally was planned for 2023MY).

Gimmicky features like games and browser and Netflix and fart sounds and light shows etc are just distractions and don’t define a good or bad car.

None of the items you guys are mentioning are germane to my point. I've watched a ton of videos about folks taking their Lightnings (and Mach E's, for that matter) on road trips and determining charging stops is still very rudimentary and not well integrated into the UI. If you need to access Plugshare and ABRP while driving to determine the best charging stops, well, that's a show stopper for an 'average' consumer buying an EV for the first time. Yes, they are depending on a non-OEM charging network, and I'm not even referencing the issues surrounding availability/reliability at some third-party chargers. I'm certainly not saying that the Tesla UI is perfect. But integration of charging is certainly better than others.

None of the items you guys are mentioning are germane to my point. I've watched a ton of videos about folks taking their Lightnings (and Mach E's, for that matter) on road trips and determining charging stops is still very rudimentary and not well integrated into the UI. If you need to access Plugshare and ABRP while driving to determine the best charging stops, well, that's a show stopper for an 'average' consumer buying an EV for the first time. Yes, they are depending on a non-OEM charging network, and I'm not even referencing the issues surrounding availability/reliability at some third-party chargers. I'm certainly not saying that the Tesla UI is perfect. But integration of charging is certainly better than others.

ABRP App is available on Apple Car play and has worked flawlessly on road trips.

Now with Tesla opening up the SC network it’s even better.

Please note that anything on You Tube is for clicks and clicks only. It’s not real life….. anyone of them could have downloaded ABRP and opened it up on the infotainment screen. If the Ford solely relied on the OEM Nav then you would have a point, but it doesn’t.

ABRP App is available on Apple Car play and has worked flawlessly on road trips.

Please note that anything on You Tube is for clicks and clicks only. It’s not real life….. any one of them could have downloaded ABRP and opened it up on the infotainment screen. If the Ford solely relied on the OEM Nav then you would have a point, but it doesn’t.
Yes this is certainly one area where Tesla is much better integrated than some others. But CarPlay/AA gives integrated options where the OEM system may be deficient, which is not possible with Tesla.

Plus with eventual Android Automotive OS it will have native google maps navigation with charger routing like Polestar.

But truthfully most owners are not constantly road tripping. While charger routing should be well integrated into navigation, it’s not the deal breaker people make it out to be. For the couple times a year people need it, some extra pre-planning with 3rd party apps is not the end of the world.

Please note that anything on You Tube is for clicks and clicks only. It’s not real life….. anyone of them could have downloaded ABRP and opened it up on the infotainment screen. If the Ford solely relied on the OEM Nav then you would have a point, but it doesn’t.
The SC network is open in a tiny part of the country, I purchased a Lightning and did 6000 miles in 3 months. Charging on the road is a mess still in certain areas, ABRP cannot fix EA issues and in a lot of cases that's the only option.

Plenty of other issues where the lighting was far behind Tesla, no heat pump being another rough one, the cabin is large and sucks a lot of juice to warm it up.

The SC network is open in a tiny part of the country, I purchased a Lightning and did 6000 miles in 3 months. Charging on the road is a mess still in certain areas, ABRP cannot fix EA issues and in a lot of cases that's the only option.

Plenty of other issues where the lighting was far behind Tesla, no heat pump being another rough one, the cabin is large and sucks a lot of juice to warm it up.

This is the first time I’ve heard anyone complain about the cabin size being an issue. As a Lightning owner with 23k miles in 8 months I disagree that it sucks up a lot of juice, no more than what my Model 3 used to suck up.

Tesla has already fixed the charging issues, whether a SC with the Magic Doc is close to you or not is a separate issue. The Fact is Tesla with CCS will spread like a wildfire, it’s just a matter of time.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
This is the first time I’ve heard anyone complain about the cabin size being an issue. As a Lightning owner with 23k miles in 8 months I disagree that it sucks up a lot of juice, no more than what my Model 3 used to suck up.

Tesla has already fixed the charging issues, whether a SC with the Magic Doc is close to you or not is a separate issue. The Fact is Tesla with CCS will spread like a wildfire, it’s just a matter of time.
The cabin size is great, warming it can eat up a decent amount of juice. The magic doc is only in 2 very small spots on the map. The fact is, if you have to road trip now you almost certainly have to deal with EA. I was doing it for work and the unreliable charging didn't work for me. I've close to 300k miles in Tesla's since 2012 and currently especially in my neck of the woods no other EV will work out if you're traveling a lot. I agree it's a matter of time I just couldn't wait. Sold the lightning for 3k less than sticker so I got out lucky.

The cabin size is great, warming it can eat up a decent amount of juice. The magic doc is only in 2 very small spots on the map. The fact is, if you have to road trip now you almost certainly have to deal with EA. I was doing it for work and the unreliable charging didn't work for me. I've close to 300k miles in Tesla's since 2012 and currently especially in my neck of the woods no other EV will work out if you're traveling a lot. I agree it's a matter of time I just couldn't wait. Sold the lightning for 3k less than sticker so I got out lucky.
Sounds like most of your issues are from third party fast charging, not so much the Lightning itself. Unfortunately all CCS cars are at the mercy of the charging networks (or lack thereof). No amount of good charger routing software can fix that.

As for heat pumps, Tesla only went all in on them in 2021 so it’s not like they’re decades ahead on that front. Rivian and Lucid still use resistive heating. I’m sure we’ll see more EVs adopt heat pumps as cars get into their facelifts and second generations.

One big advantage Tesla has is nimbleness in terms of changes in manufacturing. Other OEMs probably have outstanding contracts for X amount of heaters with their suppliers intended to last the production run of the vehicle, so they can’t just switch out on a dime without losing money.

Reactions: DanDi58