Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really, just cheap, high frequency broadband ones. I should have said Ka band which is much higher and vulnerable than Ku band. Reliability in rain is just a benefit of wired broadband systems.

Hmm, well I seemed to have a problem every time in rained with dish tv. I think they chose Ka band because it has faster speeds due to the higher frequency. Not cheapness.

Hmm, well I seemed to have a problem every time in rained with dish tv. I think they chose Ka band because it has faster speeds due to the higher frequency. Not cheapness.
Higher frequency is not the issue. Bandwidth is. It is, however, much cheaper to get a lot of bandwidth in the Ka band than say L or S bands that cellphones use, where one can use omni-directional antennas instead of big directional antennas like Dish or big phased-array antennas like Starnet. L and S band spectrum tends to cost about $1B per MHz bandwidth for a US-nationwide footprint. At one time Ka band satellite spectrum was essentially free since the big telecom companies needed 99.99% or better availability. Clearly, Starlink (and DirectTV) standards are, perhaps, high enough for business but aren't so high.
From a 1st order, one gets about 1 Mbps of data rate from 1 MHz of bandwidth. With some more expensive techniques and limitations (like small cell sizes - neighborhood base stations), one can get 4 to 8 Mbps from 1 MHz of bandwidth.
I have no problem with Starnet, however, I just want to share my knowledge as one in the wireless industry, that I don't recommend going totally wireless unless they're ok with signal loss in heavy rain. Of course, I'm happy with a good book on rainy days.

The 500 mile range CT is going to cost 6 figures, and in reality only have a 350 mile useable range.

And I say this as a HUGE CT fanboy.
Yeah, I have zero hope that I'll get my 520 mile range truck for the preorder pricing of 69k plus 7k FSD. It's been said there won't even be a tri-motor truck that it's going quad motor. This will definitely have to be over 100 grand and probably 125 grand. I have a pre price increase M3P with red/white coming in soon and it's 62 grand now.

I'm going to take delivery of my F150 Lightning and should get it with the tax incentive making a 320 mile fullsize for 72500 after the incentive. I'm still hopeful to see a CT at some point in the future.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Yeah, I have zero hope that I'll get my 520 mile range truck for the preorder pricing of 69k plus 7k FSD. It's been said there won't even be a tri-motor truck that it's going quad motor. This will definitely have to be over 100 grand and probably 125 grand. I have a pre price increase M3P with red/white coming in soon and it's 62 grand now.

I'm going to take delivery of my F150 Lightning and should get it with the tax incentive making a 320 mile fullsize for 72500 after the incentive. I'm still hopeful to see a CT at some point in the future.

Tesla/ Musk have said nothing about the tri motor going away. Personally I think the tri motor sticks around and the quad goes above it as the "Plaid"/ performance version.

Dual motor will be the "budget" truck. Tri motor will be tuned for range. Quad for performance.

Tesla/ Musk have said nothing about the tri motor going away. Personally I think the tri motor sticks around and the quad goes above it as the "Plaid"/ performance version.

Dual motor will be the "budget" truck. Tri motor will be tuned for range. Quad for performance.
Perhaps this will be what happens but I don’t see a tri-motor cybertruck selling for 69,000 when a dual motor Model Y Perf is 68,000.

Sorry, guess you are not a truck guy. I would think people would pay a 20 grand premium for a pickup.
hmmmm.....I'm reading what I wrote and I am not sure where I said what I would or would not be willing to pay for a truck. I simply said I don't see how a tri-motor Cybertuck is going to sell for the same price as MYP.

I meant to comment directly on this and forgot, doing too many things at once. I am hoping this is the how they target the trucks. I'd be plenty happy with lesser perf and really high range.
I strongly suspect this is the meat of the truck market. You have contractors and professionals who need trucks who don’t need massive range but need the capabilities a truck brings. They would buy the lower end Cybertruck or the “Pro” F-150 Lightning. People who tow or use their truck for camping or outdoor recreation will mostly get the 500 mile range truck. And people who want a bad-ass performance truck. That would be the quad motor buyer.

Reactions: Zer0t and Suns_PSD
GM has already stated the price for their high end Silverado EV, 400 miles range at 647 hp (same 212.7 useable kwh battery pack as the 329 range Hummer but a lighter more aero vehicle) will cost $107K. GM product has been expensive for years however.

The 500 mile range CT will in reality be closer to a 400 mile range, and will likely get by with a bit smaller battery pack than the Silverado-E because it'll weigh 1K#s less, have less content and be more aero. But still, why would they price it significantly less than the Silverado-E?

Ford claimed batteries cost above $200/ kWh so using that math a 180 kWh CT battery pack alone would cost $36K.

The CT realistically would cost considerably more to manufacture than a MY.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think a nicely speced CT can be the $39K that Musk initially indicated. But heck the Lighting MSRP is $39K so I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Zer0t