Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Czech Check...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NO. There was no czech at all when it started.

ok. perhaps you're czech, or slovak, or personally connected somehow, i'm not, just know what people here tell me... certainly don't mean to start a whole thread and argue it all... and obviously its history is a bit complex, but...

Czechoslovakia (or Czecho-Slovakia;[1] Czech and Slovak: Československo, Česko-Slovensko)[2] was a sovereign state in Central Europe that existed from October 1918, when it declared its independence from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, until its peaceful dissolution into the Czech Republic and Slovakia on 1 January 1993.

anyway, thanks.

sure, just saying. You would also want to correct me if I said that Tesla Motors is in Montana. So when it started it was Czechoslovak electronics company in Slovakia. And now it is Slovak electronics company in Slovakia (Slovak Republic). It was never czech electronics company.

huh. i think your analogy is really bad: your montana statement would be just plain wrong; whereas my statement, even if you get really pedantic, as you are, it still doesn't seem wrong, maybe just a bit imprecise, if you get oddly anal about it, which you are.

when i originally said "czech" company, i meant czechoslovakian, as in the state of czechoslovakia, as it was then. not czech as in czech republic, but czech in the original use of it cause that's the time period that was being referenced. your 'correction' of that just confused me and frankly i don't understand why you're splitting that hair. i do know the difference between czech and slovak, but didn't think it was necessary to be so.. pedantic. i didn't realize i was defending a dissertation on it. so. now that the original vibe of the post is totally ruined, thanks for that, moving on.

and before i'm thrown out of the schoolyard, mods, i'm done! thanks for indulging... :)

[i'm unclear what there was to clear up, but i'm glad it's now clear.]

edit:
You guys have gotten a little too anal for me on the "off topic" but i love the stained glass!

yeah, that was the original point.. not a geo-political diatribe... apologies.

when i originally said "czech" company, i meant czechoslovakian, as in the state of czechoslovakia, as it was then. not czech as in czech republic, but czech in the original use of it cause that's the time period that was being referenced.

I suspect Slovak's being referred to as Czech's is one of the reasons we now HAVE a Czech Republic and a Slovak Republic...

I suspect Slovak's being referred to as Czech's is one of the reasons we now HAVE a Czech Republic and a Slovak Republic...

they could have called it slovaczechlakia. but, yes, i think you're right. there's a lot of opinion on it over here, but mostly seems on the side of 'maybe it wasn't such a great idea to split'. at any rate, live and learn.

medved;370630You can't say "czech" when you mean Czechoslovakia. The correct way is to say Czechoslovak.[/QUOTE said:
(still don't agree with your analogies, but) i didn't know this. and i didn't mean to say it 'wrong'. having just had a whole conversation with czechs and slovaks here in prague about tesla - which they all called a 'czech' company, btw - i would have thought referring generally to the combined state at the time - no one made mention of needing to differentiate in this case. so, thanks for that. also, maybe they don't know it's a slovak company, and that's why.

at any rate. got. it.

- - - Updated - - -

@dtich: Your parochialism is showing. Medved has a valid point and you could learn something if you'd just listen. Thanks for the cool stained glass pic.

i have been listening, mr. zzzzzz. no need to fling adjectives around. i am far from parochial, and my points have been valid. which doesn't mean i can't learn something, i just capitulated on a point above. it so happens when you are having a discussion in a country about that country's history and companies with people born and raised in that country and then someone online has a whole argument with you that runs counter to, or at least outside the bounds of, that discussion... well, it makes one think. and it seemed fairly picking of nits the way it came across to me. like assuming i'm parochial instead of being informal. i understand now that what i thought was informal was coming off as misinformed, or something. i got it. lesson learned. i think mainly about how quick people can be to won up each other on the internet. but, look, don't make assumptions--you, as they say, don't know me. i responded pointedly to medved because i felt unjustifiably attacked, and still i wasn't calling names. so. behave yourself.

thx steve, i repped you for that classy response.

@medved, i pm'd you but didn't seem to go through:

medved, i'm sorry i hurt your feelings. never meant to at all. and i wasn't being 'simple' about it, i do understand the differences. the fact is people here call tesla a czech company. it may have started in the slovakia part of czechoslovakia (1921), but it was built with all czech money and therefore that is how it is referenced. i plead ignorance on the usage of the term czechoslovak in lieu of czech, i now understand how you use it for the different configurations of the country/regions and time periods. but i was originally just being plain about it and never meant to insult or start a semantics war.

thanks for posting.