Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyclist Killed by a Tesla but make sure you emphasize "Self Driving"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the lead in is wrong it does not say the car was actually in self drive mode just the car has "self drive features"

Not to lessen the severity and sorrow of another cyclist being hit by a car, (I am one of those guys who ride) I just feel the title is misleading.

You don't see headlines stating cyclist was hit by a Chevy Malibu or a Ford Focus.

Cyclist Killed by Tesla Car with Self-Driving Features
if a cyclist was killed by a robot... that's news.

"It’s unclear if the driver in Friday’s crash had applied the autonomous technology at the time of the collision. "​
and
"Last year, a man was killed when his Tesla Model S, in autopilot mode, crashed on a highway in Florida. Observers called it the first known traffic death involving self-driving technology. If the car in Friday’s crash was piloting itself, then Heppell could become the second."​

So they have no idea.

They just as well made the headline: "Cyclist killed by driver who falls asleep.", then go on to say they don't know if he was asleep when he hit the cyclist, but he was, the cyclist would have been a cyclist killed by driver asleep at the wheel.

Reactions: GaryW