Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck will have rear wheel steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The short turning radius was mentioned in at least one of the test rides at the unveiling so it shouldn't be needed for that. I think this is more for off-roading than daily driving. I wouldn't be surprised if it required enabling the feature within the screen settings while in park and would be speed limited while activated. Maybe it could also be used for street parking in a tight space?

Reactions: mark95476
The short turning radius was mentioned in at least one of the test rides at the unveiling so it shouldn't be needed for that. I think this is more for off-roading than daily driving. I wouldn't be surprised if it required enabling the feature within the screen settings while in park and would be speed limited while activated. Maybe it could also be used for street parking in a tight space?
This is a great point. My parking at work is in a really tight spot, and 4 wheel steering would help immensely

Reactions: mark95476
Yeah... why not make it an off-road option. Guessing several thousand doubloons not worth for driving down highways and city streets.
You should change your username... This is EXACTLY when it is worthwhile. And it will not be "several" thousand dollars. Get back to me in a year when it is released and feel free to make me eat crow if I am wrong.

SS

Having owned a few cars in the past with "4 wheel steering" I have to say I think it's more gimmick than anything else. I know this sounds tire, but truly - more things to break, and less strength here you need it - under the payload bed. I've had it fail and it was cheaper to lock the rear wheels in place with strut bars than to repair the messy hydraulics. I'm sure Tesla knows these things and has a "better mousetrap", but maybe I'll wait for Gen2. I hope it is optional!
With that said, Crab mode sure looks cool on a Hummer - not sure how that would translate to a CT.

And it will not be "several" thousand dollars. Get back to me in a year when it is released and feel free to make me eat crow if I am wrong.
When GM introduced "Quadrasteer" in the early 2000's for the Silverado/Sierra, it was a $7000 option originally. They had to continually lower the price to get people to buy it. It disappeared as an option a few years later.

I believe Tesla will be much smarter about this, but costing thousands is not without precedent.

When GM introduced "Quadrasteer" in the early 2000's for the Silverado/Sierra, it was a $7000 option originally. They had to continually lower the price to get people to buy it. It disappeared as an option a few years later.

I believe Tesla will be much smarter about this, but costing thousands is not without precedent.
Other than FSD, it is with Tesla. And this is 2021... I'm not going to call you guys FUD mongering but, without more proof, you're getting there...

SS

The vid Elon put up shows highway speed 4WS. The Honda Prelude used it in a similar way at one point.
There’s no mystery to it. It’s already equipped. Could be an option, but it’ll probs be standard to enhance driving dynamics on and off road.

The vid Elon put up shows highway speed 4WS. The Honda Prelude used it in a similar way at one point.
There’s no mystery to it. It’s already equipped. Could be an option, but it’ll probs be standard to enhance driving dynamics on and off road.

I remember the Prelude, came out with 4ws over thirty years ago. Also, the Porsche 911 a few years ago, had a pretty smart set up. At lower speeds, the rear tires would turn in the opposite direction as the front(like the prelude). But at high speeds, they would turn in the same direction. But all those set ups were on traditional gas engine cars with drive shafts. With multiple electric motors, there is a whole new world of possibilities for 4ws.