Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You recently ordered a rivian and you need a truck now? Did you get an estimated delivery date? From what I'm seeing you are probably a year or more away from getting a rivian if you just ordered...
If not, let us know... I would love one but I didn't preorder, I would put in an order if I knew I would get it in 6 months or less...

I recently ordered a Rivian. I'm a pretty early CT reservation but need a truck now, and am not impressed with f150. Got a nice letter from RJ, and a color rendering of my R1T in the mail.. lol.

Reactions: AquaY and TessP100D
You recently ordered a rivian and you need a truck now? Did you get an estimated delivery date? From what I'm seeing you are probably a year or more away from getting a rivian if you just ordered...
If not, let us know... I would love one but I didn't preorder, I would put in an order if I knew I would get it in 6 months or less...

the CT production specs aren't even finalized let alone how a rigid and bulletproof stainless steel exoskeleton (in the front) will be compliant with pedestrian safety regulations ... so it's questionable that the CT will even go into small scale production by late 2022 (let alone pumping out in volume).

You'll get your R1T a lot sooner than that and the R1T has been tested/ developed for years now

Reactions: TessP100D
the CT production specs aren't even finalized let alone how a rigid and bulletproof stainless steel exoskeleton (in the front) will be compliant with pedestrian safety regulations ... so it's questionable that the CT will even go into small scale production by late 2022 (let alone pumping out in volume).

You'll get your R1T a lot sooner than that and the R1T has been tested/ developed for years now

As far as I know, Tesla has not stated publicly if the CT design is ready for production. The availability of the 4680 cells and the 8K casting machines seem to be the limiting factor at the moment.

To what "safety regulations" are you referring? In America, pedestrians are considered "obstacles".

To what "safety regulations" are you referring? In America, pedestrians are considered "obstacles".
I keep seeing that as well and have never heard of it before. Doesn't seem like a thing. What Pedestrian safety measures do semi trucks have, or bumper racks for that matter that are designed to quarter a deer so it doesn't damage your 1991 dodge ram?

Best I can tell, being in the first 20k reservactions I figure I'm lucky if I get my CT by end of 23. If I can get a rivian mid 22 I'd be happy. I consider mid 22 " now"

So 24 is realistic then?
Supposedly, there are 1M reservations for the CT. Assume that 50% turn into actual sales, that's 500k trucks. As of now, it looks like production will begin at the end of 2022, early 2023. The next question is how fast can Tesla produce 500,000 trucks. It seems to me that it'll be might impressive if Tesla can produce that many trucks in 2 years. So, short answer to your question: 2024 is a maybe but a bit of a long shot in my opinion. Then again, none of us know Elon's actual plans.

I wonder if those "pedestrian safety regulations " are a reason Musk said that they would make a Cyber Truck for Europe in the future.
Europe has more regulations for vehicle design to be less fatal for pedestrians than the US.

As for specs ,Musk has stated that the specs are finalized. Are you guessing they aren't?
Supposedly, there are 1M reservations for the CT. Assume that 50% turn into actual sales, that's 500k trucks. As of now, it looks like production will begin at the end of 2022, early 2023. The next question is how fast can Tesla produce 500,000 trucks. It seems to me that it'll be might impressive if Tesla can produce that many trucks in 2 years. So, short answer to your question: 2024 is a maybe but a bit of a long shot in my opinion. Then again, none of us know Elon's actual plans.
Morgan Stanley released a report stating that they thought Tesla would be producing 100,000 Cyber trucks by 2025.
Musk has said 250,000 to 300,000.
One of the reasons for Giga Texas is to build the Cyber truck and isn't part of the reason for it's design to be more quickly constructed?
No paint shop alone helps in that regard.
My guess is more than 1/2 the orders will drop off. Possibly 2/3s
I think limiting factors and delays for CT production is because of extremely high demand for current models in production as well as materials and parts.
The CT needs more batteries and more chips than a Model Y for example.
I have a feeling I'll be getting my reserved CT sometime in late 2025 if I'm lucky.
I really want to see a Rivian when they are out.
I wonder how long a delay there is if your order one today.

You think a long shot as in 24 is to soon or thinking it might be longer?. I looked into the reservation tracker and it’s saying 25 for me.

I wonder if those "pedestrian safety regulations " are a reason Musk said that they would make a Cyber Truck for Europe in the future.
Europe has more regulations for vehicle design to be less fatal for pedestrians than the US.

As for specs ,Musk has stated that the specs are finalized. Are you guessing they aren't?

Morgan Stanley released a report stating that they thought Tesla would be producing 100,000 Cyber trucks by 2025.
Musk has said 250,000 to 300,000.
One of the reasons for Giga Texas is to build the Cyber truck and isn't part of the reason for it's design to be more quickly constructed?
No paint shop alone helps in that regard.
My guess is more than 1/2 the orders will drop off. Possibly 2/3s
I think limiting factors and delays for CT production is because of extremely high demand for current models in production as well as materials and parts.
The CT needs more batteries and more chips than a Model Y for example.
I have a feeling I'll be getting my reserved CT sometime in late 2025 if I'm lucky.
I really want to see a Rivian when they are out.
I wonder how long a delay there is if your order one today.

Well, they have 50k pre orders for R1S/T and they plan on building 20K vans per year. They seem to have been working on ramping up their production through 2021, so building 70k vehicles in the next 15 months shouldn't be a stretch. If you order now, you should have a decent shot at getting it by end of 2022.

You think a long shot as in 24 is to soon or thinking it might be longer?. I looked into the reservation tracker and it’s saying 25 for me.
Truth is that nobody has a real clue. At this point 2025 seems pretty reasonable, but we won't know until they start producing and cranking them out. It's gonna depend on how many they can actually produce and whether the demand will still be as strong as anticipated. Lots of unknowns 2+ years out.

The Rivian is so ugly and does not have the Supercharger network. I would never get one of those hideous vehicles even if the Cybertruck was not coming out. I also have never liked conventional truck designs. I will be passing on the Lightning as well...

Brent