Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'm curious about is whether the 500 miles range model ends up becoming 400. Everyone else is offering 300 to 400 miles EV trucks for way more than Tesla announced. The model S is good for 400 miles and costs $90K. I just don't see how Elon releases a truck with a longer range and lower price than its flagship sedan. Especially now that the competition has showed that they're all asking $80K or more for a 400 mile truck. I would bet on 400 miles and $70-75K truck and a 500 miles, 4 motor, $100K truck.

What I'm curious about is whether the 500 miles range model ends up becoming 400. Everyone else is offering 300 to 400 miles EV trucks for way more than Tesla announced. The model S is good for 400 miles and costs $90K. I just don't see how Elon releases a truck with a longer range and lower price than its flagship sedan. Especially now that the competition has showed that they're all asking $80K or more for a 400 mile truck. I would bet on 400 miles and $70-75K truck and a 500 miles, 4 motor, $100K truck.
I can’t imagine the cybertruck doubling in price and it being such a tight race with ford. If they did that they would surely lose a lot of reservations.

Reactions: TessP100D and Ogre
Yeah, was clumsily trying to say that the 500 miles truck will be way more than $70k, and/or the $70k truck may just be 400 miles to match up to the competition. Remember how Tesla ended up not selling the 520 miles Plaid.
Hopefully we'll get some clarity on this and the new product roadmap at the earnings call.

All of this speculation based on reading tea leaves is frustrating.

Reactions: TessP100D and Zorg
Could be indicative of a further delay or it could have been updated since we are in 2022 now. No need to call out the year.

In any case I bet we get some updates from Elon and team on their next earnings call. Didn’t he tweet an update was coming this month?
Was thinking this too but then they could have said "as production nears this year" to remove the ambiguity. But that could be them playing 3D chess to get more media attention -- Edmunds just posted an article about the change.

Was thinking this too but then they could have said "as production nears this year" to remove the ambiguity. But that could be them playing 3D chess to get more media attention -- Edmunds just posted an article about the change.
I saw that. I think it’s all speculation at this point. If Edmunds posted it and no official word was from Tesla. It still has the dual motor configuration under my order. I am hoping they do not raise the initial 49k price tag to much once in production.

Reactions: Ogre
I saw that. I think it’s all speculation at this point. If Edmunds posted it and no official word was from Tesla. It still has the dual motor configuration under my order. I am hoping they do not raise the initial 49k price tag to much once in production.
sure thing. Ford will sell you a contractor grade bare-bone work truck with just 230 miles range whereas Tesla will treat you to an indestructible AWD stainless steel truck with 300 miles of range and vegan leather seats with a nice sound system for the same price (and $10k cheaper than a compact Model Y SUV 😅 😅 😅 )

My useless prediction: in the US the 4-motor CT will cost 90 or 100, and the dual motor will be priced at 70 or 80. No tri-motor. In a few years they will probably introduce lower priced versions. Maybe a one-motor.

Tesla underpriced the CT. Chevy priced the launch edition Silverado at 105, and you must pay extra if you want the 400 mile range. The Lightning is also six figures. I expect Chevy and Ford will have cheaper versions in the future.

A difference between Tesla and others is that Tesla will ramp to higher production sooner, which might affect pricing.

I reserved a dual motor at 50. I'd go with 60, but since this is a second vehicle, not my primary vehicle, I have trouble with a price over 60.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
My useless prediction: in the US the 4-motor CT will cost 90 or 100, and the dual motor will be priced at 70 or 80. No tri-motor. In a few years they will probably introduce lower priced versions. Maybe a one-motor.

Tesla underpriced the CT. Chevy priced the launch edition Silverado at 105, and you must pay extra if you want the 400 mile range. The Lightning is also six figures. I expect Chevy and Ford will have cheaper versions in the future.

A difference between Tesla and others is that Tesla will ramp to higher production sooner, which might affect pricing.

I reserved a dual motor at 50. I'd go with 60, but since this is a second vehicle, not my primary vehicle, I have trouble with a price over 60.
agree. Tesla clearly presented a prototype during the Cybertruck reveal before figuring out how it could actually look in final dimensions and "boring stuff" like how such a long and low angled windshield would work etc. - while the company was all hands on deck for the much more important Model Y ramp up and building assembly lines for that cash cow in Germany and Texas. Tesla isn't going to undercut the competition with a much more capable truck to the tune of tens of thousands of $ (F150 Lightning Lariat with 300 miles - $79k ... Cybertruck AWD $49k .... ain't happening...)

People found the pricing on the Cybertruck difficult to believe when it launched.

The fact that 2 years later people still find their prices difficult to believe isn’t surprising.

People found pricing on the Model 3 difficult to believe also, but Tesla delivered the Model 3 at the prices they offered it at as well.

People are thinking way too short term here.

The real question about Cybertruck pricing is: “What price would Tesla need to set to sell 500,000 trucks per year?”

Tesla won’t be able to sell half a million trucks a year at an average price of $80k - $90k. They might sell a couple hundred thousand at those prices, but they are building facilities to produce millions of trucks.

The Model S and Model X are priced super high and produced in super-low volumes, Tesla sold less than 20,000 Model S and Model X last year. To sell huge volumes of vehicles, Tesla needs lower pricing. Tesla wants to sell as many Cybertrucks as possible. $90k trucks are very low volume.

People found the pricing on the Cybertruck difficult to believe when it launched.

The fact that 2 years later people still find their prices difficult to believe isn’t surprising.

People found pricing on the Model 3 difficult to believe also, but Tesla delivered the Model 3 at the prices they offered it at as well.
please let me know where I can order a $35k SR Model 3.... the cheapest Model 3 is currently $45k

Reactions: Alset Srotom
People are thinking way too short term here.

The real question about Cybertruck pricing is: “What price would Tesla need to set to sell 500,000 trucks per year?”

Tesla won’t be able to sell half a million trucks a year at an average price of $80k - $90k. They might sell a couple hundred thousand at those prices, but they are building facilities to produce millions of trucks.

The Model S and Model X are priced super high and produced in super-low volumes, Tesla sold less than 20,000 Model S and Model X last year. To sell huge volumes of vehicles, Tesla needs lower pricing. Tesla wants to sell as many Cybertrucks as possible. $90k trucks are very low volume.
aaah. now Tesla is building several factories to produce MILLIONS of trucks annually. Any source for that? Given its dimensions and regulations abroad... the Cybertruck will in its current form only be a go in NA. But sure... they'll sell MILLIONS of trucks in NA from several assembly lines.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberGus