Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

D owners: When does current limiting occur?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes on the PD line shows up with low battery and is a big pain in the wazoo in cold weather. Goes away fairly soon for power limiting but can take 35 miles or more to give you full regenerative braking. I have had to move the charge limit up and add a hour of charge to warm battery to get proper operation. The car seems to think below 40 degrees is cold, not true, below zero is starting to get cold.

Interesting. The limiter I was seeing could have been caused by temp. As wraithnot pointed out this could occur as warm as 50 degrees. IIRC, it was mid 50s when I saw this so it could be. Never thought before that mid 50s were enough to cause any restrictions.

I would still be interested in seeing max power output (as logged via REST) against SOC for all models. It's clear that performance degrades with SOC, but I wonder if Tesla changed something with PDs to maintain the output at lower SOCs.

Interesting. The limiter I was seeing could have been caused by temp. As wraithnot pointed out this could occur as warm as 50 degrees. IIRC, it was mid 50s when I saw this so it could be. Never thought before that mid 50s were enough to cause any restrictions.

I would still be interested in seeing max power output (as logged via REST) against SOC for all models. It's clear that performance degrades with SOC, but I wonder if Tesla changed something with PDs to maintain the output at lower SOCs.
Seems to be temperature related. My drive up My Rose where I saw the limit was at a temperature of 50F.

One more data point: my P85D was down to about 14% today but I never saw the yellow line even when doing Insane Launches. (Temp about 70F)

This would seem to suggest something is very different with the new E and F packs. While we can't all seem to agree on the exact SOC trigger for current limiting, it is clear that us with classic MS definitely get it below 20%.

I went back through some videos I shot when I first got the car, because I knew that I did some of them at relatively low power levels. I have a test drive where I was at 50 miles rated range left and did not experience the top end power limitation despite doing 5 or 6 insane launches in a row. At that time, I didn't have the ability to capture telemetry data but it was my subjective impression that the launches were slower than the ones I experienced with a fuller battery pack, but there was no visible power limitation. I know that I have seen it at least once and that was on a trip home where I was concerned about making it, so I never attempted to accelerate hard enough to test it, but I remember seeing the line at that time. It was quite cold that day.

I'm just under 50% now (after not charging overnight) and not seeing it despite spirited driving.