Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

D-day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Roy! Thanks for that, yeah I will use a referral code. Want free miles! Just need to convince the wife now. May take some time. Also whilst I am trying. Where is the best place to trade in a car? I have a Merc E Class. Cheers and sorry to hijack the thread. :)

I got a quote for a trade in at Sell My Car Fast - Free Car Valuation | Sell Your Car 2 Jack (20min from Tesla Birmingham) it was better than Tesla and the Webuyanycar site

There is also Sell my car - Sell Your Car To Sam which is only 10 minutes away from Tesla Birmingham

Last edited:
Thanks Roy! Thanks for that, yeah I will use a referral code. Want free miles! Just need to convince the wife now. May take some time. Also whilst I am trying. Where is the best place to trade in a car? I have a Merc E Class. Cheers and sorry to hijack the thread. :)
No problem Benjamin. As for trade in, unless you need the convenience, Tesla’s prices are very poor. My Tesla offer was £2k less than We Buy Any Car, which seems about typical. I’d see if your Merc dealer would be interested in buying it back, although a few of my friends have found WBAC to offer a better price than their franchised dealer!

Assuming this is your first EV, the big thing to stress to Mrs Benjamin is the cost savings. I’ve had two EVs, a Nissan Leaf I had for two years and did 20k miles in, and currently a Hyundai Kona electric which has done 15k. Those 35k miles have cost a total of about £700 in “fuel”, adding about £20 a month to my electricity bill. In my old diesel ICE car the same 35k miles would have cost me about £5250 in diesel, so a saving there of about £4550!

There are also good savings to be had on servicing and maintenance, as EV brakes last about 150k miles, and the car is so much simpler.

And of course you’re doing your bit to save the planet. (Let’s not mention the fact that it goes like sh*t off a shovel :D)

If you’ve any other questions, feel free to ask or DM me.

Cheers - Roy

I recommend checking out Motorway which is like a "we buy any car" service comparison site (worth checking WBAC too, since they aren't on Motorway), I've been using it to track prices for my car I intend to sell: Motorway: Sell My Car Fast - The Comparison Site to Sell Your Car (Not affiliated in any way)

They have this nice "TruePrice" feature where they guess what you'll actually be given, based on the data from users who went through each service and how much they eventually got (which is basically always lower than the guide price)

I recommend checking out Motorway which is like a "we buy any car" service comparison site (worth checking WBAC too, since they aren't on Motorway), I've been using it to track prices for my car I intend to sell: Motorway: Sell My Car Fast - The Comparison Site to Sell Your Car (Not affiliated in any way)

They have this nice "TruePrice" feature where they guess what you'll actually be given, based on the data from users who went through each service and how much they eventually got (which is basically always lower than the guide price)

Thanks, best price I got there was £1,509

Hey Grymbok, Thanks for that, I will do.

Just watched this:

Which is very helpful! Cheers!

Quite an informational video but a couple of minor errors and/or omissions.

Tesla has charging losses which are not mentioned. Could well be around 10% - 20% at 7kW, less if using SC. Doesn't make much difference to the conclusion, but when quoting prices to nearest 1p and mentioning ABRP over estimating efficiency whilst not mentioning that information is imho an oversight.

Also, efficiency is very much conditional on the driving conditions and how the car is configured when not in use and length of drive, such as short drives and/or using cabin conditioning or sentry mode. These can considerably reduce efficiency, but again, probably same overall conclusion, although without doing the maths, using supercharging vs BMW in winter conditions, it may get quite close travel costs wise. So again, would have been good to mention other factors that affect efficiency of electric vehicles, although some also affect petrol/diesel vehicles but are usually lost in MPG seasonal variances.

I do fear that servicing is not as cheap as thought. Battery coolant and brake fluid changes may well be rather costly if done by Tesla. Not sure what they currently recommend - certainly no service schedule does not mean no servicing and imho, quoting no brake pads needed in 150k miles is hardly a major saving when we have had ours changed once in 150k miles and would have cost under £200/300 including new discs as required. I personally think that currently, service costs could well add up due to very few third party options being available so being stuck with a 'dealership'.

I personally think it is better to over emphasise potential costs and risks and be pleasantly surprised than under estimate or not mention them and people end up as anti Tesla and/or electric vehicles.

Last edited:
Also, efficiency is very much conditional on the driving conditions and how the car is configured when not in use and length of drive, such as short drives and/or using cabin conditioning or sentry mode.

Absolutely true, I try and drive as sensibly as I can.

On Wednesday I achieved 100% driving on my Merc and was getting nearly 70mpg which isn't as bad. Would like to see how my driving style compares with M3 efficiency.

Attachments

• IMG_6182.jpg
    IMG_6182.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6181.jpg
    IMG_6181.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 44
@curmudgeon. re: NI plate switch on delivery day. Did you manage to register your V750 details online or by phone on the day, or did you have something in place beforehand ?

