Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reckon if Tesla is serious about selling a pickup truck in Europe they will go ahead with a smaller version of the Cybertruck with Berlin producing them. I believe Elon at one point mentioned something about a Wolverine project but no news on that front.
I highly doubt that Cybertruck as it is will be sold outside the US.

I reckon if Tesla is serious about selling a pickup truck in Europe they will go ahead with a smaller version of the Cybertruck with Berlin producing them. I believe Elon at one point mentioned something about a Wolverine project but no news on that front.
I highly doubt that Cybertruck as it is will be sold outside the US.

I'd be perfectly fine with a smaller version more suited to our roads. Just hoping it doesn't lose any of the styling that makes it stand out whilst making it road legal. E.g. adding wing mirrors (assuming the cameras aren't considered an acceptable substitute) and any other structural modifications required to meet UK safety regulations.

I think we are quite a few years away from a UK Wolverine Cybertruck. I think Berlin and China are going to be fully occupied churning out Model Y's for the foreseeable future. And then there is the £25k Tesla to produce. The Pick Up Truck market in the US is huge but much smaller over here. I ordered one to lock in the FSD price for a fully refundable £100. By the time it arrives here we may "possibly" have the Tesla Autonomous Fleet online and people will buy them to add to that.

I think we are quite a few years away from a UK Wolverine Cybertruck. I think Berlin and China are going to be fully occupied churning out Model Y's for the foreseeable future. And then there is the £25k Tesla to produce. The Pick Up Truck market in the US is huge but much smaller over here. I ordered one to lock in the FSD price for a fully refundable £100. By the time it arrives here we may "possibly" have the Tesla Autonomous Fleet online and people will buy them to add to that.
I will have to agree with you on the timeline for a Wolverine truck. My only reservation would be about the 25k Tesla. I cant see this happening for the next 4-5 years. All Tesla factories will be in full capacity with the current models and the Cybertruck/Semi for the states market (these two especially will absorb a good chunk of battery production). Also all the existing models have a good profit margin while the 25k model unless is heavily underspecced would probably break even in the best case. So we may see a Wolverine ahead of it. All this is pure speculation though and they may even not push it ahead (which would be a shame :p )

Reactions: AnthonyLR
A £25k Tesla depends on two things: another step change in battery cost and the manufacturing capacity. VW has a similar car planned. I'd call them "Ambitions" at this point.

One video I watched claims that Tesla is achieving a gross margin on sales of 27% with the new model Y, which is massive in the car world. Another video claimed an internal source in VAG said that it costs Tesla 30% less to produce the Y in Berlin than VW's production of the ID 5 at the new Dresden facility. If both claims are true then VAG and all the others have a problem.

BUT it all suggests that Tesla will start a new factory in Europe and that may facilitate the Wolverine.

A £25k Tesla depends on two things: another step change in battery cost and the manufacturing capacity. VW has a similar car planned. I'd call them "Ambitions" at this point.

One video I watched claims that Tesla is achieving a gross margin on sales of 27% with the new model Y, which is massive in the car world. Another video claimed an internal source in VAG said that it costs Tesla 30% less to produce the Y in Berlin than VW's production of the ID 5 at the new Dresden facility. If both claims are true then VAG and all the others have a problem.

BUT it all suggests that Tesla will start a new factory in Europe and that may facilitate the Wolverine.
I am not surprised at all by the problems that the 'traditional' car manufacturers are facing with the transition to electric cars. Their business model was built on minimal margins from car sales and massive profits from parts and service.
Tesla is quite the opposite. Big initial margins and less dependent on parts and service.
Also Tesla was born electric so they don't have to invest in the electric transition while maintaining a dying ICE part of the business.
I believe during the next 10-15 years we will witness seismic events in the car industry. I will not be surprised at all if a lot of the current car manufacturers merge/disappear.

I am not surprised at all by the problems that the 'traditional' car manufacturers are facing with the transition to electric cars. Their business model was built on minimal margins from car sales and massive profits from parts and service.
Tesla is quite the opposite. Big initial margins and less dependent on parts and service.
Also Tesla was born electric so they don't have to invest in the electric transition while maintaining a dying ICE part of the business.
I believe during the next 10-15 years we will witness seismic events in the car industry. I will not be surprised at all if a lot of the current car manufacturers merge/disappear.
10-15 years? I think, like Kodak when digital cameras arrived, they will start disappearing quicker than that. They won’t be able to refinance their debt.