Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CYBRVN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I strongly suspect in addition to the truck, CyberVan will be announced Thursday. My reasoning:

-Elon said the truck will be better than an F 150. It's possible he'll let us down and give us a glorified Subara Baja, but I strongly suspect this truck will have better cargo, load, and towing capacity than an F-150 based on this comment and others.

-If my suspicion correct and this is more than a truck body on a model 3 chassis, it will be the perfect platform to build a best in class van on. It seems reasonable a second production line could be built in the new factory for the van, all parts except body are identical to truck (similar to model 3-y).

Thoughts? Is this a no brainer for Tesla, or more difficult to pull off I'm making it sound?

They could just as easily introduce a 3 row, off road capable SUV version (ie a personnel carrier) along with the truck (ie Rivian R1T / R1S) , instead of a van, though a cargo van would probably be good for commercial sales. But if it's based on the truck, I don't see how they'd give something standing room height in the back with that wedge front end. By the time that slope reached cargo van height, there might only be a couple feet of flat roof at the back. If they did a van, it would probably have to have a totally different front end and body.

Personally I'd like to see them have a mid sized electric dual sport motorcycle (like the Zero FX, but fast charging and with Tesla battery & motor tech) in the back of the truck at the reveal, which would be well suited to replace polluting bikes in the Asian market. Would probably have a greater impact on carbon emissions and smog than selling cars in India.

Personally I'd like to see them have a mid sized electric dual sport motorcycle (like the Zero FX, but fast charging and with Tesla battery & motor tech) in the back of the truck at the reveal, which would be well suited to replace polluting bikes in the Asian market. Would probably have a greater impact on carbon emissions and smog than selling cars in India.

If they wanted to do that they would have bought Alta before it went bankrupt.

For some reason I believe that new truck will have the Plaid architecture. Will have dual motors in the back to provide more torque, better towing capacity, extra cooling, and allow a much shorter turning radius by turning one wheel forward and one back. Kind of like a tank.

This would open up all sorts of possibilities and capabilities.

Imagine it will have it's own steel chassis, air suspension and AWD.

For arguments sake, would it even be possible for a 3rd row (even if it’s rear facing) with an enclosed cab instead of the open bed, can’t really eyeball the dimensions, lol. This is to compete in the large suv market, without drastically changing too much?

For arguments sake, would it even be possible for a 3rd row (even if it’s rear facing) with an enclosed cab instead of the open bed, can’t really eyeball the dimensions, lol. This is to compete in the large suv market, without drastically changing too much?
I wonder how much the Cyber Skateboard platform could be used to create some other variations?

- 6 seats 4 doors (The current Cyber Truck)

- 3 seats 2 doors long bed Pick Truck

- 9 seats 4 doors 9 seats Minivan (May be sliddind doors or Falcon Wing doors)

- 6 seats 4 doors (Current Cyber Truck) but with flat roof to integrate a rear cover, like the Camper shown during the intro)

- 6 seats 4 doors (Current Cyber Truck) but lower rear finder, allowing to use a 5-wheel hook at the center of the bed,
or to put special equipments, like crane use to access electrical street lighting.

- Military / Police / Fire fighter / Ambulance variations...

Last edited:
I wonder how much the Cyber Skateboard platform could be used to create some other variations?

I haven't been keeping up all weekend, but do we know it's a skateboard or body on frame? During the reveal Elon talked about moving the structure to the outside, exoskeleton, etc. To me this means that the body itself is part of the frame. If so, then it will NOT be simply a matter of placing different body shells onto a frame or skateboard to make different models.

Reactions: camalaio
I strongly suspect in addition to the truck, CyberVan will be announced Thursday. My reasoning:

-Elon said the truck will be better than an F 150. It's possible he'll let us down and give us a glorified Subara Baja,
but I strongly suspect this truck will have better cargo, load, and towing capacity than an F-150 based on this comment and others.

-If my suspicion correct and this is more than a truck body on a model 3 chassis,
it will be the perfect platform to build a best in class van on.
It seems reasonable a second production line could be built in the new factory for the van,
all parts except body are identical to truck (similar to model 3-y).

Thoughts? Is this a no brainer for Tesla, or more difficult to pull off I'm making it sound?

That's true, but the point of this crazy origami design is that easy to manufacture.
So press out a different body (VAN) on the same skateboard platform shouldn't be too hard.

LDV (SAIC) just introduced an Electric Van for the European market.

Electric Mini Bus from LDV

Extract from one Youtube comments:

Pinned by Jonathan Porterfield
Nadeem Ahmed1 day ago

30Kw Charging CCS.
Very basic styling and interior.
Less performance than a Nissan leaf.
70 - 100 mile range 56KWh Battery.

I called LDV dealer near me and asked how much the panel van costs as they wont tell you on their website.
I got the answer £64,000.00 The diesel equivalent costs £18,000.00.
So.. it costs 3.5 more than the diesel equivalent.

I asked why so expensive. He said.. its the technology that's gone into it..
I'm sorry.. the tech!!! does it have more tech than a Tesla model S.. or Model 3 High Performance!?!?

Have you seen the price of the new Tesla CyberTruck..
Tesla truck has 3 times the range, 3 times the charging speed, 1.5 times the payload, and costs about half as much.

The van manufacturers are fixing prices so that they get all the benefit of the cost saving of an EV vs a Diesel
as they know the government through legislation will force van drivers and fleet managers to buy EVs.

I live on the edge of London an as of April next year I will be charged £12.5 a day to drive anywhere in London in my 2004 Transit.

Is it a coincidence that the VW, LDV, and Renault all cost about the same and so much more expensive than the diesels.

Someone needs to investigate how it is that Nissan ENV 200 is the same price as the diesel equivalent..
but the LDV 80, Renault Traffic and the VW Crafter Electric versions are 3 times or more expensive than the Diesel versions.
Making them more expensive than even luxury EV Cars.​