Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Site states now delay time frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I say "scrapped", I mean the current iteration as we know it. The longer it takes to go to market, the more "product creep" will set in. It doesn't mean it will end up that way, but again, they clearly aren't hitting production targets and with the CT 3 steps out of full scale production and the F150 Lightning, Rivian and others getting in on the truck game - there may be a pivot.

Personally, I don't feel the CT needs a pivot. It's groundbreaking, revolutionary and all of the other hyperbole you can throw at it. It's way ahead of its time in almost every respect, so it shouldn't be outdated, it simply needs to be released before it's considered vapor by potential CT buyers that jump ship to another manufacturer that actually produces trucks.

We'll see. 2023 has to be hit or they'll need to reassess.

Reactions: TessP100D
Really? because 2021 early/hand full o' deliveries, are out the window officially. So now those with early arrival pixi dust on them can shake it off & get in line w/ the rest of us 2022 folks that have years & years of history / reality / experience waiting for the actual dates under their belt.
;)
it's sort of a race . . . will it be the 150 lightning? ... or the Cyber truck that hits the market in volume 1st. Tesla w/ flash? or Ford with historical fit & finish that doesn't necessarily p/o the new owners. Potentially, Tesla could loose 100's of thousands of Sales - putzing around w/ the lower priced Y. Had it not been for the higher priced S & X coming to market first, would Tesla have ever gotten enough cash to move forward? Maybe that high priced vehicle priority mindset is passé.
I believe Ford will beat the CT to market by a mile and have hedged my deposit accordingly. The 4680 cells are not working out as hoped (Cancellation of MS Plaid+ confirms this) and those cells are essential to meet the range, power, and price specs that Tesla has put out for the CT. It will be 2023 before we see CTs rolling off the line or as someone else noted above, they may redesign the CT to work w/ existing tech.

Reactions: TessP100D
I don't need a truck, but I want a CT. So, as long as it shows up in the 12 months, I'm good. I'm glad to see that alternatives are out there to satisfy various needs and wants. I suspect that the overall demand for EV trucks (across all brands) will far outstrip production for the next couple years. I have a few friends who made a reservation for the Lightning. The more EVs, the better.

Reactions: Bridor
I believe Ford will beat the CT to market by a mile and have hedged my deposit accordingly. The 4680 cells are not working out as hoped (Cancellation of MS Plaid+ confirms this) and those cells are essential to meet the range, power, and price specs that Tesla has put out for the CT. It will be 2023 before we see CTs rolling off the line or as someone else noted above, they may redesign the CT to work w/ existing tech.
Ford is planning on producing 15,000 Lightnings in 2022. Unless you got your order in very early, you are likely not seeing your Lightning until 2023 or even 2024 since they are only planning to produce 50,000 in 2022.

Tesla is planning on producing 250,000 Cybertrucks per year once production starts.

Maybe this will be a tortoise and hair sort of thing. Or maybe Ford will push a few thousand out and get lapped by Tesla just a couple months into production. We'll see.

Ford is planning on producing 15,000 Lightnings in 2022. Unless you got your order in very early, you are likely not seeing your Lightning until 2023 or even 2024 since they are only planning to produce 50,000 in 2022.

Tesla is planning on producing 250,000 Cybertrucks per year once production starts.

Maybe this will be a tortoise and hair sort of thing. Or maybe Ford will push a few thousand out and get lapped by Tesla just a couple months into production. We'll see.

*Planning* they also *planned* to launch the Roadster / Semi / Plaid+ (all of which would require upgraded batteries to hit the promised range)

so far we don't even have production specs nor has there been large scale testing with pre-production vehicles. So the "250k CT per year" numbers might as well be sometime in 2024... especially as Tesla can't produce fast enough all the Model 3s and Ys to satisfy demand and likely prioritizes putting their batteries into high margin $54k Model Ys (requiring a smaller battery) versus dropping a 100kw+ battery into a $50k CT which stills needs a lot of R&D, testing, tooling and set up

I might get stuck with only considering the Cybertruck, as I insist on having at least a standard length bed, and I think the Cybertruck is the only one that might meet that requirement. The bed is the whole reason for me getting a truck. It needs to be a decent size. Of course, I'm still concerned about if the non-flat bed side will cause issues (will yard workers have issues dumping buckets of material into the back?), and there's still the whole yoke thing (I'm an anti-yoker).

Does anyone know what the Cybertruck bed size is? It's kind of hard to tell from pictures. Maybe it won't meet my standard either. Might just be stuck with gas for a few more decades.

I think I'm in a minority that still uses a truck as a truck. I'd give up back seats completely before taking a shorter than standard length bed.

Reactions: captanzuelo
*Planning* they also *planned* to launch the Roadster / Semi / Plaid+ (all of which would require upgraded batteries to hit the promised range)
Let me rephrase this then.

Musk has made it clear that they won't start production until they can produce the Cybertruck at scale. When exactly that is is a giant question mark. Once they start, they will be producing 1000s per week, not hundreds per week as Ford seems to be intending.

Tesla won't produce the Cybertruck in small numbers, it's not profitable. Ford is going to produce a small number of trucks, likely at a loss.

so far we don't even have production specs nor has there been large scale testing with pre-production vehicles. So the "250k CT per year" numbers might as well be sometime in 2024... especially as Tesla can't produce fast enough all the Model 3s and Ys to satisfy demand and likely prioritizes putting their batteries into high margin $54k Model Ys (requiring a smaller battery) versus dropping a 100kw+ battery into a $50k CT which stills needs a lot of R&D, testing, tooling and set up
Good points. Crazy Elon has been planning a lot of things. Heck, look how his ideas infested the Plaid.