TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cyclone Wheels (Real Photo)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Subhuman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

#1 Subhuman, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    I visted the Oakbrook Chicago store over the weekend mainly to checkout color options and new rim options. The cyclones look great in person. I was never really that excited about the standard 19" rims but 21" rims in the Midwest is not really a good option (winter, potholes, excessive tire wear). the cyclone wheels are an excellent compromise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28593&d=1376920577.jpg

I intended on snapping a photo of the aero wheels too but i got sidetracked and forgot (P85 test drive!). Orginally not a big fan of the aero wheels, however they look much better in person. If I remember correctly they are mostly black.

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Thanks! I'm considering taking the 19" Cyclone as a good trade-off between costs and damage. The 21" are super, but the tires are really expensive and they damage very quickly.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Be sure you compare the costs related to going with another third-party set, like Rial's Lugano. I think rough calculations in the 19" turbine wheel thread showed that you could buy the car with the standard 19" wheels *and* purchase a set of the Lugano wheels for the same price as going with Tesla's option. :)

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Interesting that the cyclones still form the 5 spoke pattern given the spacing between blades. Not sure how I feel about that.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I don't like it, that's why I'm going to TireRack for the Luganos... but to each his own. :)

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The spacing of the "spokes" seems like a mistake - they are not evenly spaced as they are on the 21" wheels. When standing still, the spoke pattern looks like a mistake rather than by design.

7. AC1K

AC1K Member

i dont think this is the case, this wheel is just a 5 split design, instead of straight spokes they are curved.
    rc_jiminez_19_obphoto.jpg

to be honest i dont really prefer the design either, i would rather they have the turbine blades more pronounced like this

sema-lexus-project-ct-five-axis-3.jpg

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I would have preferred a 19" wheel option too. Unfortunately, I don't really like the standard 19's at all. The cyclones look fine to me but they don't come in grey (dark) like the 21's do. If they did, I'd take them hands down.

Those Rial Luganos are beautiful, Flasher! Too bad nobody around here carries them, and TireRack basically charges a 5th wheel's worth of shipping on top of currency conversion. :crying:

9. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Yes, something about the Cyclones are saying Nissan Altima to me. Now on the other hand, the more I look at the Aero 19's the more I think it could make the Model S stand out even more (a good thing, imo) . But, I'm waiting on those Luganos as well...

10. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Hard to imagine that design being a mistake. I believe it was intentional. Someone else in another thread suggested that's why they're called "cyclones" rather than turbines. The Rial Luganos are that way as well if you look closely.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not seeing this on their website. Was this a personal conversation you had with a TireRack rep?

11. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

#11 jvonbokel, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    Link

12. sub

sub Member

nice to see there are aftermarket options. I really don't like the plain 19"s that come on the Model S, but I can live with them for a while if I order to keep the price down and buy some aftermarket wheels down the road.

13. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Pictures of my new car, with 19" Cyclone wheels: Tesla_side.jpg Tesla_cyclone_back.jpg tesla_front.jpg

14. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Wow those look pretty mean on the grey!

15. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Really nice! Want them!

16. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

The design feels all wrong. That spacing between blade-pairs: I don't get it. I'd be interested if instead of 10 blades there were 11 or 12. But 10 is too few and the wheel looks weird in my opinion.

17. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Be nice if these could be specified for the P+ (pref. with the wider rears). The 21's look superb and no doubt would outperform 19's when pushed, but they are always going to be high maintenance.

18. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks, Electricfan and yobigd20, for the pictures.

20. UMD86

UMD86 Member