Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck will have rear wheel steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a Mazda RX7 that had a pseudo rear wheel steering. Never had a problem with that. However, wasn't hauling or pulling heavy loads with my RX. I imagine, if it does come on the CT it will be standard and only enabled if you select Enable on the Driver control screen.

I think Elon realizes they need to keep up with the competition. How much engineering and hardware is necessary will probably determine the cost. I can envision it being standard on the Tri-motor and an option on the single and dual motor. Could be hardware on every CT to keep the assembly line smooth and software enabled. Hope so. Add a hefty option to the Tri-motor price tag and we could be bumping up against the $10,000 proposed tax credit.

Never mind the 4ws, I still think the truck is ugly AF. Why did they design the truck to look like the visualization on my screen?
It's a function over form thing.
@Cosmacelf made a thread on it in which I think he explained it well and of course discussion followed.

Reactions: Ogre and Cosmacelf
I went by the Tesla showroom last night and they still had the usual 3 or 4 cars. I wasn't sure if the Rivian dealer was even open. I was on my bike and just rode by it.
Rivian doesn't seem to be producing many trucks at all. Their September production start date was pretty much a ceremonial one to help bump their IPO.

Rivian doesn't seem to be producing many trucks at all. Their September production start date was pretty much a ceremonial one to help bump their IPO.
It sounds like Amazon is taking priority over consumers with the Rivian delivery trucks being delivered before the consumer trucks. I guess they have to appease the masters first, eh? Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Reactions: Ogre and AquaY
It sounds like Amazon is taking priority over consumers with the Rivian delivery trucks being delivered before the consumer trucks. I guess they have to appease the masters first, eh? Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
I heard the same. In any case, not many/ (maybe none?) R1T going out the door.

It’s entirely possible the R1T is not profitable for them to produce yet. $160/ kWh puts battery costs alone at over $20k.

If Tesla’s battery day estimates were correct, the Cybertruck will have a massive cost advantage over the Rivian.

The thing that concerns me is the S & X still have a shuddering issue from the front half shaft design with the higher suspension setting and damage over time/use.
This has been an issue since AWD was introduced and is still not fixed with many revisions...to the point where they aren't fixing cars anymore as the problem returns.

I really hope they have learned from it and then that also introducing rear steering won't add another wrench that they can't overcome.

Reactions: Ogre
I’m hoping the rear wheel steering will be on a beefy system as most owners like myself would like to try the Rally mode to drive on Baja style dunes and rough terrain. Just curious if this would hold up in driving under those conditions or will this just be a show piece vehicle?