Some weeks before taking delivery of my M3 I reminded Tesla that my car will be registered in Northern Ireland and I may need NI plates. Tesla told me that I would get GB plates because Heathrow only do GB plates.

I got my GB plate number for insurance the day prior to delivery so could do insurance.

On the moring of delivery I got a text from Tesla, that I only read after taking delivery but before leaving Heatrow SC, that Tesla had just realised that my address is in Northern Ireland (duh!) and so they had made a mistake in giving me a GB plate. They then asked if I had a GB address to register the car. This would of course create an insurance nightmare, having the registered address different to where the car is kept. I told Tesla the car must be registered in NI and so they then re-registered it and replaced the plates, hence the two sets of number plates and the delay at the delivery.

There is nowhere on the account details address to specify the registered address as Norhern Ireland, just county and UK. I'm not in Belfast so Tesla just assumed my address was in UK despite me telling them it is Northern Ireland.

I'm actually really glad that someone, at the last minute, relaised the error and reissued the plates while I was at the SC.

From my experience I would conclude that Tesla must issue an NI plate if the registered address is in NI.

If Edinburgh is your SC then this will probably be done automatically, if you colect elsewhere then send the SC an email reminding them that the address is in NI and you must have NI plates.

Edinburgh goes active on the new M3 deliveries.

Just got a cancellation bringing my car forward by 11 VIN numbers ! M3P+ FSD Black. Pick up Edinburgh on the 14th August.

Totally stoked.

awesome. i was at the newbridge service centre earlier today and was told by a tesla dude there that the cars are coming in today/tomorrow and their delivery capacity is 56 cars a day.

Reactions: dst87
awesome. i was at the newbridge service centre earlier today and was told by a tesla dude there that the cars are coming in today/tomorrow and their delivery capacity is 56 cars a day.

This is exciting to me! I'm hoping for a text over the next day or two then... (Optimistic?)

I wonder how many deliveries the Edinburgh SC will be handling from Triumph Ace.

Reactions: benjamin1234
Some weeks before taking delivery of my M3 I reminded Tesla that my car will be registered in Northern Ireland and I may need NI plates. Tesla told me that I would get GB plates because Heathrow only do GB plates.

I got my GB plate number for insurance the day prior to delivery so could do insurance.

On the moring of delivery I got a text from Tesla, that I only read after taking delivery but before leaving Heatrow SC, that Tesla had just realised that my address is in Northern Ireland (duh!) and so they had made a mistake in giving me a GB plate. They then asked if I had a GB address to register the car. This would of course create an insurance nightmare, having the registered address different to where the car is kept. I told Tesla the car must be registered in NI and so they then re-registered it and replaced the plates, hence the two sets of number plates and the delay at the delivery.

There is nowhere on the account details address to specify the registered address as Norhern Ireland, just county and UK. I'm not in Belfast so Tesla just assumed my address was in UK despite me telling them it is Northern Ireland.

I'm actually really glad that someone, at the last minute, relaised the error and reissued the plates while I was at the SC.

From my experience I would conclude that Tesla must issue an NI plate if the registered address is in NI.

If Edinburgh is your SC then this will probably be done automatically, if you colect elsewhere then send the SC an email reminding them that the address is in NI and you must have NI plates.
Hope this doesn't sound pedantic and hope I'm not wrong but when you say UK don't you mean Great Britain as I think GB is England, Scotland and Wales and the UK is GB and NI.

I do fear that servicing is not as cheap as thought. Battery coolant and brake fluid changes may well be rather costly if done by Tesla. Not sure what they currently recommend

Tesla servicing used to be pretty expensive when they had 12.5k mile intervals, but not anymore since they got rid of all that. Now servicing is pretty minimal (more or less as and when needed rather than fixed mileage intervals) and there are now no battery coolant changes required:-

Car Maintenance

Reactions: Roy W.
Also, efficiency is very much conditional on the driving conditions and how the car is configured when not in use and length of drive, such as short drives and/or using cabin conditioning or sentry mode. These can considerably reduce efficiency, but again, probably same overall conclusion, although without doing the maths, using supercharging vs BMW in winter conditions, it may get quite close travel costs wise. So again, would have been good to mention other factors that affect efficiency of electric vehicles, although some also affect petrol/diesel vehicles but are usually lost in MPG seasonal variances.

There are definitely significant seasonal variations in power consumption while driving (around 25% more consumption in winter). But all the other losses from being parked, sentry mode etc are all lost in the noise. My MX loses 1-2% of battery capacity while parked overnight off charge and that's without using any of the energy saving modes i.e. I have it set to always connect. It's way cheaper than any comparable ICE car to run, especially if you are charging at home on E7 and/or free SuC access.