TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Czech Check...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by medved, Jun 24, 2013.

1. medved

medved Member

#1 medved, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

2. dtich

dtich #P708

ya, slovak, well.. certainly when it started it would have been czech, no? but thanks for the.. clarity. potato, potàto. i thought the stained glass was pretty cool...

3. dtich

dtich #P708

ok. perhaps you're czech, or slovak, or personally connected somehow, i'm not, just know what people here tell me... certainly don't mean to start a whole thread and argue it all... and obviously its history is a bit complex, but...

anyway, thanks.

4. dtich

dtich #P708

huh. i think your analogy is really bad: your montana statement would be just plain wrong; whereas my statement, even if you get really pedantic, as you are, it still doesn't seem wrong, maybe just a bit imprecise, if you get oddly anal about it, which you are.

when i originally said "czech" company, i meant czechoslovakian, as in the state of czechoslovakia, as it was then. not czech as in czech republic, but czech in the original use of it cause that's the time period that was being referenced. your 'correction' of that just confused me and frankly i don't understand why you're splitting that hair. i do know the difference between czech and slovak, but didn't think it was necessary to be so.. pedantic. i didn't realize i was defending a dissertation on it. so. now that the original vibe of the post is totally ruined, thanks for that, moving on.

and before i'm thrown out of the schoolyard, mods, i'm done! thanks for indulging... :)

[i'm unclear what there was to clear up, but i'm glad it's now clear.]

edit:
    yeah, that was the original point.. not a geo-political diatribe... apologies.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

I suspect Slovak's being referred to as Czech's is one of the reasons we now HAVE a Czech Republic and a Slovak Republic...

6. dtich

dtich #P708

they could have called it slovaczechlakia. but, yes, i think you're right. there's a lot of opinion on it over here, but mostly seems on the side of 'maybe it wasn't such a great idea to split'. at any rate, live and learn.

7. dtich

dtich #P708

8. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Where are you from? Vermont. That's in New Hampshire, right?

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

OK, I'll withdraw my comments, and move on.

10. dtich

dtich #P708

thx steve, i repped you for that classy response.

@medved, i pm'd you but didn't seem to go through: