Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck staying full size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-5-24_0-8-35.png
upload_2020-5-24_0-8-35.jpeg

Americans love their big, tough trucks and I was concerned that if Tesla made it much smaller then it might miss its market. Apparently Elon and Franz agreed.

Let's be real. The cybertruck is still going to miss the pickup market by a country mile. I'm not saying people won't buy them; they will (and I will). But it's not going to take pickup marketshare in a meaningful way, until the design is changed to better address the market.

Being in TX will be good for Tesla. They'll learn more about their market, and their TX employees will educate Californians about what middle-America pickup consumers want.

A friend that drove from California remarked that “we knew we crossed into Texas once we saw all the trucks on the road.”

At most drive-thrus around here, I’m so far below the window in my DeLorean that they can’t even see me lol

Frankly, it might as well stay the same size because it would have to be more than a little smaller to fit in your average US garage. Also, based on my neighbors, their garages are full of stuff (junk) and park outside and on the street anyway.

Let's be real. The cybertruck is still going to miss the pickup market by a country mile. I'm not saying people won't buy them; they will (and I will). But it's not going to take pickup marketshare in a meaningful way, until the design is changed to better address the market.

Being in TX will be good for Tesla. They'll learn more about their market, and their TX employees will educate Californians about what middle-America pickup consumers want.
With the upmost respect, I strongly disagree with you here. The design has already proven to be a nothing burger in respect to desireability and interest. In any market, but especially the truck market it is all about what it can do. When these things hit the road (assuming the specs prove to be what is claimed) it is my opinion that the Cybertruck is going to steal significant market share from the big three. The design will become nothing but a minor distraction compared to its functionality.

Time will tell of course. We are doing nothing but speculating at this point. Just remember, the interior of the Model 3 was supposed to keep it from taking any real market share either. We all know how that turned out.

Dan

Is that thing going to fit in a typical garage now?
Depends, you have to define what a "typical" garage is. Is it 18' deep? 20', 24'? These are all widely used dimensions in modern home construction. Will it fit in a typical home built 50 years ago? Probably not. The house we plan to build next year has a 24' X 24' garage with an 18' door. I'm not worried in the least. Another thing to keep in mind, is it really necessary to garage this thing? It's made of thick stainless steel so the elements are not the concern that it is with other vehicles. Something owners will have to decide for themselves but many of the concerns about leaving it outside are eliminated with the Cybertruck.

Dan

• Helpful
Reactions: insaneoctane
very happy with this.
From what I've observed of US garages, fewer than 10% actually use them for cars, most are filled with junk.
Of the few that actually put cars in there, they are just for cars. I don't think I have ever seen someone park a pickup in their garage.
It's a truck, its supposed to be on the driveway or field or something.

I think this is missing the point about the truck market just like observers ten years ago regarding electric sedans.
At that time the market was saying nobody wanted a premium fast electric sedan - now look where it is, with the old market leaders playing catchup. Tesla redefined the market and left the others behind.
Right now the market is saying people just want big fake manly trucks with a huge front grill and unneeded bulges and pointless "brush guard", Ford and GM right now still think it's just about having an electric powertrain to replace the ICE.

The last thing Tesla needs to do is redesign the Cybertruck to match the current market. They're aiming to change the market.

Depends, you have to define what a "typical" garage is. Is it 18' deep? 20', 24'? These are all widely used dimensions in modern home construction. Will it fit in a typical home built 50 years ago? Probably not. The house we plan to build next year has a 24' X 24' garage with an 18' door. I'm not worried in the least. Another thing to keep in mind, is it really necessary to garage this thing? It's made of thick stainless steel so the elements are not the concern that it is with other vehicles. Something owners will have to decide for themselves but many of the concerns about leaving it outside are eliminated with the Cybertruck.

Dan
Ok, so my question is which one of those garage sizes will that thing fit? :)