Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Will Feel Dated By the Time it Comes Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned many Trucks from regular cabs to extended cabs and crew cabs. Also riding as a passenger in many Trucks I did not own. Riding Bitch in the middle seat sucks for anyone sitting there and not much fun for the passengers on either side of them. This is a picture of three people sitting in the front of an F250. Three people in the rear seat will have a bit more room but not much more. Is the cab of the Cyber Truck wider than an F 250?

I think you missed the point of my question (using a stitched picture from autoblog is a second strike), and is probably why you feel justified in your statement.

My whole family (including teenagers and grandparents) can fit in the 7-seat model Y on a road-trip just fine. Does that help? Not everyone is 5'11' and 180lbs or more.

I have owned many Trucks from regular cabs to extended cabs and crew cabs. Also riding as a passenger in many Trucks I did not own. Riding Bitch in the middle seat sucks for anyone sitting there and not much fun for the passengers on either side of them. This is a picture of three people sitting in the front of an F250. Three people in the rear seat will have a bit more room but not much more. Is the cab of the Cyber Truck wider than an F 250?
Ford-F250-6-Passenger-SuperCrew-Riswick-lead-image.jpg

Ford-F250-SuperCrew-DT-front-middle-leg-room.jpg

The front middle seats is only for temporary use, and mainly for kids or small-mid sized adult.

This picture cherry picked 3 full grown men, and let the tallest man sit in front middle seat. Would any full size truck owners do this? Of course they do, but only for emergency! I never saw this situation, never! I believe you never too except ask your friends posing this piture.

Ha. I've been saying no exo for a year and getting poo poohed. If I'm wrong this post and others will be deleted.

Just saw the video. I respect Cory's expertise, and was one of those who poo-poo'd you, but I disagree with his assessment. Yes, the passenger cell does need the boron-steel safety cage, since that part of the truck would have the least amount of the steel "exoskeleton", but the presence of a front and rear casting doesn't mean the skin isn't bearing load (which is what would make it a non-exoskeleton). After all, something needs to transfer the load from the motors and tires into the skin.

I think Cory should've waited until he'd taken apart a cybertruck, before concluding that it's NOT an exoskeleton.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
This last video with Corry is indeed very different from what Sandy was explaining two years ago:

i think Tesla wasn't fully aware how good the castings would work over 2 yrs ago and things have changes in the meantime. I agree with the Munro guy that you won't be towing "heavy duty style" with an independent rear suspension versus a solid rear axle, Without towing 15k+ ... why would the CT need an exoskeleton?

Reactions: zecar
Just saw the video. I respect Cory's expertise, and was one of those who poo-poo'd you, but I disagree with his assessment. Yes, the passenger cell does need the boron-steel safety cage, since that part of the truck would have the least amount of the steel "exoskeleton", but the presence of a front and rear casting doesn't mean the skin isn't bearing load (which is what would make it a non-exoskeleton). After all, something needs to transfer the load from the motors and tires into the skin.

I think Cory should've waited until he'd taken apart a cybertruck, before concluding that it's NOT an exoskeleton.

Sheathing on a common wood frame building is a necessary structural component, but it is not an exoskeleton.

If the majority of load on the CT is carried on internal structure it doesn't have an exoskeleton by a conventional use of the term. It will be interesting to see if the exterior is still 3 mil. There may be various thicknesses.

Lighter gauge quarter panels would solve the head scratcher of how crush performance would work in an accident. Perhaps Elon getting protection from 9mm from 3mm door skin is good enough.

Anyways, what the have actually done will be very interesting. I'm sure it will be impressive.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
i think Tesla wasn't fully aware how good the castings would work over 2 yrs ago and things have changes in the meantime. I agree with the Munro guy that you won't be towing "heavy duty style" with an independent rear suspension versus a solid rear axle, Without towing 15k+ ... why would the CT need an exoskeleton?

Rivian is 11K towing rating, I think. But for frequent towing I don't like the trailer to be much heavier than the tow vehicle without a 5th wheel. I think the chance of CT being structurally designed for a 5th wheel is about 0.

We are all speculating at this point. But that clearly looks like a standard internal chassis upon which body panels will be hung like every other car that Tesla makes. I find Cory's comment about the bracket on which the fender attaches being too small to bear load to be instructive here. Bottom line is that if the vehicle can drive without its body panels then there is no exoskeleton. Considering they appear to be building it from the inside out (like a normal car) and not the other way around (as they would have to with an exoskeleton) also makes it pretty clear that the CT is just a giant MY.

That's not a negative statement BTW. The Model Y is a great car and is the current pinnacle of Tesla's production technology. Why not use what they've learned over the years to make the best CT that they can? While exoskeleton sounded cool when they started, going with something tried and true will make for a better vehicle and will allow them to deliver more vehicles sooner vs spending months and months trying to make something work that still may not pass crash tests is a fool's errand.

I would say "no one wants to ride in the middle seat" is generally true. However, that doesn't mean you wouldn't still want and appreciate having it.

It does, though.
Bench seating upfront would compromise comfort, ergonomics, and real estate for the driver / passenger that would otherwise get proper bucket seats with side bolsters, and center console full of useful storage space.

So yeah, I really home the stupid front bench idea is a thing of the past.
Diver ergonomics (and to lesser extend front passenger ones) is what appeals to the majority of the customers who are buying any vehicle, including CT.
Any compromises to driver's experience (supportive seat, quality materials, easy access to controls, etc, etc), would be neither appreciated nor wanted.

a

Reactions: coleAK
It does, though.
Bench seating upfront would compromise comfort, ergonomics, and real estate for the driver / passenger that would otherwise get proper bucket seats with side bolsters, and center console full of useful storage space.

So yeah, I really home the stupid front bench idea is a thing of the past.
Diver ergonomics (and to lesser extend front passenger ones) is what appeals to the majority of the customers who are buying any vehicle, including CT.
Any compromises to driver's experience (supportive seat, quality materials, easy access to controls, etc, etc), would be neither appreciated nor wanted.

a

Again, you're speaking for yourself and those who are like-minded, which very well could be a majority of truck buyers out there. Myself and a few others have a need for that middle bench seat! "We" might be a minority, but we exist and do NOT appreciate you imposing your viewpoint on everyone. If CT must be a 5-seater to simplify manufacturing and appeal to the majority, then so be it. Tesla will only miss out on a minority of sales. But if they can make a 6-seat version, then I'd be all over it!

Reactions: jebinc