Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck: where does the rear glass go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
I keep looking at these two photos from the Tesla website, and I can’t figure out the rear glass. We see it with the bed open, obviously how you’d have it when hauling furniture to your kid’s new apartment. And we see it closed, which would clearly be preferable for efficiency when running empty, or with a smaller cargo, especially one you want to keep dry.

But how do you switch between configurations? That’s a huge piece of glass. And it has defrost lines, so it has electrical connections.
2FF7A521-73C0-422C-A33F-CAB9990577F2.jpeg
84834613-BD63-4126-89E8-0804EAD009D5.jpeg

Reactions: UCF3 and dhrivnak
I keep looking at these two photos from the Tesla website, and I can’t figure out the rear glass. We see it with the bed open, obviously how you’d have it when hauling furniture to your kid’s new apartment. And we see it closed, which would clearly be preferable for efficiency when running empty, or with a smaller cargo, especially one you want to keep dry.

But how do you switch between configurations? That’s a huge piece of glass. And it has defrost lines, so it has electrical connections.
View attachment 480059 View attachment 480060

I don’t know where it will go, but I’m pretty sure it is not glass and is segmented like a commercial roll up door.

Reactions: liuping
JRussell614
Solar Powered tonneau cover? Please tell me yes

Elon Musk Twitter
Will be an option to add solar power that generates 15 miles per day, possibly more. Would love this to be self-powered. Adding fold out solar wings would generate 30 to 40 miles per day. Avg miles per day in US is 30.

it's stored under the 2nd row seats when it rolls down between the cargo and cabin area.
Can the area be accessed easily and cleaned? If you have rain or snow or dirt on the cap, much of that stuff is going to roll up into the compartment. how do you get it out or dry it?
Also if you have snow or water on a cap like that and roll it up, much of it has nowhere else to go but into the bed and onto your contents. Not a desired result. Did they consider this?
The bed appears to have no drainage holes like every other truck. It's a solid box. How does it drain and dry itself?

If you watch the test ride videos, you can clearly see that it is a camera-fed LCD.
I was just wondering where all the cameras are. Probably the forward cams are in the mirror housing, similar to the 3, and maybe side cams in a pillar, also similar to the 3. But in the photos I don't see a rear camera, nor the equivalent of our repeater cameras. I'm sure they're there, I just haven't found Waldo yet.

Speaking of glass, what do you suppose the windshield wipers are like? Gotta be huge.

I also wonder what happens to that roll up panel when you roll it up covered in a) leaves b) dirt c) snow & ice d) sawdust....???
Both good questions. I supposed the slot where it rolls into the interior could have some sort of brush or squeegee on top to scrape stuff off. And it may be an RTFM thing: "Before retracting Cybercover into Cybertruck, be sure it is free of snow and debris."

These trucks are design mules. There's so much detail to be finalised and changes to be made between now and production it seems a little pointless discussing a lot of this stuff. But I'm sure that won't stop it from happening. :rolleyes:
Maybe, maybe not. I remember looking at the photos the day after the Model 3 reveal, just like today. I saw that Model 3 austere dash with no gauges, knobs or vents, and said, "well, it's just a prototype, and they haven't finished the dashboard yet." I was very wrong!

Reactions: dhrivnak
I was just wondering where all the cameras are. Probably the forward cams are in the mirror housing, similar to the 3, and maybe side cams in a pillar, also similar to the 3. But in the photos I don't see a rear camera, nor the equivalent of our repeater cameras. I'm sure they're there, I just haven't found Waldo yet.

In a couple photos, I’m pretty sure I see the fender repeaters - built in to the front wheel plastic arches at the rear.

I’m guessing the rear camera will be just above the license plate under the tailgate, but I haven’t seen it yet.

Can the area be accessed easily and cleaned? If you have rain or snow or dirt on the cap, much of that stuff is going to roll up into the compartment. how do you get it out or dry it?
Also if you have snow or water on a cap like that and roll it up, much of it has nowhere else to go but into the bed and onto your contents. Not a desired result. Did they consider this?
The bed appears to have no drainage holes like every other truck. It's a solid box. How does it drain and dry itself?

You blow everything away with the built-in CyberCompressor!