Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the big difference between van and a truck is where the ICE is located: in front of (truck), or under (van), the driver. I guess evolution, accounting for safety crumple zones and V-engine ICE has caused the distinction to diminish. Today, it tends to be mostly style. I'm sure that EVolution will change these even further as an EV doesn't need any large void for an ICE. Maybe something like this?
1649789837149.png

I guess the big difference between van and a truck is where the ICE is located: in front of (truck), or under (van), the driver. I guess evolution, accounting for safety crumple zones and V-engine ICE has caused the distinction to diminish. Today, it tends to be mostly style. I'm sure that EVolution will change these even further as an EV doesn't need any large void for an ICE. Maybe something like this?
View attachment 792841
Trucks have a separate cab/ cargo area. Vans have one big box for passengers and cargo.

Vans usually have a much bigger enclosed space.

The Cybertruck is not a great substitute for a van. It is passable for some people.

GM makes the most reliable vehicles, bar none.

Not only has this been my personal experience but I've also made aware of a large fleet customer, that had many units of every brand in the fleet, maintenance records and their data showed this to be true, by a large margin actually.

Maybe there are other reasons however that you don't like them. But if you want to just buy a vehicle and drive it for 300K+ miles without spending hardly any money, GM is your best bet.
I was a GM guy since before I drove. Still own a 1935 Chevy and a 1971SS Camaro
The last 3 GM vehicles I had sucked so bad I bought Mopar. It was painful. A RAM 1500.
So much better than my GM vehicles.
I’ll never buy a GM again

The last 3 GM vehicles I had sucked so bad I bought Mopar. It was painful. A RAM 1500.
Wow, that’s quite the admission. Must’ve been kinda tough to make the break but kudos for being so honest. I was 68 when I purchased my first pickup truck so I was pretty much agnostic when it came to trucks, despite the fact that my dad was, and my siblings are, all Chevy diehards. I chose the RAM 1500 due primarily to the glowing reviews in Car & Driver but it’s still just a placeholder until my CT or R1T arrives.

It’s amusing to me how pickup trucks can inspire such loyalty. My siblings would never consider a RAM or Ford and would never even comparison shop on prices or features.

Reactions: Ogre
If I had to buy a new pickup today it would almost certainly be the Stellantis (Ram) because they drive lovely and you absolutely get more content in a Stellantis for the money than you do in a GM.

That said, I purchased my wife a new Jeep in late 2015 that she still drives, and it's been the single least reliable vehicle I've ever owned by a huge margin. It spent months in the shop the first 2 years, so although it was under warranty I'd always still get stuck with bills for extended rental cars (warranty only covers 30 days), programming that they required to fix codes but wasn't under warranty, and just general *sugar* design. It has 70K miles now and the entire adaptive cruise control/ stability system just began flashing on the dash and I'm looking at a 4 figure repair bill on a car with only 70K miles, this time out of warranty. The water pump went out once and it was nearly $1K and backordered for 6 weeks.

My current '18 GM truck bought new has 90K miles with $0 spent on maintenance and my last GM went over 240K miles (then it was totaled by the new owner, a friend's son) with less than $1500 in lifetime total maintenance costs.

IME, GMs essentially don't experience failures just require maintenance. But some experience squeaks and annoyances. As I said, an oil field fleet customer with scores of every brand of truck shared their internal data with me and reached the same conclusion.

GL.

Last edited:
I really just want an F-150 Lightning with the Tesla charge port (and SuC network) and Tesla software. Perfect combo.
I hope you don't complain too loudly for Tesla charging you each time you charge, then. Supercharger network isn't free. Part of its cost is embedded in each new Tesla's price. Other than that, have fun with your Ford. As I recall, Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. They build cheap cars, which is the main reason people buy them. And Chrysler products are a few notches below that.

I hope you don't complain too loudly for Tesla charging you each time you charge, then. Supercharger network isn't free. Part of its cost is embedded in each new Tesla's price. Other than that, have fun with your Ford. As I recall, Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. They build cheap cars, which is the main reason people buy them. And Chrysler products are a few notches below that.
Consumer Reports reliability ranking by brand has Ford all the way down at 18. Still, a nice premium to Tesla at 27...

RankingBrandScore
1Lexus76
2Mazda75
3Toyota71
4Infiniti69
5Buick66
6Honda66
7Subaru66
8Acura64
9Nissan63
10Mini60
11Hyundai56
12Chrysler54
13Porsche52
14Chevy48
15Audi47
16Cadillac47
17BMW45
18Ford44
19Kia43
20Volvo42
21Ram40
22GMC37
23Mercedes-Benz34
24Volkswagen31
25Genesis30
26Jeep26
27Tesla25
28Lincoln18

Consumer Reports reliability ranking by brand has Ford all the way down at 18. Still, a nice premium to Tesla at 27...

RankingBrandScore
1Lexus76
2Mazda75
3Toyota71
4Infiniti69
5Buick66
6Honda66
7Subaru66
8Acura64
9Nissan63
10Mini60
11Hyundai56
12Chrysler54
13Porsche52
14Chevy48
15Audi47
16Cadillac47
17BMW45
18Ford44
19Kia43
20Volvo42
21Ram40
22GMC37
23Mercedes-Benz34
24Volkswagen31
25Genesis30
26Jeep26
27Tesla25
28Lincoln18
What does this even mean?

For me “Reliability“ means the chance my car will break down on the side of the highway. That is not what Consumer Reports means in this report at all.

My worst car ever was a 1995 Golf. Just about everything that could break broke (speedometer hand rarely worked toward the end). My 2002 Tahoe had a few large expenses including a failed gas pump that required towing. The tranny on that sucker died a few months after we sold it around 150-160K miles. I assume that most modern EVs will do a lot better than those 2.

My worst car was a VW Jetta. It was genuinely unreliable. With electrical failures that required going into the shop within a month of ownership, a total engine replacement required at 65,000 miles ($4500), and the turbo melting down and blowing chunks of metal into the exhaust system requiring the turbo and exhaust system be replaced entirely.

When someone says “Reliability” then talks about paint chips I just roll my eyes. Unless you are talking about big chunks of paint peeling off, it’s a minor issue.

Reactions: Suns_PSD and Zorg