Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well,that’s true. At what point it become fraud? You know…. Like FSD!

Honestly what happened to the days when a manufacturer came out with a vehicle, it was great and people bought it?
That's back when cars were tangible items. Nowadays cars are about the software IP and future updates and upgrades. :) Jokes aside, this will all subside soon enough once the EV transition is done (5, 10 years out?). We're living through a technological transition done on a large scale. It's not easy.

Side note, I think I just convinced another friend to buy an EV, and that's somebody who scoffed at the idea a couple years ago. We're definitely past early adopters.

Musk confirmed in the meeting today that Cybertruck production is going to be in Texas and will indeed be starting in 2022.

Production of the 4680 cells in Fremont is online which was the big blocker. Just a bit of a haul to get volume of the 4680 up and the factory finished.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus and Blup85
What options will be be able to customize as production nears?. Do you get an alert to customize cybertruck based on what number you are on the reservation list?. Is the alert personalized to your configuration or is it a mass email to all that reserved vehicle?

What options will be be able to customize as production nears?. Do you get an alert to customize cybertruck based on what number you are on the reservation list?. Is the alert personalized to your configuration or is it a mass email to all that reserved vehicle?
We have no idea what options will be available.

On the Model Y it was: Color, Interior, Wheels, and Tow Hitch. (Plus FSD but it doesn't count)

On the Cybertruck, color is "Stainless Steel", and I think Tow hitch is likely included.

Wheels/ tires almost certainly going to be something you pick... not sure what else.
Maybe interior will be configurable.

Solar?

That's back when cars were tangible items. Nowadays cars are about the software IP and future updates and upgrades. :) Jokes aside, this will all subside soon enough once the EV transition is done (5, 10 years out?). We're living through a technological transition done on a large scale. It's not easy.

Side note, I think I just convinced another friend to buy an EV, and that's somebody who scoffed at the idea a couple years ago. We're definitely past early adopters.
As long as it wasn’t a Tesla. All good.

Musk confirmed in the meeting today that Cybertruck production is going to be in Texas and will indeed be starting in 2022.

Production of the 4680 cells in Fremont is online which was the big blocker. Just a bit of a haul to get volume of the 4680 up and the factory finished.
He also said Model Y wouldn't hit volume production out of Austin until end of 2022...and Tesla has said multiple times that it will.be Model Y first, then CT out of Austin.

Reactions: TessP100D
He also said Model Y wouldn't hit volume production out of Austin until end of 2022...and Tesla has said multiple times that it will.be Model Y first, then CT out of Austin.
You make it sound like it needs to be sequential, but Tesla has not suggested this at all. They aren’t waiting for Model Y production to finish up, they can and are building facilities in parallel. They are waiting for 4680 production capacity be high enough to feed both the Model Y and the Cybertruck.

Fremont is only producing 10GWH of cells, that’s enough for 160,000 Model Ys or 100,000 Cybertrucks. No point in bringing a second production line up when the only way to supply it is by starving their existing line. When the Austin battery line (or some other source of 4680 cells) comes online, then they can start Cybertruck production. Whether that happens before or after the Model Y production ramp ends is independent.

If Model Y starts production in Dec and Cybertruck in March, Model Y was still first.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the process of holding cybertruck “once production nears” and you configure cybertruck?. Do I go through process and call Tesla to hold cybertruck if need be once it’s delivered to destination if choice?.

wow....now we know why cybertruck was not produced as it was announced before the y..yet the y is out. Bait and switch with all the 100.00 deposits? Seems they are dragging it out and will up the prices.
When I made my reservation, I don’t even recall Austin being on the table yet. Let alone the fact that Cybertruck and Model Y were being produced there. Maybe it was?

But I certainly don’t recall they ever said the Cybertruck would be out before the Model Y entered production. It doesn’t really make sense since the Model Y line is going to be easier to bring up regardless since they already have 2 running.

Yup. I reserved MY a month or so after the reveal and then reserved my CT after that reveal later.

The TSLAQ trolls were convinced that the MY wouldn't get built. Obviously that's blown up in their faces and the MY is outselling M3+MS+MX combined as Elon predicted. Two new factories pumping out MYs are about to come online this year.

So now TSLAQ has moved on to hoping and praying that the CT won't be built.

When I made my reservation, I don’t even recall Austin being on the table yet. Let alone the fact that Cybertruck and Model Y were being produced there. Maybe it was?

But I certainly don’t recall they ever said the Cybertruck would be out before the Model Y entered production. It doesn’t really make sense since the Model Y line is going to be easier to bring up regardless since they already have 2 running.

Reactions: tren01t and Ogre
As of August MY has been outselling M3+MS+MX combined. I thought I saw the September numbers, but can't find it.

Shanghai only started building and selling MY earlier this year. They finally started shipping MY to Europe at the end of this past quarter. That's 18 months after it went into production in NA.

Not disputing your number.

But between Berlin and Texas they are bringing capacity to produce half a million Model Ys per year online over the next 12 months.

So sometime in the next quarter or two, Model Y will be pull ahead.

Reactions: HellsKitchen